Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
maste1970
maste1970 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Calibre companion very slow in importing books

Hello,
im importing my library in calibre with calibre companion in a Android tablet. The library is about 8000 books and the importing takes one minute per book, so it's going to take ages...I did this:
"You must set CC's option Settings / File names / Use CC template everywhere if you want to use a CC template to create sub-directories. We recommend that you also set the option Replace existing book files".
But almost nothing changed. Pleas help as I'm not a technology geek nd I really don't know what to do.
Thank you very much to everybody in advance for you help.
best regards from Italy.
maste1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maste1970 View Post
Hello,
im importing my library in calibre with calibre companion in a Android tablet. The library is about 8000 books and the importing takes one minute per book, so it's going to take ages...I did this:
"You must set CC's option Settings / File names / Use CC template everywhere if you want to use a CC template to create sub-directories. We recommend that you also set the option Replace existing book files".
But almost nothing changed. Pleas help as I'm not a technology geek nd I really don't know what to do.
Thank you very much to everybody in advance for you help.
best regards from Italy.
Se l'importazione deve andare alla memoria interna, non utilizzare un modello: ciò aumenta il carico di lavoro del dispositivo.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
maste1970
maste1970 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Se l'importazione deve andare alla memoria interna, non utilizzare un modello: ciò aumenta il carico di lavoro del dispositivo.
Ciao!graziemille per la gentile risposta...ma quindi in pratica cosa devo fare?scusami ma non sono molto bravo con l'informatica!
Grazie ancora e buona giornata!
maste1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maste1970 View Post
Ciao!graziemille per la gentile risposta...ma quindi in pratica cosa devo fare?scusami ma non sono molto bravo con l'informatica!
Grazie ancora e buona giornata!
Dove si trovano i libri di Calibre Companion?
Nel dispositivo? O su una scheda SD?
Disinstallerei completamente Calibre Companion, quindi lo riavvierei e lo reinstallerei.
Un nuovo trasferimento completo di circa 13.000 libri mi ha richiesto circa 3 ore.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
Primus_Pilus
Supervillain Consultant
Primus_Pilus began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX 10.3, Kobo Aura ONE, Aura H2O
How to make imports faster

I run a 15,000 book library across all my devices and finally had to break down and read the CC documentation. There is an articule out there with a specific filename setup that actually appears to have a bug in it.

This filename path will setup the android filesystem and CC for faster search indexing and installation of files.

{first_author:%.1s}/{first_author}/{first_author}-{title}

%1.1s <--- in the guide is actually incorrect

Will generate this
<default location path>/R/Ringo/Ringo-When The Devil Dances.epub

Quote:
Basic syntax
The columns allowed are:
{title}, {title_sort} (title is the real title. No articles are moved)
{authors}, {first_author}, {author_sort}, {first_author_sort}
{series}, {series_index}
{id} (the calibre database identifier, which is a number)
text-type custom columns {#col_lookup_name}
(CC version 4.3.4 and later) custom series columns. A custom series lookup name such as #series returns the custom series name without the index, and the lookup name with _index appended (e.g., #series_index) returns the custom series index as a number.

A format specifier is a string beginning with a % character and ending with a format type character. Examples:
%d -- format as an integer
%04d -- format as an integer four digits long and zero-filled
%06.2f -- format as a floating point number 6 characters wide, zero-filled, with 3 digits to the left of the decimal point and 2 digits to the right of the decimal point.
%.10s -- format as a string to be at most 10 characters long.
There's more including data on IF/THEN else statements in making the files but this seems to make them fast enough

If I wanted to make a file path library that other android book readers could leverage then I might consider this one

{#myshelves:%.1s}/{#myshelves}/{series}-{series_index}-{first_author}-{title}

Based on the Calibre documentation if there is no series created in your Calibre database then the above string will return a filename like this

{#myshelves:%.1s}/{#myshelves}/{first_author}-{title}

As apparently Calibre / CC removes leading empty fields and dashes.

Tinker with it and you should find something you can make work.

A quick field in Calibre to make a series Yes/No can be constructed easily

Calibre toolbar
Preferences | Add your own columns
+ (add new column)
Lookup Name: series_question
Column Heading: Series?
Column Type: Column built from other columns
Show checkmarks (check this box)
TEMPLATE: program: if field('series') then 'yes' else 'no' fi

Create that and then CC can use #series_question for if/then logic building filenames and constructing your path and filename setup.

The complicated way ...
Example
CC Filename option
:if: {#series_question} :then: {#myshelves:%.1s}/{#myshelves}/{series}-{series_index}-{first_author}-{title} :else: {#myshelves:%.1s}/{#myshelves}/{first_author}-{title}

Last edited by Primus_Pilus; 01-16-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Primus_Pilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre compani, slow