Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #61
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
lmixer: 00000010 A++ | ! 00000010 ++ ?

THIS PAGE CONTAINS A COPY OF STRACE FOR THE KINDLE 3. AND MAINLY DETAILS ABOUT A NOW FIXED BUG. *** SKIP TO NEXT PAGE FOR MORE AUDIO DETAILS ***

================================================== ==========
Threads continue:

I think a copy of lmixer would be a good idea.
http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/Lmixer/

True it's possibly replacing existing functionality, but in a tiny and tidy way when we absolutely must set something somewhere in a quick and tidy way.

It's light and simple. implemented in c++.

Hands up for that one.

Last edited by twobob; 07-11-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: added page precis
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If you can find a: lmixer -c redink bold
then you will make GM happy.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #63
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
where is that "alsa.conf"

K3 WiFi, firmware 3.3. @twobob, would have a suggestion on how to address my problem?
Code:
[root@kindle us]# ./sine
Playback device is plughw:0,0
Stream parameters are 44100Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Sine wave rate is 440.0000Hz
Using transfer method: write
ALSA lib conf.c:3700:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /home/simon/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_CodeBench_Lite_for_ARM_GNU_Linux/share/alsa/alsa.conf
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM plughw:0,0
Playback open error: No such file or directory
[root@kindle us]#
Also, same error in microphone:
Code:
[root@kindle us]# aplay -D dmix0 ImNotReal.wav;\
> ./microphone -d hw:0 -f cd -r 44100 | aplay -f cd -D hw:0 -r 44100
ImNotReal.wav: No such file or directory
./microphone: invalid option -- 'f'
ALSA lib conf.c:3700:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /home/simon/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_CodeBench_Lite_for_ARM_GNU_Linux/share/alsa/alsa.conf
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hw:0
microphone: Device cannot be opened  -d (No such file or directory)
aplay: playback:2021: read error
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #64
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm... This looks like I foofed on the STATIC Alsalibrary build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
K3 WiFi, firmware 3.3. @twobob, would have a suggestion on how to address my problem?
[CODE][root@kindle us]# ./sine
Cannot access file /BLAH

Also, same error in microphone:
Code:
[root@kindle us]# aplay -D dmix0 ImNotReal.wav;\
> ./microphone -d hw:0 -f cd -r 44100 | aplay -f cd -D hw:0 -r 44100
ImNotReal.wav: No such file or directory
Cannot access file /BLAH
AH! Thanks very much. Looks like I must have fluffed the Alsalib build, I will sort that out now! My apologies. The file is actually in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf. EDIT: This is now fixed

Thanks for letting me know I have a problem.
Apologes for the foobar.

Last edited by twobob; 07-10-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: elided full quote, Added solution
Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #65
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
It plays a simple sine wave to our speaker - pretty dull huh?
But it paves the wave for all kind of coolness so here's the blurb ...
Okay, if I replace the sine function with a square function (x*x), would it then output a square wave instead of a sine wave?

Seriously, it is time to add some K5 touchscreen code to make a touch stylophone.

BTW, I think that I use more than other icons.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 07:56 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #66
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Okay, if I replace the sine function with a square function (x*x), would it then output a square wave instead of a sine wave?
You can make any .wav file for play-back (including a square wave) with LTspice (or any SPICE-3 program) with the .wave directive, as in:
.wave "path\to\outputfile.wav" 16 44100 NODE
Where "NODE" is the point in the circuit you want to record voltage changes as the content of the .wav file.

Combine being able to play whatever is generated by any sort of circuit with being able to define your own zero distortion (ideal) components ..
Mind boggling possibilities.

I posted the Custom Component HowTo yesterday:
http://knetconnect.com/ltspice/CustomComponents.html
That and other useful links can be found in the top post of the "Kindle Charger" thread.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #67
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can make any .wav file for play-back (including a square wave) with LTspice (or any SPICE-3 program) with the .wave directive, as in:
.wave "path\to\outputfile.wav" 16 44100 NODE
Where "NODE" is the point in the circuit you want to record voltage changes as the content of the .wav file.

Combine being able to play whatever is generated by any sort of circuit with being able to define your own zero distortion (ideal) components ..
Mind boggling possibilities.

I posted the Custom Component HowTo yesterday:
http://knetconnect.com/ltspice/CustomComponents.html
That and other useful links can be found in the top post of the "Kindle Charger" thread.
That is interesting, but I am sure you realized my "square wave" comment was meant as a joke, right?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #68
twobob

Post STEP 1 ) STRACE 4.7 -static for the kindle 3

Okay maybe it's just me but getting strace to build and run is a Pain In The -brain-

So to this end here is an strace that is statically built against the Kindle 3 Arm6 in SB2

This one works on mine - the previous "strace" I cited -
Suffered from a known bug and wouldn't play at debugging some bins.

I have included the 4.7 here
(mainly since it was such a pain to build, although not too bad once the hiccups had gone)

In the end I reffed this for sanity checking
http://discuz-android.blogspot.co.uk...race-tool.html

Hope this helps someone else.

==========================================
= AS ALWAYS THIS MAY EXPLODE YOUR KINDLE =
==========================================

Well, not really but your mileage may vary.

Now Step 2) fix that alsa conf call!
Attached Files
File Type: gz strace.tar.gz (560.1 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by twobob; 07-10-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: YMMV
Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
That is interesting, but I am sure you realized my "square wave" comment was meant as a joke, right?
Yes.
But the reference to the new "HowTo" was not.

The example custom component that uses an "Ideal" diode with strange characteristics will convert almost anything into a square wave. Once you "program" it with the required characteristics.

The evolution of the "Kindle Charger" is a bus-man's holiday from writing the KeK manual for me.

Both topics have information useful to the DIY hobbyist here.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #70
geekmaster

I plan to play with LTspice when I get some "free" time. Got a lot of "catching up" to do at work at the moment...

P.S. When I needed strace, I just swiped a binary strace from an android distro. It worked well on my kindles.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #71
twobob

YMMV

Quote:
I plan to play with LTspice when I get some "free" time. Got a lot of "catching up" to do at work at the moment...

P.S. When I needed strace, I just swiped a binary strace from an android distro. It worked well on my kindles.
Tried that. Didn't manage to find one that worked.

Some kind of list with

"STRACEs"
K2 = http://thisone
K3 = that one
K4 = the other one

(and some notes about headers)
Would probably go a long way if grabbing externally is the easiest way.

I didn't include any "specific" headers in that build so bits will be missing - hence YMMV.
knc1 has advised me that there would need to be quite the list as each kernal would need to be accounted for. At the end of the day - some clear instructions to correctly construct your own and the tools to do it are obviously the best option.

I would have been happy to find this strace a couple of days ago myself so I shared it
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
That is probably the one that is indexed in tools (for now).

I have seen traces posted here from it that shows there are "Amazon Kernel" specific syscalls it can't decode.
The KeK thread/project will eventually build a Kindle-Specific version.

For now, what we have is better than a WAFG.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #73
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is probably the one that is indexed in tools (for now).

I have seen traces posted here from it that shows there are "Amazon Kernel" specific syscalls it can't decode.
The KeK thread/project will eventually build a Kindle-Specific version.

For now, what we have is better than a WAFG.
Yeah, solving the 5.1.0 eink header structure breakage was a bit tough with that deficient strace. It would have been nice if it decoded the syscalls better.

EDIT: Although wikipedia (and all MY google hits) defines WAFG as a Christian radio station, I suspect you meant "Wild Ass F-ing Guess", right?

@twobob: Regarding the "exploding kindle" warning, you aren't hijacking the battery charging algorithm are you?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

EDIT: Although wikipedia (and all MY google hits) defines WAFG as a Christian radio station, I suspect you meant "Wild Ass F-ing Guess", right?
Sometimes prayer helps, as does finger gestures but your alternate is what I meant.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #75
twobob

I did get the static alsalib calls to not reference the silly directory - at the expense of the PLUGHW functionailty. I can live with that for now. if you want the gory details read on:

===============================================

Spoiler:

Err... Config.h in alsa dir

/* directory containing ALSA configuration database */
#define ALSA_CONFIG_DIR "/usr/share/alsa"

What am I doing wrong? sigh...
I'll keep digging.

EDIT: Hmm. the config.log line 1101 datarootdir='${prefix}/share' looks suspicious...
Might have a fiddle with that.

EDIT: I see a datadir = ${prefix}/share in the Makefile...
perhaps I should just give datadir = /usr/share a go

What's the worst that could happen

FROM: http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/ht...Variables.html
Code:
‘datadir’

The directory for installing idiosyncratic read-only architecture-independent 
data files for this program. This is usually the same place as ‘datarootdir’, 
but we use the two separate variables so that you can move these program-specific 
files without altering the location for Info files, man pages, etc.

This should normally be ‘/usr/local/share’, but write it as ‘$(datarootdir)’. 
(If you are using Autoconf, write it as ‘@datadir@’.)

The definition of ‘datadir’ is the same for all packages, so you should install 
your data in a subdirectory thereof. Most packages install their data under 
‘$(datadir)/package-name/’.
EDIT: Just so we are clear, I am out of my depth here

EDIT: Well. I think I fixed it. access to the hw pcm works anyways without fault for now.
The plughw no longer seems happy.

I did check the version of the Alsalib I built it against: and that's the 13 build.
For now I will rollback my stuff to just use the hw port and look at the issue again so the demos are working.

Last edited by twobob; 07-10-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added config.log info, tidied up datadir quote - added solution

Tags
stupid root mistakes