Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #16
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Cutting for Stone

It was a fantastic book.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Everyman by Philip Roth
Waiting by Ha Jin
Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
Lene1949
I agree. A great book. Would make a great movie.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #19
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
I just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's the first book of his that I've read and I was totally blown away. I feel like I need to sit with it for awhile and digest it -- wring out all the meaning. It's definitely the best book I've read in a long time.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Thanks for all the reco's! Cutting for Stone is now on my reader, and I'm looking forward to starting it. Thanks to this thread, I picked up a Bill Bryson I've been meaning to read (Notes From a Small Island), and will probably get At Home as well.

Thanks again!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #21
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #22
willijt
Zealot
willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Nook
Dutch Treat

Outsider in Amsterdam by Janwillem van de Wetering

It features the police duo of Adjutant-Detective Henk Grijpstra and Detective-Sergeant Rinus de Gier. The interplay and social commentaries between and by the two almost render the plot a subordinate item. Delightful reading. For more about these two crime-fighters visit the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grijpstra_and_de_Gier
willijt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Since the start of the year the best i've read have been:

The Twilight Saga- Stephenie Meyer
The Passage- Justin Cronin
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas-John Boyne
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #24
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I just finished Homer and Langley by E.L. Doctorow and quite enjoyed it.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
Wintings
Wintings began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have just finished reading The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal and can't recommend it highly enough. Although it purports to be the history of a collection of small Japanese carvings (netsuke) it is really about the author's exploration of his family's history. And what a history! Fabulously wealthy Russian Jewish bankers in Paris and Vienna in the 19th and early to mid 20th centuries, they were patrons of the likes of Renoir and Degas, and one ancestor served as the 'model' for Proust's Charles Swann. The family's treatment at the hands of the Nazis in the 1930s and 40s is very movingly, but unsentimentally, portrayed.

It's not the sort of book I would normally read - I tend to prefer science to the fine arts, modern thrillers to history, and books about mathematics to biographies - but this one had me entranced from start to finish. I urge you to read it. The book won the 2010 Costa biography award.
Wintings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #26
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetotree View Post
Water for elephants
In the Lap of the Gods
Cutting for Stone
The Art of Racing in the Rain - reading now
Blood of the Wicked - reading now
Water for Elephants I really enjoyed reading as well

Also:
Shipping News by Annie Proulx
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsover

Last edited by lila55; 03-08-2011 at 02:07 PM.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #27
Ritar551
Kindle 3. Nook 3. iPad
Ritar551 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Angel Island written in 1914 by Inez Haynes Gillmore
Ritar551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #28
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thumbs up JLB - Glass Rainbow.

My family always know what to get me for Christmas - the latest James Lee Burke, who is in my top 5, and probably my top , favourite authors.

So I waited for "The Glass Rainbow" by JLB - and got a Sony 650 instead !
But, they paid for the ebook, so all was well !
It is a sort of post-Katrina work, I think it's fair to say.

Simply, it is what I always expect , superb writing. He is referred to as one of the finest living American writers, and that's about it, really.
I still remember hearing a radio interview, which sent shivers down my spine, about his "Katrina" book, "The Tinroof Blowdown" and what led him to write it. Actually hearing him for the first time impressed me no end.
When I read "..Blowdown... , I felt angry, frustrated, staggered, all these, and, well, just exhausted and wrung out, over the stupidity, and appalling waste of the whole ghastly episode.

[ I admit to feeling guilt over not reading the "...Rainbow real book - until, in my local (Waterstones) bookstore, I spotted a 7-day special offer of the hardback at half-price, so, yup, I have that too. And still at less £'s than the h/back would have cost me, on it's own, at launch. More guilt - but I don't care ! ]
And I treated myself to 2 Robichaux t-shirts.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'll certainly echo the praise for Cutting for Stone. Loved it, and have recommended it many times.

It seems we don't have many Canadian books recommended except Margaret Atwood who I personally dislike.

These Canadian books are definitely the best I've read in the past while:

The Bishop's Man - Lynden MacIntyre
A Map of Glass - Jane Urquhart
The Winter Vault - Anne Michaels
Fall - Colin McAdam
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #30
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The Ninth Directive by Adam Hall

A spy story so good I read only a chapter a day to savor it and stretch out the pleasure!

http://www.amazon.com/Ninth-Directiv...9704449&sr=1-1
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote