Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2023, 03:24 PM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Sorry, I'll put my tinfoil hat next time I'll update my devices. You can never be too careful.
There is a reason big organisations or one person businesses have "production" and "test" machines. It's not paranoia. And a "canary" machine is one (windows / android / linux / routers etc) where all updating is set to automatically check and automatically deploy.

I've had automatic notifications, if possible, and manual selection, on anything that allows it for over 25 years. Saved a lot of grief.

So by default I don't have WiFi on, on a Kobo or Kindle, as they don't ask if I want to upgrade. Amazingly Android phones, tablets and my one eink actually ask about system, security and application upgrades.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:32 PM   #47
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Can you elaborate on this please.
Do otaupd and otav3 exist in /usr/bin?
Can we still block updates by renaming them?
I assume that's simply the new CB01 OTA bundle type; but there may be accompanying changes.

(I haven't looked at any of this myself, and that new bundle type will probably be the extent of what I'll look into if such bundles actually ever show up publically).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2023, 03:35 PM   #48
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Can you elaborate on this please.
There is something new called AppOTA. It is related to the new eKART mentioned earlier by Bluebotlabs.

I have not looked at it enough to be sure but it appears to be a way to update the Kindle application software independently of the full firmware and Kindle OS.

Quote:
Do otaupd and otav3 exist in /usr/bin?
They still exist in the new firmware.

Quote:
Can we still block updates by renaming them?
I don't know whether renaming them will block updates or not.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-01-2023 at 03:43 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:13 PM   #49
bulltricks
bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle family
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I assume that's simply the new CB01 OTA bundle type; but there may be accompanying changes.

(I haven't looked at any of this myself, and that new bundle type will probably be the extent of what I'll look into if such bundles actually ever show up publically).
I linked to one on my thread - it doesn't appear to be individualized, but I can't explain the md5sum value in the URL, so it is possible that it contains values for a throwaway account.

The only way to get them seems to be asking for them with the "softwareupdates.amazon.com/software/inventory2" API.
bulltricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #50
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There is a reason big organisations or one person businesses have "production" and "test" machines. It's not paranoia. And a "canary" machine is one (windows / android / linux / routers etc) where all updating is set to automatically check and automatically deploy.

I've had automatic notifications, if possible, and manual selection, on anything that allows it for over 25 years. Saved a lot of grief.

So by default I don't have WiFi on, on a Kobo or Kindle, as they don't ask if I want to upgrade. Amazingly Android phones, tablets and my one eink actually ask about system, security and application upgrades.
I had small problems updating when I was on Windows. Had to troubleshoot Windows Update. On Linux, not so much. Most of the time, it was a PPA that was the culprit and on Fedora it was Selinux. So, the problem was not the update itself. But on Kobo or Kindle, no problems. None either on Mac and iOS.

Last edited by deleted2; 11-01-2023 at 05:10 PM.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2023, 12:39 AM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since my PaperWhite is not my primary reading device, I'm not that concerned about it updating. If it was my primary reading device, it would only get updates after a long enough delay that any issues would have been reported.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:54 AM   #52
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Question My two 10th gens aren't auto-updating

Tiered rollout? You think I should I force, or just leave it be?

Thanks,

Andy
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:24 AM   #53
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm pretty sure that's just the tiered rollout, I'd just let it be.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:27 AM   #54
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
Unless my memory failed me it has happened to me.
No, it happened to me as well. Screen went blank, then it restarted and started applying updates
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:53 AM   #55
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, I'll put my tinfoil hat next time I'll update my devices. You can never be too careful.
It feels weird to me to read that you talk about many distros of Linux, because that implies you know IT stuff, but the above sentence also suggests you don't do it "professionally".

If you did, you'd know that there is no such thing as "security and performance improvements" no strings attached, ever.
Any new version of any software solves old issues, and opens new ones. The difference is that the old ones, you know them, and generally have a way to mitigate them or a workaround around them. With the new ones... who knows? Just because they are new, nobody knows how impacting they are and how to solve them.
That's a general rule, that is valid everywhere, always, forever.

Maybe "that" specific update won't cause any problem, or won't take away anything that you need.. but you can never be sure. And since with Kindle you can't go back.. better wait just a little bit.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:23 PM   #56
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
It feels weird to me to read that you talk about many distros of Linux, because that implies you know IT stuff, but the above sentence also suggests you don't do it "professionally".

You're right.

Quote:
Maybe "that" specific update won't cause any problem, or won't take away anything that you need.. but you can never be sure. And since with Kindle you can't go back.. better wait just a little bit.
A valid point.

But for some feature you'd want to keep, you may miss a security patch or a system/device enhancement.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:28 PM   #57
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
A valid point.

But for some feature you'd want to keep, you may miss a security patch or a system/device enhancement.
Except "security patch" of which kind? Expecially for an e-reader. There is nothing that can be "so" dangerous, and I can guarantee you that if really a 0-day security hole was discovered, you would read about it everywhere before you get the chance to install the new fw.
When they say "security patch", etiher they are empty words, or they refer to jb holes patching. There is nothing that is so urgent that you have to patch immediately.

For the rest: you might miss an enhancement... or not. That is precisely the point: they're not telling you "never do the update", they're just explaining why they don't do it immediately - what you couldn't understand: do it, absolutely, but wait a few days to see on other people's kindle what happens, what changes and what not.
Old 11-05-2023, 12:09 PM   #58
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
(...) do it, absolutely, but wait a few days to see on other people's kindle what happens, what changes and what not.
Well, it's a dirty job, but someone gotta do it. For the sake of the others.
Old 11-05-2023, 12:23 PM   #59
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Absolutely!
And on behalf of Quoth, J.p.s., kyrilson, me and a many others, thank you for being the guinea pig.

Anyway, mine was just an explanation on your original (implicit) question, when you said you don't understand why people don't apply updates as soon as possible.
There's a very sound reason not to, while the urgency to fix security issues is so low to be practically non-existent (and in case of Kindles, it is factually non-existent as the security fix Lab126 talks about are usually just made up, and more, you can just keep wifi off for a few days).

To be honest, your points are not unworthy in general: they would be valid if you're talking about "not applying updates EVER", but that was not the point of OP.
Do it, but don't rush to do it, or festina lente as Romans said.

Last edited by Ruskie_it; 11-05-2023 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Forgot you can keep wifi off a few days and be 100% safe
Old 11-05-2023, 02:56 PM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpigs2sml.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	204588

Fond of cucumber.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote