Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #61
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Has anyone heard what their planned price point is? I saw this in the Boston Globe today and was surprised that its being heralded as "cheap" (as in inexpensive).
When the device was announced, it was told that the device will be 'priced competitively to Kindle' or something like that. I think the phrase might have given people the impression that it will have a similar price as Kindle. If it is the case, it can be considered 'cheap' since it has bigger screen than Kindle.

But I think it can mean anything depending on the basis for comparison. For example, if they charge the same price per square inch of the screen, the device will be much more expensive than Kindle but they can still claim it is 'priced competitively'.

Last edited by soilwork; 01-19-2009 at 03:51 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #62
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'm not sure it is being heralded as cheap... they seem to be pointing out rather heavily the differences between the proposed specs and the actual specs. so perhaps in addition to not being colour and not being flexible, it will also not be cheap. they do say plastic logic wouldn't comment on the price.
Oops...I didn't read carefull...you are correct, they were commenting on early expectations as to what was now the case.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #63
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I believe you're thinking of a epaper technology known as "Gyricon". That used the rotating balls coated with white on one side and black on the other. Though both technologies were spawned from Xerox, eInk is very different. It uses tiny particles of black and white suspended within a solution in each transparent microcapsule. When a charge is applied, varied quantities of black or white are pulled to the surface.
Well thank you. I didn't know of the new version.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Has anyone heard what their planned price point is? I saw this in the Boston Globe today and was surprised that its being heralded as "cheap" (as in inexpensive).
I hear $400 being bounced around when this was initially announced. If that is the price I will be one of the first in line. But I am not hopeful.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #65
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
anyway,the longer they wait,the greater the competition, the lower they'll have to price their reader.

I just hope the battery life will be great,and it can display a4-like papersizes and comicbooks very well!

With the slower speed of the e-ink displays, one could easily equip this device with larger and cheaper flash memory (in the likes of 4 to 8GB),without raising the manufacturing price by more than $10 (compared to 128/512Mb flash memory).
I think the extra storage space will be needed if PDF, and PPT become the main fileformats.(10-50MB per book/presentation,compared to 1-2MB per LRF book).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #66
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CvFMDWo9RE
Windows is so great. Maybe when it will have a color display we can get a blue screen.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #67
transman
transman began at the beginning.

Device: Plastic Logic Dossier
Another good video here

Looks like they fixed the issue with the line defects and this version seems to have a working operating system, unlike the one shown before Christmas. The touchscreen interface works really well, the delay is minimal, and a large number of files are supported.

Unfortunately it is not out until january 2010 at the earliest which makes useless for me as I need it now. Oh well.
transman is offline   Reply With Quote