Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #14791
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Is it that time of the year again...

I read it for the first time last Christmas season. I think I'll have to read it again this year. Thanks for the reminder.
Don't neglect the other 4 of Dickens's "Christmas Books". All 5 are in my "Christmas Books" omnibus in the MR library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #14792
sophie1rachel
sophie1rachel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
HP

I am reading Da Vinci Code and HP 7 on my Kindle
sophie1rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #14793
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Me too, and I was pleasantly surprised at its depth. The characters were very well-drawn and of a type to draw in the reader's interests. This story will stick with me for quite a while.
I agree. I very good book club selection.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #14794
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't neglect the other 4 of Dickens's "Christmas Books". All 5 are in my "Christmas Books" omnibus in the MR library.
Very good point HarryT. Last year I read A Christmas Carol. Maybe this year I should pick one of the others. If you had to choose one - which would it be?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #14795
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Very good point HarryT. Last year I read A Christmas Carol. Maybe this year I should pick one of the others. If you had to choose one - which would it be?
I'd suggest "The Chimes".
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #14796
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Awesome thanks. I'll load it up and hopefully I have time to squeeze it in before Christmas.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #14797
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Sabazel by Lillian Stewart Carl.
I don't often abandon books, but I'm throwing in the towel on this one. There's no one thing I can point to, but I'm half way through, and I just don't care. Roman-ish level empire at war. Real gods interacting with the work, along with ghosts and malevolent spirits, and with Amazons in all but name thrown in too.

But I just don't care about any of the characters, or the world, or what happens. And there's three more books in the series! Gone from my TBR list now.

Next: Rise of a Merchant Prince by Raymond E. Feist. Book Two of the Serpentwar Saga.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #14798
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Now I am going to read Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater. It has been over 20 years since I have read this and I want to see if it is appropriate for my kids or not yet. Should be a fun and quick read.
Another fun read, but it is time to read something a little more challenging. I am not sure what yet though. Probably finish some non-fiction I started a couple months ago and left, Christians and the Common Good by Charles Gutenson. "How can Christians be active in public life without getting mired down in political polarization and controversy?"
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #14799
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Finished Komarr by Bujold. That was fun! Looking forward to reading the next one.

Now I'm reading I Dare. I started reading the Liaden books by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller this summer, and it's nice to be back in this world again. But I think there is too much focus on the mating bonds between the couples. Their new abilities are a bit too convenient.

My favourites are still the first two I read, Local Custom & Scout's Progress.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #14800
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've just started Charles Sheffield & Jerry Pournelle's, "Higher Education." I haven't read a 'Young Adult' book in... well... since I was a young adult, back when Noah was a Midshipman, and I must say, it's fun! Like a text version of 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High." I'm only about 30 pages into it, and although it seems like a "Lucky Starr" book, it's keeping my interest. Seems to be a good sort of read for a bus ride.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #14801
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've just started Philip Pullman's "Tales from the Brothers Grimm". Great fun.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #14802
shakeitsalome
shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I just began Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I've seen several movie versions of the tale but never actually read it until now. I might read the other Dickens Christmas stories when I'm done.
Quote:
I just finished A Christmas Carol. I'll read it again on Christmas Eve, I always do.

Going to download the other Christmas books by Dickens and give them a go.
shakeitsalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #14803
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Rise of a Merchant Prince by Raymond E. Feist. Book Two of the Serpentwar Saga.
A splendid continuation of the saga. And characters I care about!

Next up: Man-Kzin Wars XII created by Larry Niven. Wow. I bought this one back in December 2008, but I don't seem to have got around to it. It's time!
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #14804
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Next up: Man-Kzin Wars XII created by Larry Niven. Wow. I bought this one back in December 2008, but I don't seem to have got around to it. It's time!
I've bought every Baen "Webscription" bundle since they started selling them in (I think) 1999, but have read only a tiny proportion of them. One of the goals I've set myself for 2013 is to start reading them in chronological order, in between other stuff.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #14805
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I just finished this one, thanks for the recommendation. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I did not expect how (post)modern this Dickens tale would be. Wow!
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote