Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
How the controls feel to you? Page turning is comfortable? And how does the writing feel, maybe it's not as terrible as I imagine with a 5 way controller?
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #32
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Holy crap! The screen has a GREATLY increased contrast. Much improved even over the K3. I don't know how they did it since they both use Pearl screens. The K3 screen now looks dull and as though it has a layer in front of it, but the K4 looks terrific.

Photo coming in a few minutes!
I noticed that right away too. I thought ... wow, that looks even better than the K3, by a lot.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
How the controls feel to you? Page turning is comfortable? And how does the writing feel, maybe it's not as terrible as I imagine with a 5 way controller?
Controls are about the same as K3. Page turn buttons are a bit more narrow and about the same height but very usable. The onscreen keyboard is not a good experience compared to the K3's keyboard, but fortunately I don't type much on my readers.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #34
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
It looks like it has the black IR touch border.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #35
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Jack, could you see if you can install custom font and adjust margin via editing reader.pref

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._Change_Margin

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99355

Much obliged.

Is the reading progress bar still there? Hideable?

Ps: I can't see any screen improvement from your screenshots, but your eyes know better. I hope it's not some fluke. These units do vary a little.

Man I wish they hadn't dropped audio capability.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Do eInk screens deteriorate over time? Could that be the reason the brand new Kindle contrast looks sharper?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #37
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Holy crap! The screen has a GREATLY increased contrast. Much improved even over the K3. I don't know how they did it since they both use Pearl screens. The K3 screen now looks dull and as though it has a layer in front of it, but the K4 looks terrific.
Uh oh.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #38
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Someone put up a quick unboxing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmvsXenZiZI

Ok, he doesn't do anything but take it out of the box. What a tease.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #39
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
How do you play games without the keyboard?
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #40
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
The onscreen keyboard is not a good experience compared to the K3's keyboard, but fortunately I don't type much on my readers.
Yeah, and that's understandable.

But if contrast looks better, landscape mode is the same, I will think about it. Maybe I will wait until December or January. My assumption is that Best Buy, Target, etc, will have some on display.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Jack, could you see if you can install custom font and adjust margin via editing reader.pref

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._Change_Margin

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99355

Much obliged.

Is the reading progress bar still there? Hideable?

Ps: I can't see any screen improvement from your screenshots, but your eyes know better. I hope it's not some fluke. These units do vary a little.

Man I wish they hadn't dropped audio capability.
I used the calibre plugin method as it is much easier. I successfully changed the margins from 40 to 15!!!! I don't think the font hack worked though, but I'll try it again.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #42
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
I used the calibre plugin method as it is much easier. I successfully changed the margins from 40 to 15!!!! I don't think the font hack worked though, but I'll try it again.
You have a link to the calibre plugin method for margins?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Will have to educate myself on this calibre plugin thing. Totally clueless.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #44
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
How do you play games without the keyboard?
Sorry, not to be rude or offensive, so apologies if I do. But playing games on a eink device?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #45
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Will have to educate myself on this calibre plugin thing. Totally clueless.
Well, you're not the only one. I have a Kindle for over a year. I missed that one.