Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Langtail Press - Mystery Lovers Rejoice

I've just discovered this wonderful publishing house, which (in its own words):

Quote:
A NEW LEASE OF LIFE…

The Langtail Press brings back books that have been out of print, or unavailable – the theory being that a good book is always a good book, and that an old book is a new book if you haven’t read it yet.
The list is primarily geared around Crime/ Mystery novels. Authors that were (and still are) revered but whose books have slipped out of print. These books give a taste of where the genre comes from and are a must for any crime aficionados.
Their current author list includes: Anthony Berkeley, Elizabeth Ferrars, Ellery Queen, Fredric Brown, Freeman Wills Crofts, Gavin Black, James Hadley Chase, Joan Fleming, John Dickson Carr, P M Hubbard, and Richard Hull.

Amazon offers Kindle and paperback editions.

Also - they welcome suggestions for additions to their catalog.

Check them out: http://www.langtailpress.com/

[No, I am not affiliated with this press in any way - I'm just tickled to find a source for these Golden Oldies].
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
49 of the titles are on Amazon US as e-books for $8 a piece. That's considerably better than $14.95 paper or £12 from Amazon UK ... but still a bit rich for works that have, arguably, more than "slipped out of print". Nonetheless, nice to find a publisher willing to make the effort to restore the works and acquire the appropriate rights (most are still in copyright although somewhat long in the tooth).

There was a brief discussion of the imprint on the Crime Fiction thread in late January.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yay for Fredric Brown!

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope this press is aggressive in acquiring the publishing rights (at least ebook rights) to the older authors. So many Golden Age authors publishing rights are currently held by Rue Morgue press - which is stridently anti-ebook.

Thanks SensualPoet for the tip about the Crime Fiction thread.

I'm currently revelling in Elizabeth Ferrars - she was compared to Agatha Christie, especially for her intricate plotting, but her characters are more richly drawn.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm disappointed that they are not offering epubs!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm disappointed that they are not offering epubs!
Send them a message on their site - they welcome input from readers.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Thanks! Glad to see John Dickson Carr coming to ebooks at a reasonable price. I discovered him back in the 70s and read everything I could find by him and his alter ego.

The locked room mystery was one of my favorite genres and he was the best (that I know of anyway). I just ordered "He Who Whispers" and if it holds up (and I think it will; alas, many of my other old faves have not), I'll buy the rest of them.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm currently revelling in Elizabeth Ferrars - she was compared to Agatha Christie, especially for her intricate plotting, but her characters are more richly drawn.
The name is not familiar; I'm sure I've never read her work. I am toying with purchasing "Give a Corpse a Bad Name", the first of five Toby Dyke stories and written during WWII; or "I, Said the Fly" from 1945, a stand alone mystery which has a very Christie like title. There are probably worse ways to spend $8.

Recos?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The name is not familiar; I'm sure I've never read her work. I am toying with purchasing "Give a Corpse a Bad Name", the first of five Toby Dyke stories and written during WWII; or "I, Said the Fly" from 1945, a stand alone mystery which has a very Christie like title. There are probably worse ways to spend $8.

Recos?
I just finished Ferrars' "Enough to Kill a Horse" - wonderfully plotted - a new twist on the "Murder in the Country Village" genre. Now reading through her collection of short stories "Designs of Life" - also marvelously plotted & well written.
About to start the Toby Dyke series and whatever else is now available. Will report back as I read further!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
Thanks! Glad to see John Dickson Carr coming to ebooks at a reasonable price. I discovered him back in the 70s and read everything I could find by him and his alter ego.

The locked room mystery was one of my favorite genres and he was the best (that I know of anyway). I just ordered "He Who Whispers" and if it holds up (and I think it will; alas, many of my other old faves have not), I'll buy the rest of them.
I too have rediscovered John Dickson Carr/Carter Dickson - and they have held up well for me! I'm hugely enjoying these, as well as the Ellery Queen titles.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ouch - Amazon UK are charging £8 apiece, which is a bit steep for books of this vintage. Most comparable books seem to sell in the £4-5 range.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:

Recos?
I've just started "Give a Corpse a Bad Name" - it's reading like an Agatha Christie with some screwball comedy characters. Fun so far.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard

So how did the Elizabeth Ferrars titles work out? Good formatting of the ebook? Satisfying read by the time you got to the end?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
So how did the Elizabeth Ferrars titles work out? Good formatting of the ebook? Satisfying read by the time you got to the end?
The books are VERY well formatted & proof-read.

The Toby Dyke books are a bit odd - he's quite an oddball character with a sidekick George that does all the work ... sort of .... I think you will either like them or hate them .... they're growing on me.

The stand-alones are superb! "Enough to Kill a Horse" was a hoot - and a great mystery. I'll be continuing my odyssey through them. The Langtail website had an announcement that they would be adding quite a few more titles this year - of Ferrars and others!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard

Excellent and thank you. I will most definitely plop a couple of these onto my tbb&r list!