Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Macedone
Macedone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Jailbreaking PW3 5.12.1

Hi all, I am new to jailbreaking,
I saw all the wonderful things you can do with it, and I was wondering if I could jailbreak a paperwhite 3 with the firmware version 5.12.1. I don't think it is possible, this firmware just came out some months ago... Sorry if this question is stupid. And please don't say that my grammar is bad, english is not my native language.
Macedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macedone View Post
I saw all the wonderful things you can do with it, and I was wondering if I could jailbreak a paperwhite 3 with the firmware version 5.12.1. I don't think it is possible, this firmware just came out some months ago... Sorry if this question is stupid. And please don't say that my grammar is bad, english is not my native language.
The sticky thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564 permanently near the top of the page is supposed to be the starting point for finding jailbreak information. It says no for 5.12.x on any kindle.

Your only hope is using the serial port, which requires opening the case, soldering some wires and using terminal commands.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macedone View Post
I've jailbroken mine since a week ago. It's not difficult at all to do the serial jailbreak. You simply pull away the plastic front bezel (the one that says "Kindle") - it's glued in, but it isn't at all difficult to remove.
Once you do that, you plug in a serial cable (costs $2), and type a few commands from the computer side. It's so easy to do that it is entirely understandable why no developer bothers with hacking up a software jailbreak.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
patatoules
patatoules began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
I've jailbroken mine since a week ago. It's not difficult at all to do the serial jailbreak. You simply pull away the plastic front bezel (the one that says "Kindle") - it's glued in, but it isn't at all difficult to remove.
Once you do that, you plug in a serial cable (costs $2), and type a few commands from the computer side. It's so easy to do that it is entirely understandable why no developer bothers with hacking up a software jailbreak.
Hi there, today I got a PW3 running 5.12.1. Could you please share the steps you followed to get this thing done?
patatoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by patatoules View Post
Hi there, today I got a PW3 running 5.12.1. Could you please share the steps you followed to get this thing done?
It's like any other jailbreak. Nothing more than what you can find in the sticky Jailbreak Index.
You pry the bezel (it's superglued to the Kindle), take the inner core out, solder a cable to two points marked "Serial port", and that's pretty much it.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
bobtista
bobtista began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite PW3
I just completed the serial jailbreak on my PW3, but I don't see KUAL. The only book on my device is "Kindle Feedback." Did you do anything special after running jb.sh to get KUAL working?
I followed "Serial Jailbreaking your fw >= 5.6.x Kindle for Dummies" and initially tried installing KUAL with KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw. Then I saw in the thread at "KUAL: Kindle Unified Application Launcher (v2.7)" that we now need to use Update_KUALBooklet_v*_install.bin instead and rely on MRInstaller (I copied the two folders as in the instructions).The device is running 5.12.3.
bobtista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You'll first need to install a current version of the bridge/hotfix, the plain old jb.sh script is incomplete (and/or buggy, depending on how old the copy) for today's devices/FW combos.

You can basically follow the sticky, just assume what you did amounts to the factory JB and you'll be on track.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
bobtista
bobtista began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite PW3
Thanks NiLuJe! JimmyR also helped on another thread here - this forum is remarkably active, I really love it!
I installed update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_v2.7.22_install.bin, then JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix. KUAL is now working, MRInstaller too - my only issue is that the books are all missing. They're on the device in /documents but not displaying in "Your library" - if you have any ideas, let me know!
bobtista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Double-check your filtering settings. I cant say much more, as my own device is pegged somewhere around seven UI revisions ago ^^.

EDIT: Or, yeah, clearing the content db would surely do it, as you've found out .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.12.1, jailbreaking, pw3