Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #556
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
It is that you are advocating the deletion, removal, burning-if-you-will of the modernized version rather than allowing it to live in tandem with the original wording that already exists, and simply selecting the original wording to read.

It isn't enough for you that the author's text is preserved, but all other derivatives must be extinguished. That is, if not censorship, against the spirit of public domain.
Did you miss the part where the new version is being presented as an accurate rendition of the original text? That is, without disclosure that changes have been made TO THE TEXT?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #557
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Did you miss the part where the new version is being presented as an accurate rendition of the original text? That is, without disclosure that changes have been made TO THE TEXT?
Except that this is no longer true. The text has been edited, and there is a notice in the original thread saying so. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232462

Shari
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #558
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Might I advise you that stating a series of events in order of occurrence is not the same thing as offering a logical conclusion?

You're the one you might want to do some brushing up.
Might I (still) suggest that I said no such thing?

You seem to have come to the (il)logical conclusion that I accused you of wanting the original text. I did not do any such thing. I accused you of wanting to:
censor ebooks that don't have the original text, even if there is a warning to that effect.

Regardless, the book has been changed back, so you got your way.

Happy now?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #559
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #560
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I think i am going to post a completely bowdlerized version of a book and will never change it just to hear a certain person whine about it.

It reminds me that MR library is the only place in the world where books still exist. Everything else was wiped out in that nuclear Armageddon. Libraries, all paper books, Amazon, Library of Congress, yard sales books, chalkboards, papyrus, everything. This is the ONLY place in the galaxy where us humans can find what those XXI century people were doing while looking at letters put together in a piece of paper or e-paper. The horror!
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #561
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
I think i am going to post a completely bowdlerized version of a book and will never change it just to hear a certain person whine about it.

It reminds me that MR library is the only place in the world where books still exist. Everything else was wiped out in that nuclear Armageddon. Libraries, all paper books, Amazon, Library of Congress, yard sales books, chalkboards, papyrus, everything. This is the ONLY place in the galaxy where us humans can find what those XXI century people were doing while looking at letters put together in a piece of paper or e-paper. The horror!
Eagerly awaiting further news.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #562
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew View Post
Suggesting that Alex's changes were bowderlization is a pretty big stretch. Do I agree with his edit? No. Do I respect it? Yes. Do I think it counts as bowderlization? Only about as much as:

He meant to say, "Pass the salt." But instead he said "You've ruined my life you bloodsucking shrew"

counts as a Freudian slip.
Personally, I don't agree with nor respect the changes Alex made. Now if Alex had originally posted in the books thread that the changes were made, would I have been bothered? No. I would not. Because I would have known. Not knowing when someone makes those sort of changes is not only wrong (IMHO), it's insulting to think that Alex doesn't give us enough credit to understand the words as written.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #563
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
It is that you are advocating the deletion, removal, burning-if-you-will of the modernized version rather than allowing it to live in tandem with the original wording that already exists, and simply selecting the original wording to read.

It isn't enough for you that the author's text is preserved, but all other derivatives must be extinguished. That is, if not censorship, against the spirit of public domain.
You have it all wrong there. It's not censorship to want to undo the unauthorized changes done to the book. Censorship is changing the word gay to light-hearted. Think we won't understand the way gay was used and thus changing it is a form of censorship. Now adding in a footnote/endnote to say that gay means light-hearted in case anyone had trouble with the meaning is OK. It's not editing the book in a way that censors the book.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #564
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Except that this is no longer true. The text has been edited, and there is a notice in the original thread saying so. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232462

Shari
Yeah, now. But from the time it was posted to recently, it went without such a disclaimer. If it wasn't for this thread, there still would not be a disclaimer.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #565
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

As long as you post a notice about your changes in the thread about that book, feel free to change every single word.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #566
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Post the notice here, but not in the upload thread.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #567
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As long as you post a notice about your changes in the thread about that book, feel free to change every single word.
I promise i won't do it. (the notice).
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #568
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I promise i won't do it. (the notice).
Well, if you were to knowingly post an altered and get caught, you'd get in big trouble. It's not worth the risk.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #569
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Well, if you were to knowingly post an altered and get caught, you'd get in big trouble. It's not worth the risk.
WHO's going to get her in trouble?

What risk?

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-22-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #570
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia

Quote:
No I won't. Don't be silly. I have that monopoly here.
Closed Thread