Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2024, 10:11 AM   #121
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
I have the same problem as @RodasQ, I just cannot get NickelSeries to write the subtitle on the first connection.
I suspect my issue is the column type. I'm using type "Column built from other column", it's the only type where I can get the text to appear in the #subtitle column, but I think NickelSeries needs #subtitle to be a text column.
Can anyone please advise how to create / copy a integer column type to a text column type.
Or am I on the wrong track altogether?

Last edited by npr; 03-15-2024 at 10:14 AM.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:19 AM   #122
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
I have the same problem as @RodasQ, I just cannot get NickelSeries to write the subtitle on the first connection.
I suspect my issue is the column type. I'm using type "Column built from other column", it's the only type where I can get the text to appear in the #subtitle column, but I think NickelSeries needs #subtitle to be a text column.
Can anyone please advise how to create / copy a integer column type to a text column type.
Or am I on the wrong track altogether?
Maybe something similar to my solution here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=64
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2024, 10:38 AM   #123
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm doing, but it refuses to write the subtitle on the first connection. It appears on the second connection but that's from the Kobotouchextended driver not from NickelSeries.
Note: The Series info is being written on the first connect so that's from NickelSeries.
Can you please confirm the column type you are using?
Old 03-15-2024, 10:56 AM   #124
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page Count.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	206898

Name:	Subtitle.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	206899
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:56 AM   #125
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodasQ View Post
Changed, and confirmed that still not works. But works after second

This info is embebed in the opf file

"#subtitle": {
"#extra#": 2.0,
"#value#": "Volume",
"category_sort": "value",
"colnum": 3,
"column": "value",
"datatype": "series",
"display": {
"description": ""
}
Can I see the entire tag? It looks like calibre has changed it. NickelSeries looks for <meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle" ...
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2024, 12:29 PM   #126
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
This is what I see when embedding a subtitle in an ePub using calibre (the subtitle is "Daring Adventures on Elephant Island":

Code:
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle" content="{&quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_9&quot;, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;text&quot;, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: null, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Subtitle&quot;, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#subtitle&quot;], &quot;label&quot;: &quot;subtitle&quot;, &quot;colnum&quot;: 9, &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;description&quot;: &quot;&quot;, &quot;use_decorations&quot;: 0}, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;is_category&quot;: true, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 31, &quot;#value#&quot;: &quot;Daring Adventures on Elephant Island&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {}}" />
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:23 PM   #127
npr
Zealot

Checking the file "metadata.opf" in calibre, most of my books don't have a entry for <meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle ...
Only the most recent book I loaded in calibre and one I've just deleted and reloaded as a test has that entry.
I've tried reloading both books which has that entry but still no subtitle on first connection.

Code:
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle" content="{&quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_18&quot;, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;composite&quot;, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: &quot;,&quot;, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Subtitle&quot;, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#subtitle&quot;], &quot;label&quot;: &quot;subtitle&quot;, &quot;colnum&quot;: 18, &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;composite_template&quot;: &quot;{#reading_hours} hours&quot;, &quot;composite_sort&quot;: &quot;text&quot;, &quot;make_category&quot;: false, &quot;contains_html&quot;: false, &quot;composite_show_in_comments&quot;: false, &quot;description&quot;: &quot;&quot;}, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;is_category&quot;: false, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 25, &quot;#value#&quot;: &quot;7.00 hours&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {&quot;cache_to_list&quot;: &quot;,&quot;, &quot;ui_to_list&quot;: &quot;,&quot;, &quot;list_to_ui&quot;: &quot;, &quot;}}"/>
@Phil_C, thanks agin that's the same as I've been using.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:07 PM   #128
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This is what I see when embedding a subtitle in an ePub using calibre (the subtitle is "Daring Adventures on Elephant Island":
AFAIK there is no standard subtitle declaration on epub2, mobi/prc/azw/KF7 or azw3/KF8?
Is there anything other than Kobo actually displays a subtitle?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 04:23 PM   #129
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Code:
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle" content="{&quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_9&quot;, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;text&quot;, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: null, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Subtitle&quot;, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#subtitle&quot;], &quot;label&quot;: &quot;subtitle&quot;, &quot;colnum&quot;: 9, &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;description&quot;: &quot;&quot;, &quot;use_decorations&quot;: 0}, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;is_category&quot;: true, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 31, &quot;#value#&quot;: &quot;Daring Adventures on Elephant Island&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {}}" />
Yes, that's what I expected, and it's what NickelSeries supports.

Quote:
Checking the file "metadata.opf" in calibre, most of my books don't have a entry for <meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle ...
Only the most recent book I loaded in calibre and one I've just deleted and reloaded as a test has that entry.
I've tried reloading both books which has that entry but still no subtitle on first connection.

Code:
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle" content="{&quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_18&quot;, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;composite&quot;, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: &quot;,&quot;, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Subtitle&quot;, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#subtitle&quot;], &quot;label&quot;: &quot;subtitle&quot;, &quot;colnum&quot;: 18, &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;composite_template&quot;: &quot;{#reading_hours} hours&quot;, &quot;composite_sort&quot;: &quot;text&quot;, &quot;make_category&quot;: false, &quot;contains_html&quot;: false, &quot;composite_show_in_comments&quot;: false, &quot;description&quot;: &quot;&quot;}, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;is_category&quot;: false, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 25, &quot;#value#&quot;: &quot;7.00 hours&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {&quot;cache_to_list&quot;: &quot;,&quot;, &quot;ui_to_list&quot;: &quot;,&quot;, &quot;list_to_ui&quot;: &quot;, &quot;}}"/>
@Phil_C, thanks agin that's the same as I've been using.
That should work...

https://github.com/pgaskin/kobo-mods...a.cc#L150-L162

https://github.com/pgaskin/kobo-mods...s.cc#L112-L126

If you want to confirm that NickelSeries sees it, look at the syslog (with logread).

Unless Kobo is overriding the subtitle afterwards, which it didn't IIRC.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 04:48 PM   #130
npr
Zealot

Yes it's working if I force calibre to update the "metadata.opf" file for each book.
Anyone know a bulk way to update that file?
Old 03-15-2024, 05:13 PM   #131
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes it's working if I force calibre to update the "metadata.opf" file for each book.
Anyone know a bulk way to update that file?
The metadata.opf in each book folder is maintained by calibre and the subtitle should be added there when editing metadata. AFAIR, the only time those files are used is when metadata.db in the root of the library folder is rebuilt.

Again, AFAIR, calibre updates the .opf file internal to the ePub to match calibre's current metadata during the send to device operation. I know you can disable this for a Save to disk operation but I can't remember ever seeing that capability to disable that update for a send to device operation.

You could use the Polish tool to update the metadata in the book files. See attached image for the setting to do only that. The Polish tool icon is the one that looks like a whisk broom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polish_tool.png
Views:	48
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	206907  

Last edited by DNSB; 03-15-2024 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added comment on Polish tool
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, ldpreload, nickel, series, seriesmeta