Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2024, 05:40 AM   #2161
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbooks View Post
Hi there, i downloaded kindle app and book i purchased, it's AZW format file. Book came out in sept 2020. I installed calibre and the two extension, but when i try to open the book, it shows me the windows pop-up of unknown file ask me what to use to open "kfx-zip"..?!

I'm stuck here then. I searched a bit, it appears it means deDRM failed? I then found this page but i'm a bit confused on the process.. I tried loading book in 4.23 with deDRM 6.xx but it shows unknown cover, so i guess failed too? Please confirm and tell me what i can try, thanks!
AZW is just the file extension. It sounds like that's KFX format. Detailed help with DRM removal isn't permitted at MobileRead. I recommend using noDRM's DeDRM v10.0.9 plugin, and asking for help at their github repository.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/releases
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:26 AM   #2162
mkbooks
mkbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Generic
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
AZW is just the file extension. It sounds like that's KFX format. Detailed help with DRM removal isn't permitted at MobileRead. I recommend using noDRM's DeDRM v10.0.9 plugin, and asking for help at their github repository.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/releases
It appears i didn't install the plugin correctly? Now, adding book again to calibre and i can see it's cover and details. Does it means anything? It's still seen as kfx-zip and i'm still asked to choose an open to open it. PLease confirm it means deDRM failed? If it succeed, is the book file in calibre folder supposed to be something else than kfx-zip?
mkbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:31 AM   #2163
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It appears i didn't install the plugin correctly? Now, adding book again to calibre and i can see it's cover and details. Does it means anything? It's still seen as kfx-zip and i'm still asked to choose an open to open it. PLease confirm it means deDRM failed? If it succeed, is the book file in calibre folder supposed to be something else than kfx-zip?
If you have the KFX input plugin installed, converting the book will work if the DRM has been removed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:39 AM   #2164
sgmoore
Enthusiast
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
The extension is supposed to be kfx.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291290 and in particular the bit

Quote:
If the resulting format in calibre is KFX-ZIP or AZW instead of KFX then the import was unsuccessful. If this occurs make sure that you have both the KFX Input plugin and the DeDRM plugin installed, that you restarted calibre after installation, and that the main book file was imported from its original location.

The reason for import failure can be obtained from a log file. Click the calibre Preferences drop-down menu and choose "Restart in debug mode". Re-import the book and then close calibre. A log file will appear.
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 02:45 PM   #2165
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Your message shows that the book was downloaded was downloaded as a KFX format (for some reason, Amazon does not seem to like using the correct extension for a file format).

You could try installing the KFX Input plugin and the latest version of DeDRM from here. I'd also recommend updating your copy of calibre to the latest version that will run on your computer's operating system.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:15 PM   #2166
tmangia
tmangia began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just need some information. The last time I've successfully downloaded kindle ebooks and converted to PDF was in August 2023 by using bluestacks software. Does the process still works the same?

Thanks!
tmangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:29 PM   #2167
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmangia View Post
I just need some information. The last time I've successfully downloaded kindle ebooks and converted to PDF was in August 2023 by using bluestacks software. Does the process still works the same?

Thanks!
Yes, it does.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 06:11 AM   #2168
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
K4PC 1.17 still works with DeDRM 1.0.9 but failed to open due to its large size.

I have a large file kfx 90MB azw format, and as I use linux I was unable to even open in Cloud reader perhaps due to its size. This was published in 2020.

I downloaded the kindle ebok file to a PC using kindle-for-pc 2.31 then kindle-for-pc 1.17.

The kindle-for-pc 2.31 which failed to be decryped in Calibre 7.5.1 with 1.0.9 DeDRM. then I tried kindle-for-pc 1.17 but it failed to open in Calibre for PC.

I deauthorised the first kindle-for-PC before installing the earlier version, but it failed to open in Calibre for PC.

I then saved the .k4i file and entire My Kindle Content folder and copied it to the linux laptop.

Calibre for linux 7.4 with DeDRM 1.0.9 decrypted the azw file once the .k4i was enabled for the earlier version of kindle. It failed to open in first 5 minutes in Calibre but I converted it to PDF and that completed quickly.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:33 AM   #2169
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
I have a large file kfx 90MB azw format, and as I use linux I was unable to even open in Cloud reader perhaps due to its size. This was published in 2020.
KFX is not AZW. AZW is Mobi, AZW3 is KF8 and KFX is KFX. The file extention does not always show what the format is. When you download from KindleforPC, you get .azw no matter the format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:51 AM   #2170
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KFX is not AZW. AZW is Mobi, AZW3 is KF8 and KFX is KFX. The file extention does not always show what the format is. When you download from KindleforPC, you get .azw no matter the format.

Thanks that’s very helpful. I was mixing up how the AZW file shows in Calibre as KFX (can’t be decrypted) via K4PC 2.3 and as AZW4 from K4PC 1.7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You can detect KFX because there will be a file with a name beginning with amzn1.drm-voucher.v1 in the same subdirectory.
From the OP #9 this identifies an obok file as KFX

Last edited by Patricia1066; 02-23-2024 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:21 AM   #2171
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Most KFX can be decrypted if you have DeDRM 10.0.9 and the KFX Input plugin. If you got an AZW4 from K4PC 1.17, that is a pdf in an Amazon wrapper. You can use the Kindle Unpack plugin to extract the pdf.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:38 AM   #2172
Patricia1066
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Most KFX can be decrypted if you have DeDRM 10.0.9 and the KFX Input plugin. If you got an AZW4 from K4PC 1.17, that is a pdf in an Amazon wrapper. You can use the Kindle Unpack plugin to extract the pdf.
Mine was one of the exceptions then. I have DeDRM 1.0.9 and KFX Input plugins. It is a ebook with more than 1,000 illustrations and displays well on iPad and as PDF.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:10 AM   #2173
Lief
Enthusiast
Lief began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Updated today (nothing really changed):
It will still download KFX ebook that you can dedrm with calibre plugin 10.0.9 and kfx input plugin.
It will still download azw3 for manga/comics (like I said here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2144 before that date it downloaded KFX files too that where convertible from the command line like I said here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2132 I think amazon disable it because KFX was not ready for them in comics for some reason. Let's keep it in mind for the future).

Good news is that kindle 2.3.1 (KindleForPC-installer-2.3.70682.exe last installer on the website) is still a version where we can remove drm from most of the ebooks.
Lief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:59 PM   #2174
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
Mine was one of the exceptions then. I have DeDRM 1.0.9 and KFX Input plugins. It is a ebook with more than 1,000 illustrations and displays well on iPad and as PDF.
Could be a memory issue with a file that large. If it is giving you non-kfx with the older K4PC, then it is not a book that has the tougher drm. Those are only available in kfx and won't download at all on K4PC 1.17.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:49 PM   #2175
tmangia
tmangia began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've bought 6 kindle books. 2 of them are giving strange characters like this one, while converting to any kind of format (I'm putting them all to PDF):
Quote:
(¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€ (¢€+`ô5üW~Ù¾ø—ðgö²ñ~…ã£y¹§kÒ.§ä!Á={s_ÜëAWå7ü‹þáÛ›G ¼øëðFÂÚÃÇÖù˜à*LŠ¼ä¬q@Á¼Ÿð^½kÁ>-Óf?ÚgŲÍcw"[i…Ü¥‰‘ˆzšþ‹ômcM×ôÈu}"ú+‹yãиe`Fx"¿…¯Ç?Ùâ!Ó|qáÍC I¼ÓîÈ‚ñâhÁu=T×
What's wrong and what should I do?

Thanks!
tmangia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc