Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2023, 07:48 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
No more Comixology app

I think this was at least rumored for awhile now.

I checked the Kindle app and indeed you can Hide/Unhide at least some comics (those available at Comixology) now (but no such feature on Kindle, yet).

read.amazon.com now supports Guided View.

I did not use the Comixology app a lot, but the Kindle app lacks some Library features that Comixology app users may miss.

Quote:
Hello Comics fans,

We’re writing to let you know about upcoming changes to the way that you will access and read your Comixology digital comics, graphic novels, and manga titles. On December 4, 2023, we will be merging the Comixology and Kindle applications on iOS, Android, and Fire OS. Starting today, any books previously purchased on Comixology will automatically be visible in your library on the Kindle app. The upgraded Kindle app experience is available now; however, you may continue reading your books in the Comixology app until December 4, 2023. You can read more about the upcoming changes here.

We’ve been hard at work upgrading the Kindle app to deliver the great digital comics, graphic novels, and manga experience you’re accustomed to in the Comixology app, including:
  • Your library in the Kindle app now groups your issues, volumes, and omnibuses from the same series together.
  • The Kindle app now allows you to hide and unhide specific comics, graphic novels, and manga in your library. Titles you’ve already set to hide via the Comixology app will automatically be hidden in the Kindle app.
  • With your complete library of books now conveniently in one place, you can select ‘Comics & Manga’ from the in-app filter menu to quickly find just your comics, graphic novels, and manga titles.
  • Members of Comixology Unlimited, Kindle Unlimited, or Amazon Prime can borrow comics, graphic novels, and manga titles directly in app. Tap the ‘Home’ button from the bottom nav, select the ‘Explore’ button in the top left directly under the search bar, then select the ‘Comics, Manga, and Graphic Novels’ button listed under the ‘More categories’ label. You may also continue to browse for content on the web via www.amazon.com/comixology.
  • You may also continue to read your Comixology books on the web via read.amazon.com. If you prefer to read on your Kindle E-reader, you can go to Your Content and Devices to send individual titles to download on your e-reader.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-14-2023 at 08:07 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 07:55 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I noticed that the latest Kindle for PC app (version 2.2.0) now downloads comics in KFX format. I wonder if that changes anything about how comics work in that app and if it is related to the elimination of the Comixology app.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:39 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I noticed that the latest Kindle for PC app (version 2.2.0) now downloads comics in KFX format. I wonder if that changes anything about how comics work in that app and if it is related to the elimination of the Comixology app.
IIRC the Windows Comixology app was retired some time ago (you were supposed to use browser instead). But I don't know much about the history of the Windows app.

The last Kindle for Windows I used regularly was the Universal version that ran on Windows Phone/RT/Windows 8 and later, and was only available from Microsoft Store. This no longer shows up in my Microsoft Library on my ancient Windows 10 PC, where it was installed at one time. I guess I would need to download the current version from Amazon to see what it is like, since it is also not listed in Microsoft Store.

I just got a cheap Windows 11 Pro system (I tried VMs but they all stink in one way or another). A fresh install features Kindle app prominently, but what it means is you are led to install Amazon App Store and then the Kindle for Android app from there, which is what I did. It seems to work well. I RDP to it from my Macs (I think I have app for iPad too), and it works great.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-15-2023 at 02:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:12 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I just got a cheap Window 11 Pro system (I tried VMs but they all stink in one way or another). A fresh install features Kindle app prominently, but what it means is you are led to install Amazon App Store and then the Kindle for Android app from there, which is what I did. It seems to work well. I RDP to it from my Macs (I think I have app for iPad too), and it works great.
Yes, I have seen that the Windows 11 app is actually Kindle for Android. I believe that the only reason that the Kindle for PC app still exists and is being updated is that the end of life for Windows 10 is still a long way away.

On MacOS Amazon has already stated that the old Kindle for Mac app, now called Kindle Classic, will no longer be updated and that the new app is basically the iOS app, mirroring the same evolution.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote