Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #661
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Plato 0.9.16

I've released 0.9.16.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #662
bigdaddy1
bigdaddy1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi I love using Plato. Is there a way to make the sleeping and geometric shape page instead display the cover of the book I was reading before it went to sleep? Or a way to turn off this page and be blank?
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #663
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
(there's a bug question after my long & wordy intro paragraph)

I tried Plato using the one click combo installer (Nickel Menu, KOReader, Plato),and it looks like a really nice alternative to the build-in reader -- VERY fast (I thought KOReader felt faster than the built in reader, but this was even faster!!), and very nice UI layout. While I don't think it'll be my first choice because I use a LOT of the features in KOReader, I think it'll be interesting to play with and maybe eventually recommend to users who want something fast, pretty, and easy to use, while having more functionality than the built-in reader, without being overwhelmed with every feature in the world!

Anyhow, one thing stops me from recommending it, and that is that all of my books in the main "Digital Editiions" library (all DRM free, side loaded or downloaded via Calibre OPDS in KOReader) will not open in Plato, they all show up as PNG files, even though they have either epub or kepub extensions and are readable in KOReader. They open, but it only shows the cover image and then says "no next page" if I try to move beyond that. The only book that I can read is one (the only one) in the CalibreWireless folder that I think was created by KORader.

EDIT: One other difference, is the books in the "Digital Editions" folder show up as filename, no metadata, and the one in the CalibreWireless folder shows up with metadata.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-01-2021 at 12:33 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #664
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Anyhow, one thing stops me from recommending it, and that is that all of my books in the main "Digital Editiions" library (all DRM free, side loaded or downloaded via Calibre OPDS in KOReader) will not open in Plato, they all show up as PNG files, even though they have either epub or kepub extensions and are readable in KOReader. They open, but it only shows the cover image and then says "no next page" if I try to move beyond that. The only book that I can read is one (the only one) in the CalibreWireless folder that I think was created by KORader.
I suspect that you are seeing the cover images and not the ebook files. The Digital Editions library on my Kobo contains two directories, Annotations and Thumbnails along with manifest.xml. Since my ebooks transferred from calibre are in a directory called eLibrary, the Thumbnails directory contains a directory with the same name and inside that directory, a collections of directories by author name with thumbnails of the book covers for any book I've opened using RMSDK. If I ever copy a book to my Kobo using ADE, the book would appear in the root of the Digital Editions directory and it would have it's thumbnail in a Digital Editions directory inside the Thumbnails directory.

By no stretch of my imagination, could I call it my main library.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-01-2021 at 12:58 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #665
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All of my books in the main "Digital Editions" library will not open in Plato, they all show up as PNG files
Could you describe the directory structure in Digital Editions?

The ePUB files can't show up as PNG files: the PNG files must be present somewhere on your device.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #666
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, thank you. Your question helped me realize what my problem was. The folder that it was looking at was a folder that appears to have been created by either Kobo or KOReader that does have all of the cover images in it. I used the file explorer in KOReader and saw that there was a folder under the home folder called "Digital Editions". Since it's under the main folder and Plato is reading the filesystem recursively, it's seeing those cover images as well as the book files -- I didn't notice that the book files were just many pages back in the cover view. Is there any way to have it not read recursively and only show one folder?
Old 04-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #667
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Is there any way to have it not read recursively and only show one folder?
A simple way of solving this problem is to remove the image file extensions from the allowed-kinds list in the [import] section of Settings.toml.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #668
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
A simple way of solving this problem is to remove the image file extensions from the allowed-kinds list in the [import] section of Settings.toml.
Thanks, I'll do that and then play with it some more!
Old 04-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #669
twowheels
Wizard

So, I did that, removed all image types from the list (using the KOReader text editor), and then started Plato, but they still show up. I then went back and confirmed that they were indeed gone from the config file. I tried a database flush, and the other option right next to flush (import?), but no change. I then explored the filesystem looking for a file (I found a log that seemed to indicate that the file info was stored in a file called .metadata.json because it kept logging an error saying that there was no such file on the sd (my reader doesn't have external storage), but couldn't find any such file.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #670
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
I tried a database flush, and the other option right next to flush (import?), but no change. I then explored the filesystem looking for a file (I found a log that seemed to indicate that the file info was stored in a file called .metadata.json because it kept logging an error saying that there was no such file on the sd (my reader doesn't have external storage), but couldn't find any such file.
The change made to Settings.toml will only affect further imports, it won't remove already imported files.

If you want to restart the whole process, you'll need to remove the corresponding database (probably /mnt/onboard/.metadata.json).
Old 04-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #671
twowheels
Wizard

I looked there, but couldn't find it, but maybe that was the KOReader file browser (I had hidden files and unsupported files turned on). I'll try ssh and then if that doesn't work, I'll remove my Qi receiver and plug it into my computer (such a pain to do! haha).

EDIT: That worked! Thanks! I found it when I used SSH to connect.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-01-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #672
baskerville
Evangelist

Plato 0.9.17

I've released 0.9.17.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #673
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
Is there a way to make the sleeping and geometric shape page instead display the cover of the book I was reading before it went to sleep?
As of 0.9.17, in the [intermissions] section:
Code:
suspend = "cover:"
Old 05-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #674
mikronex
mikronex began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
hey,

where can I find "Features" -> "Adjust the contrast" ?

Thanks!
mikronex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 AM   #675
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo H2O (broken), Kobo H2O Edition 2 v1 (stolen), Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
I've released 0.9.17.
Thank you a lot for implementing the copy/rename feature I suggested! Such a reactive support is one of the main strength of Plato
Mavireck is offline   Reply With Quote