Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #1246
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wasn't even sure that there was a formal MOBI spec.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #1247
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Kobo removed Mobi, hardly any Kobo owner would even notice or care. I would not notice and I would not care as I've never tried Mobi and I never will.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #1248
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0k3m0n View Post
It is ebooks reader not a eg. smartphone. It is dedicated device to do one thing right: read ebooks. We have two main ebooks format: mobi and epub - and this mean that any reader must have 101% compatibility with that. If not, it is critical bug - whatever You write. And over.
Sorry but prc/mobi is a format whose time has come and gone, probably about the time I was using a Palm Pilot as an ereader. The two main ebook formats are azw3 and epub with azw8 (KFX) as a contender and cbr/cbz, mobi and pdf well back. The prc/mobi format supported by the Kobo firmware is the original Mobipocket format so quite a few of Amazon's newer mobi format ebooks are not compatible with a Kobo ereader so conversion to epub is definitely the better choice.

As for 101% compatibility? I would love to find an epub renderer that was 100% compatible with either the epub2 or epub3 specifications.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #1249
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry but prc/mobi is a format whose time has come and gone, probably about the time I was using a Palm Pilot as an ereader. The two main ebook formats are azw3 and epub with azw8 (KFX) as a contender and cbr/cbz, mobi and pdf well back. The prc/mobi format supported by the Kobo firmware is the original Mobipocket format so quite a few of Amazon's newer mobi format ebooks are not compatible with a Kobo ereader so conversion to epub is definitely the better choice.

As for 101% compatibility? I would love to find an epub renderer that was 100% compatible with either the epub2 or epub3 specifications.
KFX is not really a contender. KFX is just a way for Amazon to combat DRM free eBooks. KFX is a mess and really needs to go away.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #1250
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KFX is not really a contender. KFX is just a way for Amazon to combat DRM free eBooks. KFX is a mess and really needs to go away.
Jon, in my not so humble opinion, Amazon is not going to drop KFX any time in the near future. Sad fact is that most corporate decisions are made for the benefit of the corporation and not for the benefit of their customers.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #1251
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, in my not so humble opinion, Amazon is not going to drop KFX any time in the near future. Sad fact is that most corporate decisions are made for the benefit of the corporation and not for the benefit of their customers.
If Amazon was going to do what was best for it's customers, Mobi would be gone by now and KFX would never have existed.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #1252
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Amazon was going to do what was best for it's customers, Mobi would be gone by now and KFX would never have existed.
Ghod! Jon and I are agreeing on something.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #1253
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wasn't even sure that there was a formal MOBI spec.
I'm not going to pretend that there wasn't any sarcasm in that statement.

But, I was curious and searched for "mobi spec". From what I can see, there is no formal spec statement. And most of what is known comes from some vague statements on the original Mobipocket site or reverse engineering.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #1254
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not going to pretend that there wasn't any sarcasm in that statement.

But, I was curious and searched for "mobi spec". From what I can see, there is no formal spec statement. And most of what is known comes from some vague statements on the original Mobipocket site or reverse engineering.
Binho. That was what I meant
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #1255
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
In "My Words", tapping "View in Book" does nothing

Product: Forma
Firmware: 5.20.14622 (3/13/20)
Plugins: Huh? No plugins on my Forma, though I do use patches and use custom (English) dictionary that has been shared on this kobo mobileread forums.
File types: kpub epubs
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: all my books are sideloaded
On external SD: Forma doesn't have external storage
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Tap Hamburger icon on top-left corner
  2. Tap "Activity"
  3. Tap "My Words"
  4. Tap one of the words in the list. For example, in my list, one word is "mufti". So I tap "mufti"
  5. I'm taken to the dictionary definition. At the bottom, it says
    Code:
    Added from Broken Earth                           View in Book

Current result: Nothing happens. Tried this with several of the "My Words".
Workaround: A workaround is to open the book manually and then do a search for the word.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #1256
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Current result: Nothing happens. Tried this with several of the "My Words".
Workaround: A workaround is to open the book manually and then do a search for the word.
Stupid question time: What, specifically, are you tapping in your attempt to go from the definition to the book?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #1257
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That usually means that there is something hardcoded in the book that the reader cannot override. It is usually a sign of a badly constructed book. Exactly what cannot be overridden is different for epubs and kepubs
I had that issue in my pre-Calibre days. I bought a Val McDermott book from B&N, and the font was too light to read on the reader I had at the time. I ended up having to read it, very slowly, on my Blackberry.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #1258
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
I had that issue in my pre-Calibre days. I bought a Val McDermott book from B&N, and the font was too light to read on the reader I had at the time. I ended up having to read it, very slowly, on my Blackberry.
When the eBook The Martian came out, it was using some very awful embedded fonts. It was using Free Serif, Free Mono, and Free Sans. On eInk they are very light. If I wasn't able to remove the DRM and dump the fonts, it would have been unreadable. I have no idea if it's been fixed since then.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #1259
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Stupid question time: What, specifically, are you tapping in your attempt to go from the definition to the book?
I'm tapping the words "View in Book".
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #1260
hmmmmmmmm
hmmmmmmmm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Arrow

Hi, first post here, not sure if this is the correct thread.
I'm not sure if I bricked it or what.

Product: Clara HD
Firmware: Latest one, I think. OTA Update a few days ago.
Plugins: None
File types: epubs
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: all from calibre
On external SD: n/a
Steps to reproduce:

Battery was at ~85%. Intended to pass a few more books to the device using Calibre.
I had configured it to use the Aura H2O software, as it didn't support Clara HD and I read it was the most similar.

I got an error on Calibre when trying to send more books that stated:
"WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details"
I went with a suggestion I found online and:
"select "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option."
Calibre did not show any error. I then unplugged my device from the PC and it was frozen on the connected screen.

I managed to turn it off using the power button. Turned it back on. Repeated this a few times, tried the "reset" protocol as well.

Current result:
Turns on and off, I think. When turning on it flashes white/black/white/black/white and stays with the screen white and the LED at bottom blinking.
Workaround: n/a

Any help would be great, thanks a lot.
hmmmmmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app