Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #451
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lili819 View Post
Hi willus, thanks so much for this AWESOME tool!

I love it and am trying to get the pdf to the most comfortable reading view (whereas pre-discovering your program I was simply trying to make the pdf useful).

I'm having trouble changing the size of the body text. I want to keep the pdf in native mode

I tried:
-n -odpi 400 (only the headers changed size)
-mode fw -ls- -odpi 400 (nothing)

Is there something else I should be doing instead?
Thank you!
@Lili819-- Thank you for the kind words. Is the text spanning the full width of your device (it should be)? If it is, and you want to stay in native mode, you can't make it any bigger because you can't re-flow text and stay in native mode. By forcing native mode, you're telling k2pdfopt to fit the text to your device and this is overriding the output dpi setting.

If you still have questions, or if the text isn't filling your device width, then it will help if you post (at least a few pages of) your source PDF document.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #452
Lili819
Lili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: MPB, iOS, Kindle PW
Oh. That's unfortunate- its fitting the width of the device

I'll go try without native mode. Hmmm....
When I run it just normally it of course quarters the doc and makes the text big- but too big.

Do you have any tips for making the document look essentially native, but the text is larger?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Lili819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #453
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh. That's unfortunate- its fitting the width of the device

I'll go try without native mode. Hmmm....
When I run it just normally it of course quarters the doc and makes the text big- but too big.

Do you have any tips for making the document look essentially native, but the text is larger?

Thanks for the quick reply!
If you're not using native mode, you can use -odpi to adjust the output size, and -dr to improve the display resolution if it looks too grainy, e.g. -dr 2 will double the resolution. You can turn on OCR to recover the ability to search and highlight the text.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #454
curiouscat
Enthusiast
curiouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks for all the help. Only thing now is lines are uneven which makes highlighting messy. redoing file with justification and wrap which should fix it from what I've read
curiouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #455
curiouscat
Enthusiast
curiouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to behold

Hi, justification and wrap didn't work It now looks correct but when text is highlighted there are these strange gaps. (see screenshot) Any way to get rid of them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	106944  
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #456
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
Hi, justification and wrap didn't work It now looks correct but when text is highlighted there are these strange gaps. (see screenshot) Any way to get rid of them?
There's not really a way to get rid of the gaps. They are there because k2pdfopt doesn't use exactly the same font as your document for the internal highlighting, so the aspect ratio of the "invisible" words doesn't exactly match the graphics being displayed, assuming that you used OCR? Or is your output still in native mode?

What do you mean by justification and wrap didn't work? What precise options did you choose? Are you still working on the same sample PDF file that you posted earlier?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #457
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kindle 4
Version 2.0 of k2pdfopt GUI released

Hi everyone,
as promised previously I just released version 2.0.0.0 of my Windows GUI for k2pdfopt. It includes quite a few new functions, including automatic download and installation of Tesseract files and much more.

Check it out on: http://www.students.uni-marburg.de/~...pdfoptgui.html

Best regards
Jens
JensW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #458
Lili819
Lili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
If you're not using native mode, you can use -odpi to adjust the output size, and -dr to improve the display resolution if it looks too grainy, e.g. -dr 2 will double the resolution. You can turn on OCR to recover the ability to search and highlight the text.
*sigh*
I attempted to install the Tessaract libraries (which will def be helpful doing my Mandarin studies), but this led to a long, drawn out (still going) process of having to download the latest XCode which requires the latest OSX (which Ive been avoiding the past two years), which requires me to now backup some very large files that I've avoided completing this month.

But if at the end of this ridiculous and unforeseen process I can read the dozens of PDFs and chinese I've got sitting around on my Kindle... :

I'll post an update when its all completed. (Might be a few days :facepalm: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensW View Post
Hi everyone,
as promised previously I just released version 2.0.0.0 of my Windows GUI for k2pdfopt. It includes quite a few new functions, including automatic download and installation of Tesseract files and much more.

Check it out on: http://www.students.uni-marburg.de/~...pdfoptgui.html
I'll def be trying this out once the above is completed.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #459
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
*sigh*
I attempted to install the Tessaract libraries (which will def be helpful doing my Mandarin studies), but this led to a long, drawn out (still going) process ...
Read my OCR help page carefully. You do not need to install any Tesseract libraries. Just the language training file(s). The Tesseract code libraries are already compiled into k2pdfopt.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #460
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kindle 4
For Mandarin I think you have to take care of which language training files you download since there are several for chinese. I have no idea of this language so I can't help you further, just so you know.

Greetings
JensW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #461
Lili819

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Read my OCR help page carefully. You do not need to install any Tesseract libraries. Just the language training file(s). The Tesseract code libraries are already compiled into k2pdfopt.
Yea, I saw that, but when it still wasn't working I figured I'd install Tesseract myself. Now I realize its the environment variables that need help. I see for a Windows machine that's no problem to fix, but I'm on OS X and I don't understand the directions I've found online (including the page you most helpfully linked to).

Anyone know how to step by step change env var on OS X? And by Step-by-Step I mean For-Dummies type of instructions

UPDATE:

It works!
If anyone is running OSX and can't figure out how to get the OCR to work, you can simply download RC Environment 1.4 and follow the directions.

Tahnks @willus!

Last edited by Lili819; 06-19-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #462
curiouscat
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help. Guess you can't have everything but this is still a great tool.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #463
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
Thanks for all the help. Guess you can't have everything but this is still a great tool.
Were you using native mode in that last example, or OCR?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #464
curiouscat
Enthusiast

I used OCR
Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #465
YaJT
YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.YaJT got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle
k2pdfopt crashing

Its great software , but I have a repeatable crash.

native PDF input
native PDF output selected

the pdf file has blank pages between sections (or they look blank in pdf reader)

if I attempt to process whole file process crashes

if I skip the first blank page [#11] as follows ( -p 1-10,12- ) then it crashes on next blank page [#15]

The log as captured in JenW's GUI (2.0.1.0)

[...]
SOURCE PAGE 15 (14 of ...) (6.6 x 9.6 in) ... 4074 clear rows.
(dm=1, width=1, min_gap=42)

Hope this is enough to help repeat it.
[ Sorry cant post problematic PDF. ]
YaJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools