Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
A. Bertram Chandler's John Grimes Rim World Series.

I'm gonner start John Grimes Rim World Series but don't know where to start, should I start from the publication date or historical date?.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
here ya go...:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Bert...r#Bibliography

They are a complete kick to read. I first read them a good 40+ yrs ago and loved them. I got the set in ebooks, I think I have them all now from Baen. I intended to read them a couple months ago but life got in the way of everything.

Just always remember this "...grumble you may, but go you must..." Read that as a kid and for some reason it still will flip a switch in me when I am just not wanting to get something done...

Have a BALL reading them...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx for the link breck but, is that the order they should be read? cos other lists differ.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
they were really not written in a serial fashion...but there is a simple think to used you might not be aware of...the published date...I find this will help with the crono order...the Wiki breaks them up into

It sure seems people today have been conditioned to the 200 volume series of books that "must" be read in "order"...The whole John Grimes set can pretty much be read in any order but I would just start with one of the sub-series and read them in the order published. Really don't over think it...they will be fun reads in any order and while there is a bit of background needed in certain places, they each contain enough detail to know what is up.

If you want more hand holding then that, I am not your guy to help...I read stuff as I find it...The collections can be had in proper order from Baen:

http://www.webscription.net//p-723-j...-couriers.aspx
http://www.webscription.net//p-693-j...y-service.aspx
http://www.webscription.net//p-746-j...commodore.aspx

Now I might not have posted those collections in "proper" order, but really don't dwell on it too much...or you can check the dates each collection was begun.

I guess I am saying, there is no definitive reading order...I hope that makes some kinda sense? hehehe...I originally read them haphazardly finding them at book sales, swap meets, thrift shops, etc...plus there are no "cliff-hanger endings designed to sell more books. ???

Yet at the same time some do prefer other orders...toss a coin and go in that direction...

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-02-2009 at 11:33 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
You know, I so read that wrong... I was all excited that there was some sci/fi books about baseball....

er...
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
they were really not written in a serial fashion...but there is a simple think to used you might not be aware of...the published date...I find this will help with the crono order...the Wiki breaks them up into

It sure seems people today have been conditioned to the 200 volume series of books that "must" be read in "order"...The whole John Grimes set can pretty much be read in any order but I would just start with one of the sub-series and read them in the order published. Really don't over think it...they will be fun reads in any order and while there is a bit of background needed in certain places, they each contain enough detail to know what is up.

If you want more hand holding then that, I am not your guy to help...I read stuff as I find it...The collections can be had in proper order from Baen:

http://www.webscription.net//p-723-j...-couriers.aspx
http://www.webscription.net//p-693-j...y-service.aspx
http://www.webscription.net//p-746-j...commodore.aspx

Now I might not have posted those collections in "proper" order, but really don't dwell on it too much...or you can check the dates each collection was begun.

I guess I am saying, there is no definitive reading order...I hope that makes some kinda sense? hehehe...I originally read them haphazardly finding them at book sales, swap meets, thrift shops, etc...plus there are no "cliff-hanger endings designed to sell more books. ???

Yet at the same time some do prefer other orders...toss a coin and go in that direction...
Thanks for the extra info, checking your links the federation survey service bundle looked familiar and checking my account I've already bought them sometime ago , so I'll start with those first.