Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #31
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Enough postings to justify what?
Quote:
You keep repeating this over and over as a mantra.
There is something hard and combative about your posts. Why do you need to make your posts an emotional attack?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #32
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
There is something hard and combative about your posts. Why do you need to make your posts an emotional attack?
Otherwise the problems from a tiny minority appear to be facts that apply to everybody if often enough repeated.

Go to a hospital and look at all the sick people. OMG, how can anybody be healthy at all.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You keep repeating this over and over as a mantra. And yet, the recommendation are in essence advertisements. It is a big sign that says: "Here, we have these for sale, they might interest you since you bought and looked at similiar items." If you fail to understand recommendations from a store that wants to sell things as advertisements, then I don't know which world you live in.
My gripe is: They show me 'recommended' things that were alternates for something I just bought. I bought a Window Air conditioner (after browsing many offerings). Now I see ads for similar units. I buy a Blu Ray Movie, They try and sell me the DVD version.
OTOH their book recommendations, seem a bit closer to the target on my reading choices.

Costco lacks smarts in advertising. $1500 in savings banner on their mailed ad. 6 TV's, 3 Exercise bikes... Who buys an assortment of the same product? You standardize on 1 or 2 sizes if you are outfitting a property.

Bottom line, is these folk are wasting eyeball time. They have seconds to grab attention. Make it count. I tend to tune out same-o same-o, and click on something else.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As I said, grab you when you walk out the door. ...
My apologies, I missed this part of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... You know, the folks who grab you as you walk out the door with your ten-finger discount. ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My gripe is: They show me 'recommended' things that were alternates for something I just bought. I bought a Window Air conditioner (after browsing many offerings). Now I see ads for similar units. I buy a Blu Ray Movie, They try and sell me the DVD version.
OTOH their book recommendations, seem a bit closer to the target on my reading choices.
The last 2 book recommendations from Amazon weren't bad except the first entry was the book I had just bought. Perhaps I'm supposed to be tempted into adding a dead tree version? Admittedly, both had the other books in the same series but still. You just bought The Flowers of Vashnoi so we would like to recommend The Flowers of Vashnoi followed by several other Vorkosigan universe books.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #36
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have gotten to where I totally ignore the recommended ads. Most are no where close to what I am interested in, including books anyway.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #37
hopla
hopla began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They will either show up in personal documents or books, depending on the format.
Hi there, could you please give me more details on the rules and formats that decide on whether the book will show up in documents or books category? I have found out that I should convert to mobi format having the [PDOC] tag replaced by the [EBOK] tag. But is doesnt seem to help my case. I also use Oasis 2, but cannot organize my books properly because of this. Thank you for your help!

Victor
hopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #38
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flody1 View Post
Hi all. I'm a newbie, bought my wife a Amazon Kindle Oasis2 ( should get it soon). We joined Books Unlimited@ Amazon. She reads all the time, Nora Roberts fan/Christine Feehan / J D Robb/ETC. My question is do I need to jailbreak this device to get more free books? Thanks
There is free and open source software here called "calibre" that works superbly for library management. It allows you to organize your books and load them onto your Kindle. Check it out. If you find books through sources other than Amazon, it can also help convert them to an appropriate format. Really is a one stop shop. It isn't perfect but it is the best there is.

After you install and see how life changing it is, don't forget to make a donation according to your means and say a small prayer for the developer's health every time the software loads hahaha

Jailbreaking is a hassle. There is a forum here on MobileRead dedicated to the art of hacking Kindles, but I recommend just disabling automatic updates (incase Amazon ever tries to disable calibre compatibility) and leaving it at that.

Did you know that if you have already updated your device you likely already screwed yourself for the jailbreak? I think FW version needs to be less than 5.9.2 but don't listen to me, go read about it and see if you are still interested. I know I would just bother the devs with stupid questions and while KUAL interests me by potentially allowing me to better organize my device I simply use Calibre Companion as a catalog when searching for new reads. Otherwise there isn't much out there besides maybe custom screen savers. It is best to avoid jail breaking unless you are are willing to brick your new toy and want to learn more about the inner-workings of a Kindle first hand. Climbing the mountain just for the sake of the challenge, so to speak.

Kindle Developer Corner
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=150

Kindle Jailbreak Thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292337

Good luck and hope you enjoy your Kindle as much as I have!

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 11-17-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote