Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Gizmodo: Plastic Logic Hands On

Couldn't find a post on this (so please delete if I missed it anywhere)

From Gizmodo (includes video)

http://gizmodo.com/5271693/plastic-l...r-and-hands-on
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
That is the first time I've seen the touch GUI really working (early demos were clearly mockups). It looks good, although it is still running through pre-tested touch sequences.

I wish they had demonstrated margin clipping and landscape mode, these are likely to be useful even for business users.

These are probably going to be priced at the high end (the KDX at $489 currently setting the low end), but may still sell well. Overall, this seems far enough along that I wonder why the release date is January 2010.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It looks as though it's very much still a prototype. 7 months really isn't that long to get from this stage to commercial release.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The device looks great. If the price is right and the formats it will read/accept include ePub and reflowable PDF, I think it could be a real winner outside the business market. This is the kind of device that newspapers like the New York Times should embrace. The Times just announced another increase in its price -- both newsstand (50 cents daily and $1 on Sunday) and subscription -- so if the paper embraced this type of device and offered a subsidized version with a long-term subscription (like U.S. cell phone companies), I think they could convert and gain a lot of subscribers.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
It's possibly the most exciting of the 'next generation' devices, but the price and service will decide it for me, however nice it looks as an ebook. I'd like a device that just lets me read and gives me choice about where the books come from - I'm perfectly capable of using the internet to find books, bookshops and publishers.

An always on, wireless store isn't worth a premium to me, but it seems to command a real premium on ebook readers. Add on the cost of 'new technology' and it's hard not to expect that the Plastic Logic reader is going to cost more than the Kindle DX - and that's already more than I really want to pay for an ebook reader.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert