Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #61
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Changelog.old.yaml
Code:
- version: 0.8.50
  date: 2012-05-04

new features:
    - title: "Tweak Book: Allow tweaking of KF8 MOBI files. Useful to fine-tune the result of a conversion. Right click on the book and select Tweak Book to use the feature. Note that tweaking a MOBI file that contains both KF8 and older MOBI6 will cause the MOBI6 version to be discarded."

- title: "AZW3 output plugin. This output plugin generates pure KF8 mobi files. These only work on the Kindle Fire and Kindle Touch with latest firmware."

[...]

- version: 0.8.48
  date: 2012-04-20

new features:
    - title: "Conversion: The search and replace feature has been completely revamped."
      description: "You can now use any number of search and replace
      expression, not just three. You can also store and load frequently used
      sets of search and replace expressions. Also, the wizard generates its
      preview in a separate process to protect against crashes/memory leaks."
      tickets: [983476,983484,983478]

- title: "Support for the new '.azw3' files that Amazon recently started generating. calibre will now detect them as ebooks. It can also view/convert them, if they are DRM free."

[...]

So that would be version 0.8.48 released on April 20, 2012 -- which first implemented AZW3.
And two weeks (releases) later, calibre could create AZW3.

Just about exactly 6 months after the beginning of the KF8 announcement thread here.

Gosh, that quickly? If I had blinked, I would've missed it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #62
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
So I see people were just as hot and bothered about KF8 as they are now about KFX.
Are they? The protection of copyright and the fight against piracy is a good thing, is it not?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Just about exactly 6 months after the beginning of the KF8 announcement thread here.
Thanks for that. I'm surprised it was that quick. I think it was several months after that that it became sufficient stable for practical use in creating KF8 books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Are they? The protection of copyright and the fight against piracy is a good thing, is it not?
'piracy protection' is provided by DRM.

Kindle_Unpack only works on books which are not protected by DRM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #65
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Um, what?

It's the intellectual crime of the century.

I just don't think KFX is a meaningful "protection of copyright and the fight against piracy".
Any more than KF8 was.
Advert
Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I just don't think KFX is a meaningful "protection of copyright and the fight against piracy".
Any more than KF8 was.
The main goal of KFX appears to be the delivery of device-specific image resolutions, as an extension of the little-used AZW6 format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #67
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main goal of KFX appears to be the delivery of device-specific image resolutions, as an extension of the little-used AZW6 format.
Well now. It appears you're just drinking the kool-aid.
(Mmmm, tasty.)

Quote:
I previously made this very obvious point re: kfx and it was met by a wall of denial from some users who instead argued that the new file format had been introduced to allow scalable images in books. Pretty silly really, especially coming from apparently intelligent people.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #68
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
'piracy protection' is provided by DRM.
I would think it can be provided via encryption and obfuscation, no? It can take many forms, not just DRM.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #69
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
It's the intellectual crime of the century.
How so? Intellectual property rights and copyright must be protected, wouldn't you agree?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #70
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you mean "April 2012"?
Quote:
P.S. That is April 2012, not April 2011.
I did indeed make a typo. But my original statement was accurate, just not precise.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #71
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
How so? Intellectual property rights and copyright must be protected, wouldn't you agree?
You appear to be starting from the assumption that I support DRM, and, I suppose, the DMCA, modern copyright law, and a raft of other things.

Unfortunately for you, I don't, and I won't bite.

Modern copyright law sucks, "life or 50" is something I would begrudgingly compromise on, the DMCA should've been shot at birth (I cannot fathom why it isn't illegal for that law to even exist, actually), and DRM is a pointless stupidity that protects nothing, interferes with the fundamental rights of consumers, costs everyone money, and was probably invented by a Lovecraftian horror.

And despite all that, I STILL don't see why KFX is a problem.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #72
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I would think it can be provided via encryption and obfuscation, no? It can take many forms, not just DRM.
You can't expect to invert the components of a sentence and have it remain true.

I only posted what is intended to provide "piracy protection" (DRM).
I did not claim it was the sole means to that end.

You would have better luck in making your point, if you did not intentionally mis-quote people.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #73
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I did indeed make a typo. But my original statement was accurate, just not precise.
Excuses, excuses.

OK, I'll let it pass, this time.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #74
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
The only problem with that is that an unprotected (DRM Free) kfx file can be read on ANY kindle that supports the format, no matter what device it was originally downloaded for.

So in terms of kfx as an "anti-piracy" format...not so much.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #75
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The ability for anyone to produce unencrypted KF8 books using kindlegen was a significant factor in reverse engineering that format. The apparent encryption of all KFX books (including public domain works that are encryption-free in other formats), along with the lack of a tool to generate KFX on demand, are obstacles to deciphering that format. I am certain they will be overcome if the need arises.

One thing that came to light a while ago is that KFX was originally developed to support interactive magazines on Fire tablets. I purchased one of the new inexpensive Fire tablets recently and also purchased a magazine issue for it. I found that it was visible on the tablet as a set of unencrypted KFX files in a freely accessible directory. That may provide a means to discover more about the format, though there are possibly differences between the book and magazine variants.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote