Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #31
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
This is wonderful so let me be the first to ask a bug(?) question. I was just trying it out with these results. I wonder, did I do something wrong. The Epub came from a .htm saved file (of obvious origins). Apparently some of the code wasn't handled properly by the ADE SW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	33500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	33501  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I am unable to find QWebElement in the Qt 4.5 class list. A top result of a google search shows that this class was added in Qt 4.6, which has yet to be released.
Yeah but you can do the same things in 4.5 using a javascript library. See the calibre viewer source for inspiration.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #33
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
This is wonderful so let me be the first to ask a bug(?) question. I was just trying it out with these results. I wonder, did I do something wrong. The Epub came from a .htm saved file (of obvious origins). Apparently some of the code wasn't handled properly by the ADE SW.
Javascript is not removed from the original HTML on input. I probably should have thought of that. ... But it's not really designed to deal with HTML that comes from the web (it should be though).

EDIT: Oh, create an issue and attach your source.

Last edited by Valloric; 08-02-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Javascript is not removed from the original HTML on input. I probably should have thought of that. ... But it's not really designed to deal with HTML that comes from the web (it should be though).

EDIT: Oh, create an issue and attach your source.
I'd encourage you to not remove the javascript. I think restricting e-books to not use it is silly.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #35
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'd encourage you to not remove the javascript.
I was just thinking how that could possibly be a bad idea... great, this means more work.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #36
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
After some testing, this seems like an ADE issue. At first I thought maybe Sigil was somehow converting the script tags into text, but no, it leaves them alone just fine. It even wraps them nicely inside CDATA sections as the spec requires. Sadly ADE renders them out like they're just text... in clear violation of the OPS specification, I might add.

So this is not a Sigil bug. I'll close the issue.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #37
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
About that calibre - zip issue

Quote:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CZipException'
what(): std::exception
That's what sigil tells me.
I had a look at two diffrents zip. Coudn't find out any difference that would explain. Both calibre and my opus reads it OK. Any idea what i could do to get some clues on this one ?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #38
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I had a look at two diffrents zip. Coudn't find out any difference that would explain. Both calibre and my opus reads it OK. Any idea what i could do to get some clues on this one ?
The error means Sigil was unable to extract the archive. I guess. I can't tell you more until you provide me with the epub file in question. Create an issue and attach the file.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #39
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Wonderful program Valloric, looks great so far
Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #40
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Here it is. I grabed a prc from mobileread and had calibre convert it to ePub.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Golden Snare - Curwood_ James Oliver.epub (187.1 KB, 486 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #41
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Here it is. I grabed a prc from mobileread and had calibre convert it to ePub.
I created your issue here. In the future, please use the issue tracker.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #42
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I like this app already. I t will help quite a lot! This is the software I was looking for to fine-tune my books.

I had some issues, though:

1) It seems impossible to center covers. I know that this quite inconsequential for hardware readers (the covers are full screen anyway) but it looks rather awkward in software viewers (I tested FBreader, Calibre viewer and ADE) I think you should make that possible.

3) I adjusted the right margin of the ePub to 15 pt in code view (to allow the page numbers appearing in ADE and the hardware readers with the ADEPT engine to not be swallowed up by text). Apparently this was somehow forgotten when I saved the file. It seems that you have to save right away before switching the views to make changes in the code view last.

3) I would love for an easier way to edit the TOC. Like maybe letting me fix right away what header tags I want in that tag (like for example h2 for the first and h3 for the second grade) and ignore all other headers if I so choose.

Thanks again Valloric! I appreciate very much what you have done there and it worked very well while I was playing around with it, very stable and reliable!

PS: I moved this thread to the frontpage!
Old 08-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #43
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
1) It seems impossible to center covers. I know that this quite inconsequential for hardware readers (the covers are full screen anyway) but it looks rather awkward in software viewers (I tested FBreader, Calibre viewer and ADE) I think you should make that possible.
Hm. I just select the image in Book View and press "Align Centre". This is usually reserved for text, but until I get the right click menu with image options implemented it will have to do for a WYSIWYG approach. Works fine, as far as I can tell.

And with access to the Code View you should be able to centre that image in more than a few ways.

I don't see how it can be considered "impossible".

Quote:
3) I adjusted the right margin of the ePub to 15 pt in code view (to allow the page numbers appearing in ADE and the hardware readers with the ADEPT engine to not be swallowed up by text). Apparently this was somehow forgotten when I saved the file. It seems that you have to save right away before switching the views to make changes in the code view last.
This sounds really weird. Architecturally, there are three buffers for the source code: the one the Book View uses, the one for the Code View, and the one "in the background" which represents the "real" state of the code. The other two are just temporary buffers that enable the views to display text.

Now, every time you press a button in whatever view, the change is stored in the background buffer. In fact, the entire view buffer is written to the background one. It is impossible to make a change in either view without it being directly recorded. So the background buffer is always in sync with any new changes.

When you switch to the other view, the first thing that happens before the View is shown, is that this View's buffer is replaced with the "background" one. Exporting a book always uses the background buffer (which is in sync), so your changes have to be recorded.

Then again, I could be going insane. You will have to provide a very detailed, step-by-step description that replicates this issue. Create it on the task tracker.

(For those wondering why three buffers and not just one, it's a Qt limitation. The Code View and Book View widgets require their own buffers.)

Quote:
3) I would love for an easier way to edit the TOC. Like maybe letting me fix right away what header tags I want in that tag (like for example h2 for the first and h3 for the second grade) and ignore all other headers if I so choose.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Please elaborate in more detail.

Quote:
Thanks again Valloric! I appreciate very much what you have done there and it worked very well while I was playing around with it, very stable and reliable!
Glad that you're enjoying it, but Sigil has a long way to go.

Quote:
PS: I moved this thread to the frontpage!
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #44
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Hmm

I have to concede that today is not one of my best days, so maybe I am all wrong here.

TOC:
It is simple, though:

Why can't I have an option that tells the TOC editor: I want only h2 and h3 considered when you are making that TOC, like this:

h2
h3
h3
h2
h3
h3

and ignore all the other header tags (h1, h4, h5, h6), so I can use those tags for layout only.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #45
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
After some testing, this seems like an ADE issue. At first I thought maybe Sigil was somehow converting the script tags into text, but no, it leaves them alone just fine. It even wraps them nicely inside CDATA sections as the spec requires. Sadly ADE renders them out like they're just text... in clear violation of the OPS specification, I might add.

So this is not a Sigil bug. I'll close the issue.
Thanks Valloric. This is a great program and I look forward to lots of use. Good work.
Closed Thread