Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2023, 03:17 PM   #1
PolyWogg
PolyWogg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Collections not "sticking" when assigned...

Hello, I can't quite tell if this is a KINDLE Paperwhite problem or a Calibre problem. I upgraded my Kindle back in June, had an old keyboard one before and never had this issue. I like to load about 300 books on from Calibre, then manually move them into small collections such as NEXT READ or TRAVIS MCGEE (for a series example) or NON-FICTION. Just a few collections to keep things organized and I can bop around as I do my next choice of reading material...On the old Kindle, it worked fine. On the Paperwhite, sometimes my "assigned collections" don't stick. Note that I do this all manually once side-loaded, and not necessarily all at once. 10 or 20 at a time over the course of two weeks perhaps. Then they're all in the right folders. If I had more books later, they show up in UNCOLLECTED and I assign them at that point.

Out of 300 books, there are about 25 that when I move to a collection, they seem to move at first. Not 25 random ones, the exact same ones. Collections will not "stick" to them...a few days later, they're back in my UNCOLLECTED section. There's nothing unique about them compared to other titles...almost all sideloaded through Cailbre. Some are MOBI, AZW3, EPUB, even a PDF. I've tried turning WIFI completely off so no SYNC would happen, and same result. After a few days (or at least a few before I notice), they go back to the UNCOLLECTED library.

I tried an option to get CALIBRE to put them into collections, but oculdn't quite make it.

Oh, and FYI, these do not all show up in Amazon, they're not conflicting with purchases I don't think. Usually after I buy something, I DL it and sideload anyway, and then remove from the AMAZON library. It's possible they were all from Amazon originally, but they are far from the only ones, almost half the books loaded are from Amazon.

Any thoughts?

I've asked a question over on Reddit for Calibre, maybe somehow I've "filled" a field that the KPW needs to assign the collection, but even if there was, I don't see how it would "appear" to move but then come back. I have one or two that WILL NOT MOVE at all. I try to assign them to other collections, and it just stays put.

FYI, I get no errors on any of this.
PolyWogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 05:35 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For newer Kindles, you would need to jailbreak the ereader and use a couple of calibre plugins. I don't have a jailbroken Kindle but seem to remember that you need Kindle Collections and LibrarianSync or Collection Manager (older Kindles only for CM). Check the Plugins subforum in the calibre forum for more information though this thread ( [GUI Plugin] Kindle Collections (Update) ) is likely to be the most helpful.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-13-2023 at 05:37 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert