Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-23-2017, 02:33 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Servlet not configured properly

can someone explain this error message
I have a epub which give this message for the validate stylesheets... tool

the well formed... f7 check says all OK

the book styles look ok by eye. But if i do my usual clean up routine of an epub to epub conversion in calibre, then sigil will not open the output file from that. I can see it running in talk manager, but i never get the output window. Sigil will happily open the original file

here is the offending stylesheet:
Spoiler:
Code:
h1 {
    font-weight : normal;
    font-style : normal;
}

h2 {
}

h3 {
}

h4 {
}

h5 {
}

div {
    margin-top : 0em;
    margin-bottom : 0em;
    margin-left : 0em;
    margin-right : 0em;
}

p {
    text-indent : 0em;
}

a {
    text-decoration : none;
    color : inherit;
}

.spacebreak {
    margin : 0;
}

div.informalfigure {
    page-break-inside : avoid;
}

table {
    border-collapse : collapse;
}

h4.titlechapterprologue {
margin-bottom : 1.4em;
        text-align : center;
        font-weight : bold;
        }
p.chapterprologuefirstpara {
text-align : justify;
        }

p.chapterprologue {
        text-indent : 1.5em;
        }
p.chapterprologuenoindent {
        }
h4.chaptermark {
        }
p.chapterfirstpara {
        }

p.chapter {
        }
p.chapternoindent {
        }

h4.titlechapterepilogue {
        }
p.chapterepiloguefirstpara {
        }

p.chapterepilogue {
        }

Last edited by theducks; 04-23-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: wrap long in spoiler
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
The CSS you posted is fine. Something different has to be occurring between the Original -> Calibre conversion.

Mind sharing the Original/Broken EPUBs?
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@stumped: I also got the same W3C CSS Validator error message with Sigil 0.9.8 and the following (valid) minimal CSS file.

Code:
p {
text-indent : 0em;
}

a {
text-decoration : none;
color : inherit;
}
There's either a problem with the W3C CSS Validator web site or the W3C changed the servlet API parameters.

Until this is sorted out try the following:
  1. Visit the W3C CSS Validation Service website
  2. Copy and paste your CSS code and click Check.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes,it seems that any epub I check gives the servlet message.
maybe I don't have java installed nowadays. Also, I see that the validate tries to run in edge, though my default browser is chrome.
As for the problem book, I gave up trying to figure why it would not open after conversion. Other books are fine so my sigil and calibre installs are both ok, i reckon. I discovered that I had a mobi version anyway, and that opens ok after converting it to epub.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:16 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
maybe I don't have java installed nowadays.
You don't need Java to check your CSS file. Java is only required to run epubcheck on your machine.

Quote:
Also, I see that the validate tries to run in edge, though my default browser is chrome.
I don't think that this is a browser issue, because I got the same error message with Firefox.

Quote:
As for the problem book, I gave up trying to figure why it would not open after conversion.
If you encounter this problem again, you may want to check your epub with FlightCrew or the IDPF Validator, because F7 will only do a very basic well-formedness check.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm seeing sporadic success/failure this morning (with Firefox on Windows), so I assume it's a W3C issue. I'll wait a while to see if the situation improves before investigating too deeply.

I've never been a fan of hardcoding this sort of external internet dependence into a program anyway. It's way too fragile when the website in question is not under your control.

I had a temporary CSS3 validation plugin that did much the same thing (before Sigil included the CSS2/2.1/3 preference setting). Perhaps I should dust it off and make it full featured, so that we can remove the fragile functionality from Sigil itself. That way if something goes wonky, you release a new plugin instead of invalidating features of previous versions of Sigil (moving forward).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:

But if i do my usual clean up routine of an epub to epub conversion in calibre...
This was a big shock to me as my "cleaning up" process is mostly removing all the "Calibre-isms" (among other author-induced code bloat).

Might I ask what benefit is gained by taking a fully compliant ePub from Sigil and running it through an ePub->ePub conversion in Calibre?
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
[. . .] my "cleaning up" process is mostly removing all the "Calibre-isms" (among other author-induced code bloat).
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:01 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
This was a big shock to me as my "cleaning up" process is mostly removing all the "Calibre-isms" (among other author-induced code bloat).

Might I ask what benefit is gained by taking a fully compliant ePub from Sigil and running it through an ePub->ePub conversion in Calibre?
for me - its that the CSS is then in a form that I am used to seeing, sorted & simplified. i know that the main book style will be called calibre and that the text body styles will be numbered and sorted.... the dropcaps style(s) [ which I usually remove] will be called dropcaps and not opening_charater_of_1st_line or some such nonsense
some books have what looks like a bloated, put in everything and the kitchen sink sort of css and for what I typically want to do : tweak line heights, line spacing, text margins, the calibre-ised one is easier to work with.
or at the opposite stream there may be bare <p> styles with no class. calibre will insert a class for me which I can then tweak
also calibre adds in my preferred extra css which saves me going it manually ; thats for justification, hyphenation, widows, orphans, and it standardises page margins
and it creates an original format fallback position, which I can restore from if I then proceed to mess up an edit. that gets removed only when I am fully satisfied so seeing both formats in the library signals to me that I have a tweak in progress or about to start.

Last edited by stumped; 04-24-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
for me - its that the CSS is then in a form that I am used to seeing, sorted & simplified. i know that the main book style will be called calibre and that the text body styles will be numbered and sorted.... the dropcaps style(s) [ which I usually remove] will be called dropcaps and not opening_charater_of_1st_line or some such nonsense
some books have what looks like a bloated, put in everything and the kitchen sink sort of css and for what I typically want to do : tweak line heights, line spacing, text margins, the calibre-ised one is easier to work with.
or at the opposite stream there may be bare <p> styles with no class. calibre will insert a class for me which I can then tweak
also calibre adds in my preferred extra css which saves me going it manually ; thats for justification, hyphenation, widows, orphans, and it standardises page margins
and it creates an original format fallback position, which I can restore from if I then proceed to mess up an edit. that gets removed only when I am fully satisfied so seeing both formats in the library signals to me that I have a tweak in progress or about to start.
hmmm, interesting.

I can see what you are trying to do. May I make a few points that you (or others reading) may not be aware of?

- It is possible to save a standard CSS file which can be imported to any epub. Just right-click on an existing css sheet and select "save as". After adding the file to a new ePub, right-click on your html file and select "link stylesheets". This allows you to have your css exactly how you want it - and with named classes instead of numbered so you can intuitively figure out what styling is being applied. You can edit your html without referencing which "number" does what styling. <p class="sectionbrk"> vs <p class="calibre42">

- Once you are done editing you can select "tools/delete unused stylesheet classes" to remove any excess css styles - no bloat.

- It is not required, or even a good idea IMO, to put a class name next to a standard element eg. <p class="normalparagraph"> or <body class="calibre">. You can simply style the normal element using the base tag. That makes it so much easier to determine when there are abnormal styling applied to a specific element and leaves a normal paragraph (98% of the book) uncluttered.
For example:
Spoiler:

Code:
css:
body    {margin:2px; font-family:serif}
p       {text-indent:1.2em; margin:0; line-height:1}
p.first {text-indent:0; margin-top:2em}
p.red   {color:red}

html:
<body>
<p class="first">This is the first paragraph</p>
<p>This is a normal paragraph</p>
<p class="red">This paragraph is colored red</p>
</body>

- I completely understand having a fallback file. I always "save early, save often" using the "save-as" function. Using that method you can have multiple save points in your saved editing folder.

Of course, these are all techniques. Take 'em or leave 'em. I was just wondering if there was something that Calibre does to create a more compliant ePub that I wasn't aware of.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

I get what you say, but for me it's all about familiarity.
if I were writing my own books then having a standard style sheet would make sense, but all I do is tweak to suit my own reading preferences for novels:
which other folks are welcome to hate
fully justified, no hyphens, no widows or orphans, no dropcaps, and no acres of wasted space around chapter headings. Calibre conversion does a lot of that via the extra CSS inputs and filters, then a couple of regexes take out fixed line heights and <a tags, a quick zap of fonts I don't like, set the text indent to 1.5em and I'm about done.
probably take less than a minute to prep new book for reading with that. I also zap dedications to people I don't know & will never meet, epigrams intended to show how much better read that author is than I am, and trailers for other books in the series layout.
i finish off with a quick modify-epub plugin run to fix up the TOC and a page count plug-in run for the pages that I am actually going to read. Once I have read it, I can delete the original format backup also.
I hate reading bought-from-amazon books in their original format and via the kindle app because I cannot suppress hyphens and I cannot customise page turn tap zones.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

ps - going back to post#1 and the misbehaving book:
looking at it again., it styled every body text paragraph with
<p class="chapter">...
i think this triggered calibre's chapter detection so the conversion became a book with about 5000 chapters ( the conversion ran for ages) and then sigil choked on the result and could not open it. is there an upper limit on how many chapters ( Xhtml files) sigil can handle within one book ?

just a theory

but yes, re-converting with the xpath chapter detection defaults removed in calibre, sigil is happy to open the output, and the conversion went much faster. I should have spotted that at the time, as it's not the first book I've edited where having a class called "chapter", not being used on a 1 per chapter basis, has caused conversion problems. in past encouters though, the "chapte"r style has been used on the chapter header, so the only side effect was to put headers onto their own "page", with the associated body text on the next "page"

Last edited by stumped; 04-24-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your theory is spot on.
You can: disable the detection of the word Chapter, in Calibre conversion
or
search and Replace <p class="chapter">. with <p class="para">. (or any other selection that does not colide with the detection rules)
Notice I used the complete tag to avoid other, unwanted changes.
You may need to check for <p tags that include other things (id, style?) as well)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Yes thanks, I tested by removing the default xpath thing in calibre, less hassle than changing the class name everywhere.
cross with myself for not spotting this as a probable cause.

How many "chapters" is sigil designed to cope with, or is that a how much ram do you have thing. I have 8gb
Old 04-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yes thanks, I tested by removing the default xpath thing in calibre, less hassle than changing the class name everywhere.
cross with myself for not spotting this as a probable cause.

How many "chapters" is sigil designed to cope with, or is that a how much ram do you have thing. I have 8gb
I have tweaked L.E. Modesitts books with Sigil. He loves 3 digits worth of chapters (170+)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote