Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2023, 05:31 PM   #106
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Indeed, this has been a feature of Silk since it first launched in 2011:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Silk

Quote:
For each webpage, Silk decides which browser subsystems (networking, HTML or page rendering) to run locally on the device and which to run remotely on its own Amazon EC2 servers.

Silk uses Google's SPDY protocol to speed up loading of web pages. Silk gives SPDY performance improvements for non-SPDY optimized websites if the pages are sent through Amazon's servers.[citation needed] Some early reviewers found that cloud-based acceleration did not necessarily improve page loading speed, most notably on faster connections or for simpler web pages.

Some privacy organizations raised concerns with how Amazon passes Silk traffic via its servers, effectively operating as an Internet service provider for those using the browser. The Silk browser includes the option to turn off Amazon server-side processing. On July 26, 2016 it was reported that Silk prevents access to Google over HTTPS, but that bug has since been fixed.

Silk runs with the Amazon user account of the Amazon device running Silk. To access resources from another web account, external utility apps are available, e.g. to use Chrome bookmarks from a desktop or mobile web account.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:29 PM   #107
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am able to login to Google (e.g. play.google.com/books) but not Microsoft ('JavaScript is required to sign in. Your browser does not support JavaScript or it is being blocked'). I checked settings and JS is enabled. I suppose Amazon could tweak something 'up there' and fix it.
Advert
Old 11-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #108
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I can post a short reply from my scribe browser!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 09:21 AM   #109
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
...But if I take to long to type my reply, the page refreshes and I lose what I have written, haha.
Still, I have been waiting for 13 years now, for the browser to be decent enough to browse the forums I visit daily. And that day has finally arrived! I had a good enough experience browsing this forum this morning, not a good experience posting a comment, but that doesn't matter so much to me. Going to try out some different forums now and see how they look.
Will hopefully save my eyes a little, if I can browse forums on my Scribe instead of my iPad, but that depends if the lagginess gets to me eventually, we'll see. At least they have made it better, and it is no longer abandoned.
Related to this, we had stopped taking our Scribes on trips due to the hassle of logging into hotel networks/our phones to get our daily puzzles. It was always such a battle, I just gave up in the end - maybe it will work better now... hmmm
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:10 PM   #110
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I would be nice if Amazon could get the Microsoft login to work: you could review Word documents and use the Send To Kindle feature that is built in to the web version.

And Amazon should provide Send To Kindle feature for everything viewed in the browser.
Advert
Old 11-17-2023, 08:52 AM   #111
PiperKev
Enthusiast
PiperKev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Has anyone noticed that, since this update, you can't download azw3 files with the browser any more? This sucks, because I used to be able to grab books from my calibre library or from Standard Ebooks. At least I can still sideload them. For now...
PiperKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #112
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperKev View Post
Has anyone noticed that, since this update, you can't download azw3 files with the browser any more? This sucks, because I used to be able to grab books from my calibre library or from Standard Ebooks. At least I can still sideload them. For now...
They need to be .mobi (e.g. dual format). I haven't downloaded content with Kindle browser for a long time so I would not have noticed any change.

Standard ebooks should be posting .mobi, which is what most sites still do for Kindle format (Gutenberg etc.).
Old 11-17-2023, 12:56 PM   #113
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Standard ebooks should be posting .mobi, which is what most sites still do for Kindle format (Gutenberg etc.).
Standard ebooks disagrees:

https://standardebooks.org/help/how-...oks#kindle-faq
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:57 PM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Standard Ebooks should be fixing the rubbish code they use for ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:29 PM   #115
PiperKev
Enthusiast
PiperKev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Standard Ebooks should be fixing the rubbish code they use for ePub.
Yes, yes, I know all about your issues with Standard Ebooks. I don't really care. The point is, I USED to be able to download azw3 files directly to my kindle with the browser, now I cant. Not from my calibre library, not from ANY source. They broke something in the browser with 5.16.4.
PiperKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:11 PM   #116
nathanwj
nathanwj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Maybe this is old news-- but with the new and improved browser, I was able to log into libby, check out and read books through the libby website, as well as use the "check out with kindle" function.

I did not try downloading books, but I'm sure it wouldn't work since the browser only supports .pdf and .mobi files.
nathanwj is offline   Reply With Quote