Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2023, 01:26 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
This is not meant to be disparaging to fanfic, and I'm not saying fanfic shouldn't exist. I'm well aware lots of people love both to read and write it. It's just a matter of personal taste. There are other genres I'm not interested in and almost never read. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, and for me fanfic falls in the latter category.
<rant>
I've read some fanfic and the main reason that I don't read more is the average person writing fanfic has no idea of what canon is. Yes, place your fiction in the 1632 universe—quite a few of the authors who were paid for their contribution to the Grantville Gazette started writing 1632 fan fiction. But for the love of whatever deities you happen to believe or not believe in, stop adding non-canon items (one fanfic added fighter jets and their support structure). Ditto for many other fanfics I've looked at. If you are going to play in someone else's universe, pay attention to their universe building.
</rant>
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #17
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
This is not meant to be disparaging to fanfic, and I'm not saying fanfic shouldn't exist.\
I'm not taking it as disparaging, so no problem there.

Just that I do see a lot of readers finding that reading fanfic on their smart phones is becoming problamatic as they get older. So more and more are looking at eInk devices that they can sideload and not bother with going through a storefront. They don't want the storefront.

There are a lot of people, with a lot to read in a legit way, to make understanding a device's limitations when it comes to loading a legit question.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:19 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
There are a lot of people, with a lot to read in a legit way, to make understanding a device's limitations when it comes to loading a legit question.
Of course. I also sideload everything, even my legally purchased books (which comprise the majority of my ebook library). I do it because I edit the metadata and formatting of every ebook I own, and I want that metadata + formatting on my ereaders. So I sideload. But I don't mind registering my ereaders, although I never download anything directly from the store.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:37 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not register to enable everything and then just keep WiFi off?

I have a registered PW3 that has the WiFi off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 04:28 PM   #20
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you not noticed over the years that number of people who have posted in this and other forums who do not want their devices connected to anything not under their direct control? While I am not quite that worried about others having access to my devices, I can understand the justifiable worries by others about allowing access. Can you really say that any profit driven corporation, government, stray hacker or any others who might access your device have earned your trust? You may fall on the more trusting end of the spectrum, others might fall on the less trusting end often with good reason.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”―Joseph Heller, Catch-22

I know that I am paranoid, I just don't know if I am paranoid enough.—unofficial motto of anyone who has worked in IT.
Well unfortunately you can't get it started without registering it. If you don't want it to connect to wifi then just turn off wifi on the device after registering then side load your books. I don't know why someone would buy this more expensive Kindle if they didn't want to use the features and the updates. Doesn't make sense but whatever.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 04:46 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Well unfortunately you can't get it started without registering it. If you don't want it to connect to wifi then just turn off wifi on the device after registering then side load your books. I don't know why someone would buy this more expensive Kindle if they didn't want to use the features and the updates. Doesn't make sense but whatever.
Some people just want to read PDFs and ordinary ebooks on a quality large 300dpi screen. Also, since there are no buttons, people that capacitive touch screens love to torture can use the pen to turn pages. You may not agree that is worth the price, and might not understand it, but it is not true that it doesn't make sense.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:44 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Some people just want to read PDFs and ordinary ebooks on a quality large 300dpi screen. Also, since there are no buttons, people that capacitive touch screens love to torture can use the pen to turn pages. You may not agree that is worth the price, and might not understand it, but it is not true that it doesn't make sense.
A large (>8") ereader would be great for my mother who only reads fiction with no need to markup anything. I'm waiting for Kobo to release a 300DPI 10" device with a front light.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote