Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #61
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Interesting coincidence, Januaryman - I'm reading The Imperfectionists now, as well as listening to The Dubliners on audio.
Ah! Just saw this, SeaBookGuy! What were your thoughts on Imperfectionists? I enjoyed it, but it's not a classic, in my mind. Not like Dubliners. (Who was reading the book, an Irishman? That might be interesting to listen to.)
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #62
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm almost finished with The Imperfectionists, finding it overall rather grim. If you recall the story about the "old" guy and his "much younger" girlfriend (27), where the picture of her gets circulated ... near the end of the story, we find out he's only 41 - I had thought he was more like 60 the way the author put such a fine point on it!

I haven't listened to any Dubliners stories in a while. I believe the reader has more of an generic English accent than a heavy Irish one, at least for the omniscient third-person voice. I ripped the stories from a CD set and put them on my Sony e-reader actually, for times when I just didn't feel like actually continuing with the ebook, downtime, etc.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #63
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Vicki Tyley's three Down Under mysteries: Thin Blood, Sleight Malice, and Brittle Shadows, all of which are available at Smashwords.

Also excellent is Annmarie Banks's An Unfettered Mind, which is free at Smashwords.

Last edited by rhadin; 03-26-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: correct a misspelling
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #64
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Since the start of the year the best i've read have been:

The Twilight Saga- Stephenie Meyer
The Passage- Justin Cronin
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas-John Boyne
Adding:

In the dark-Mark Billingham
A good day to die/The Business of dying - Simon Kernick.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #65
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I have Sleepyhead by Mark Billingham but haven't read him yet
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #66
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
In the past couple months? Tough, but I'd have to say The Warsaw Anagrams by Richard Zimler about an elderly Jew in the Warsaw Ghetto who tries to solve the murder of his young nephew. Grim and felt a little disjointed at times, and yet it's stayed with me. Always a sign of a good one. I reviewed it here, by the way.

There are others. My secondary book is the German version of Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada, based on the true story of a modest Berlin couple who decide to resist the Nazis after losing their son in the war (Jeder Stirbt für Sich Allein, or Alone in Berlin [UK]). Really enjoying it when I can get to it.

But there's so many!
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #67
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Two latest books in the Paks series:
Oath of Fealty and Kings of the North
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #68
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
The Keep is what I just finished reading so it is the best until I finish the next book
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #69
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
Just finished Tunnel People

"First published in the Netherlands in 1996, this book chronicles Voeten’s five-month exploration of the society that exists underneath the streets of Manhattan. Voeten, an accomplished war photographer and reporter, didn’t write about the people who lived in the tunnels under New York from the point of view of an observer. He lived in the tunnels, grew to know the people who lived there, and came to understand not just how they got there but also the society they have created. Like Jennifer Toth’s Mole People (1993) and Matthew O’Brien’s Beneath the Neon (2007), Voeten’s book captivates readers with its compassionate portraits of the people and their surroundings, while exploring the surprisingly varied reasons why these men and women wound up living just beneath the surface of the reader’s world."--David Pitt

I recomend this to anyone especially interesting if youv'e ever ridden a NYC subway.
There is a documentary film called Dark Days which examines this subject as well. Well made film with soundtrack by DJ Shadow.

Check it out.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #70
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
The black and white documentary is awesome. Its less of a story than most docs but instead makes you feel like your experiencing what you see. Plus who doesn't like Dj Shadow?
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #71
skydiamond
skydiamond began at the beginning.

Device: hugo.joris@gmail.com
However, Harlan Coben is one of my favourites! And I really enjoyed his newest Live Wire!
skydiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #72
jumpingjack42
DiSpLaCeD
jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle 2
"The Passage" by Justin Cronin - I know it had mixed reviews but I loved it.
A close second to that - I'd say "World War Z" by Max Brooks.
jumpingjack42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #73
ReneeMR
ReneeMR began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Inspire
Water For Elephants and Cutting For Stone
ReneeMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #74
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I just finished The Miracle Inspector by Helen Smith. It is a well-written book and one worth reading. It felt like an incomplete story to me, as if the author suddenly became compass-less. However, the journey from the start to the current finish is worth taking. I would rate the tale as 4 stars because of my feeling it is incomplete.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #75
Kerfuffle
Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.

Device: Sony Prs-650 (mine) Sony PRS-T1 (wife's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
My secondary book is the German version of Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada, based on the true story of a modest Berlin couple who decide to resist the Nazis after losing their son in the war (Jeder Stirbt für Sich Allein, or Alone in Berlin [UK]). Really enjoying it when I can get to it.

But there's so many!
I second this. I read the English translation a few months ago and it is a fantastic book, really worth reading. Don't be put off by the setting if you are not interested in WWII and the Nazis. The book is universal in its treatment of people living under oppression.

I really enjoyed it.
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote