Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #526
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't use the MR library, as I've stated, because it is indeed a waste of time to read material that is suspect.
Please. Personally, I'd never have read, for example, Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks (now one of my favourite novels) if it weren't for the MR library-upload by brucewelch (unfortunately Mann's works had to be taken down because of life+70).
Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #527
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Going back a little bit to what this thread has shown me, I've had a look at some of the MR versions of PG-origin Zane Grey books (yes, there are still people who read them), and I've noticed that the tilde is universally missing from mañana and cañon - and there may be other Spanish words also missing the ñ.

It's an easy correction to make and I'm quite happy to do it myself, but I don't want to offend the original uploader - crich70 - by muscling in and posting my own versions with such small changes.

What's the best way to go about this? Is it to send the revised files to crich70 so he can replace his original version?

Of course, at the same time I'll naturally want to change sentences like ' "Kate, you let Duane make love to Jennie?" queried Bland, incredulously.' to the (surely much more acceptable) ' "Kate, you let Duane talk sweet nothings to Jennie?" queried Bland, incredulously.', so as not to mislead modern youth about what has been going on. I'm sure if Zane Grey had been living in the 21st century it's exactly what he'd have written.
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #528
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Going back a little bit to what this thread has shown me, I've had a look at some of the MR versions of PG-origin Zane Grey books (yes, there are still people who read them), and I've noticed that the tilde is universally missing from mañana and cañon - and there may be other Spanish words also missing the ñ.

It's an easy correction to make and I'm quite happy to do it myself, but I don't want to offend the original uploader - crich70 - by muscling in and posting my own versions with such small changes.

What's the best way to go about this? Is it to send the revised files to crich70 so he can replace his original version?

Of course, at the same time I'll naturally want to change sentences like ' "Kate, you let Duane make love to Jennie?" queried Bland, incredulously.' to the (surely much more acceptable) ' "Kate, you let Duane talk sweet nothings to Jennie?" queried Bland, incredulously.', so as not to mislead modern youth about what has been going on. I'm sure if Zane Grey had been living in the 21st century it's exactly what he'd have written.
Thank you! We must protect our children.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #529
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Posts against MR guidelines, and posts commenting on those posts have been removed.

Thanks to those who reported the original offending post rather than commenting on it.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #530
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

WARNING OF THREAD CLOSURE

A large number of posts have now been deleted, due to members who continue to violate our posting guidelines by calling each other names.

Please follow these posting guidelines below, or leave this thread.

Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. Refer to the MobileRead Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required. Name calling ("troll") and insults ("obtuse") are not allowed.
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #531
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew View Post
So, your objection isn't really about having the information about any changes readily available? And it doesn't seem be about whether other versions you deem more correct are available. Your only satisfactory remedy would be to have this particular version overwritten with a version you approve of or removed from the library entirely?
The problem extends beyond ONE BOOK.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #532
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
Bloody hell! Where did this cat lady came from? This thread looks like the kindergarten version of Twilight Zone. Get a book!
Well, I'm not the one acting like a kindergartener. The moderators say they've been deleting posts because of insults. None of my posts have been deleted; I'm not the one throwing sand in the sandbox.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #533
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Wow, how exciting things have been early this morning.

@Araucaria, if we have learned nothing else from this thread, at least we should put a notice to the effect that that has been done.

PM the corrections to crich70, or just post it to the thread. Either way, I am sure he will get it and be happy to use your fixes.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-22-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #534
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew View Post
Quote:
--No.--
So, your objection isn't really about having the information about any changes readily available? And it doesn't seem be about whether other versions you deem more correct are available. Your only satisfactory remedy would be to have this particular version overwritten with a version you approve of or removed from the library entirely?
The problem extends beyond ONE BOOK.
Seems to me the problem has now been solved -- for that book.

That would be the book that began this whole tedious argument, and I don't remember seeing any references to any other infringing-on-Catlady's-ideals books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Quote:
--No.--
Then what would solve it?

There is now a warning that it has been bowdlerized, so the only further step would be to have the moderators delete the thread for violating the guidelines that don't exist for offenses that only offend a small subset of the membership. Seems rather draconian.

What MobileRead content will fall under the censors next?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #535
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
@Araucaria, if we have learned nothing else from this thread, at least we should put a notice to the effect that that has been done. PM the corrections to crich70, or just post it to the thread. Either way, I am sure he will get it and be happy to use your fixes.
Especially the one with the "talking sweet nothings" instead of "making love" - utterly brilliant and so much more poetic than the original. I'm sure not only Zane Grey can be improved that way. Why not make that our mission and start the Mobileread Editions Library Of Radically Improved Books?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #536
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Especially the one with the "talking sweet nothings" instead of "making love" - utterly brilliant and so much more poetic than the original. I'm sure not only Zane Grey can be improved that way. Why not make that our mission and start the Mobileread Editions Library Of Radically Improved Books?
I must admit, that particular language has me scared more than the original.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #537
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Well, I'm not the one acting like a kindergartener. The moderators say they've been deleting posts because of insults. None of my posts have been deleted; I'm not the one throwing sand in the sandbox.
I am afraid we haven't deserved anything better for posting in this thread at all. Thanks, mods, for your great sensitivity.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #538
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There is now a warning that it has been bowdlerized, so the only further step would be to have the moderators delete the thread for violating the guidelines that don't exist for offenses that only offend a small subset of the membership. Seems rather draconian.

What MobileRead content will fall under the censors next?
I think I'm in Alice's Looking-Glass World now.

Where else would I be accused of advocating censorship for objecting to bowdlerization?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #539
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I think I'm in Alice's Looking-Glass World now.

Where else would I be accused of advocating censorship for objecting to bowdlerization?
If your response to bowdlerization is censorship "To Preserve The One True Word", then yes.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #540
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If your response to bowdlerization is censorship "To Preserve The One True Word", then yes.
My response to bowdlerization is to want a return to the original text.
Closed Thread