Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2023, 06:47 PM   #1
brendandebeasi
brendandebeasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Hardware hacks for Kindle Oasis 3

I have an opened Oasis 3 and am able to access the innards. The firmware on my kindle is too new for a soft mod.

Has anybody heard of any hardware hacks being available
For the KO3 specifically? I have seen emmc flashing guides as well as serial flashing, but nothing mentioning the KO3.
brendandebeasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:53 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You are the first to report opening it without damaging it, so no one has reported succesful hardware mods, test points, etc.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:37 PM   #3
brendandebeasi

J.p.s oh no, you are mistaken :P I into this knowing I would break the screen. I was able to find an OEM screen here

It was cheaper to replace the battery + screen than to buy a new kindle.

Most of the circuitry is covered with metal caps. After removing you see the three main chips:

Lion charge manager chip:

Spec

Micro controller

spec

Micron MMC 8g

spec

I guess the main thing would be is it possible to dump / write the MMC (MT29TZZZ8D5JKERL)
Old 10-29-2023, 08:45 PM   #4
brendandebeasi

A couple other shots of the board:
one
two

Last edited by brendandebeasi; 10-29-2023 at 08:47 PM. Reason: fix img
Old 10-29-2023, 09:43 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Nonetheless, it looks like it is on you to report any findings regarding hardware mods, test point locations, etc. unless someone else spots something in your photos.

mobileread user eddie.t.h would know the most about dumping the MMC
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:16 PM   #6
brendandebeasi

I was able to get the logic board off the case. On the underside of the board there are a number of circular pads. Not sure how to interface with these, but am uploading the photos. Maybe they will help somebody else.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:45 AM   #7
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
So much epoxy :-O
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote