Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
gakiluvela
gakiluvela began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE PW3
KINDLE PW3 5.8.11 Jailbreak/Downgrade

Hey guys, just bought a kindle and it has this firmware: 5.8.11.

It's a PW3. Is there any method to jailbreak it/ downgrade it?
gakiluvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
02xda2
moddedmad
02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Check Jailbreak Thread and specifically pages 206 and 207
02xda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakiluvela View Post

Not at this time.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakiluvela View Post

Your only option at this point is via serial port. This requires opening the unit and connecting the proper serial hardware to tiny, delicate connections on the system board. If you are up to delicate operations that could damage your PW3 if not done correctly, look up the thread on serial jailbreaking for recent kindles.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:01 AM   #5
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Sadly I don't remember the exact firmware version I had but it was listed on the not supported ones on the wiki. I tried my luck and downgraded to 5.7.4. Took a while. Had to manually reboot after a while but it worked fine. I've then been able to JB with no trouble.

On the wiki it's written "I've downgraded my PW3 from 5.8.11 to 5.7.4 without any problem."...
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never confirmed, plus reports of the device being bricked == still not considered possible.
YMMV
Anybody, even a non-member of either the forum or the wiki can put things in the wiki.

I suggest that you pull up the history of the page where you read that, see who (if a person and not an anonymous ip) and get that confirmed.
Unless of course you want to start paying for the replacement of devices bricked on your advice.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
Dinamo
Dinamo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
"I've downgraded my PW3 from 5.8.11 to 5.7.4 without any problem''
I can confirm since that's what I attempted (successfully so) just yesterday, and now my two-days-old PW3 (5.8.11) device is downgraded to 5.7.4 and jailbroken. I can't guarantee that it'll always work, but it did for me, so give it a try at least.

Now my main issue is that despite everything I can't seem to run any apps or extensions for KUAL. KUAL isn't recognizing them or perhaps I am installing them wrongly (either I copy them to the root or the /extensions/ folder) or maybe there aren't any apps compatible with PW3 as of yet? I would appreciate some guidance here and if possible make some use of my jailbroken device.

Thanks in advance.
Dinamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Let me see now -
This is what? The third year that the PW3 has been for sale?
Hmm... four months shy of 3 years. ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=262358 (06-30-15)

I would suspect user error before suspecting there isn't anything ready for the PW3.
The best place to start, is to read the release (first post) of the release thread for each thing you are trying to use.
That includes opening any spoilers present and read that content also.
Then read any README (or similar) titled file include with the add-in, in its release archive.

If KUAL only displays a blank screen - there is a thread here for that problem.

Last edited by knc1; 02-21-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Unless of course you want to start paying for the replacement of devices bricked on your advice.
I didn't say that it will necessarily work. Just that it worked for me (I have been able to downgrade my PW3 right after an OTA upgrade - BUT maybe I was lucky and ended up with 5.8.9.0.1 rather than a "problematic" firmware) and that it seems like other people had success downgrading a device while it was not supposed to work on their firmware versions.

Everybody has to do his/her own research before attempting to do a JB, and to be conscious of the risk, of course. There are reports of bricked devices, and you are right to insist on that but it seems like some people have had no trouble downgrading their devices running firmware versions not supposed to be downgradable...

Last edited by datanoise; 02-21-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
datanoise
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinamo View Post
Now my main issue is that despite everything I can't seem to run any apps or extensions for KUAL. KUAL isn't recognizing them or perhaps I am installing them wrongly (either I copy them to the root or the /extensions/ folder) or maybe there aren't any apps compatible with PW3 as of yet?
I had no trouble running the stuff I found here on my PW3. You have to install the Booklet version of KUAL. Maybe that's the problem?

See "Important notice for KOA/KT3 owners" on KUAL's thread. Good luck.

Last edited by datanoise; 02-21-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Dinamo
Dinamo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I had no trouble running the stuff I found here on my PW3. You have to install the Booklet version of KUAL. Maybe that's the problem?

See "Important notice for KOA/KT3 owners" on KUAL's thread. Good luck.
Doing God's deed here. I applied your suggestion and and all it took was the Kindlet version to work. By the way, which hacks/extensions do you have installed? It seems I can run everything but the Screensaver one. Though installed and configured in KUAL it doesn't actually work; whenever I hit the screensaving button it hesitates for a bit, then jumps back into the page/interface.

Thank you and everybody on this forum helping people out. May y'all live long and merry lives
Dinamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
datanoise
Groupie

Strange! Maybe try to uninstall it, as well as python (using the uninstall .bin) and installing again both the screensaver hack and python, using NiLuJe's snapshots.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #13
datanoise
Groupie

A report that might be useful for some people looking to downgrade/jailbreak their paperwhite running 5.8.11: while some people might be lucky, I just bricked a device on 5.8.11 (3243010037) trying to downgrade to 5.7.4 factory. I don't know if I'd have had more success trying the 5.8.9.0.1 image: as I had success in the past with 5.7.4 I decided to stick to this one for this test. It's a shame that I don't remember which (unsupported, > 5.8.7) firmware I had on the other unit I downgraded with no trouble...

My conclusion would be: if you're not ready to have to unbrick your device using the serial port, don't try to downgrade even if it might have worked for some people on the same firmware version.

Last edited by datanoise; 02-27-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #14
glasnost
Connoisseur
glasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW3, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
... I just bricked a device on 5.8.11 (3243010037) trying to downgrade to 5.7.4 factory. I don't know if I'd have had more success trying the 5.8.9.0.1 image:... .
would you mind pming me the location of the 5.8.9.0.1 image? my google-fu has failed.

Thank you!
glasnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasnost View Post
would you mind pming me the location of the 5.8.9.0.1 image? my google-fu has failed.

Thank you!
Use the full, actual filename, not the link name.
There are hundreds of copies out there.