Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #31
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Here are the (poor) results of the Kobo Reader dealing with Hebrew ePub:

The TOC doesn't display at all (just squares).
In reading mode, the text is displayed from left to right and therefore is not readable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	62815

Name:	Kobo_toc.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	62816
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #32
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
There is another Android reader you may like to analyse, called CoolReader. I'll try to supply some screenshots (Android makes it ridiculously inconvenient).

*EDIT* No such luck. Everything in the book are question marks.

Last edited by Logseman; 12-15-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #33
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
There is another Android reader you may like to analyse, called CoolReader. I'll try to supply some screenshots (Android makes it ridiculously inconvenient).

*EDIT* No such luck. Everything in the book are question marks.
Thanks for testing

Although the ePub contains embedded Hebrew font, it might be that this reader doesn't handle embedded fonts and I guess your Android device doesn't have Hebrew fonts.

I'll try to locate a device to test it.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #34
m2b999
m2b999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I tested my Kindle 3 for Arabic ePub format books, but none of them work. Some suggested that a manual of embedding process needed to be involved for RTL languages such as Hebrew and Arabic. Yet, I haven't found anything in a working status except PDF format; which tend to miss some pages.
m2b999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #35
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2b999 View Post
I tested my Kindle 3 for Arabic ePub format books, but none of them work. Some suggested that a manual of embedding process needed to be involved for RTL languages such as Hebrew and Arabic. Yet, I haven't found anything in a working status except PDF format; which tend to miss some pages.
Kindle doesn't support RTL languages. I tested a Hebrew Mobi file but the text displayed LTR and it was not readable.
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #36
carmelra
Zealot

Finally Aldiko supports Hebrew properly!

I tested today Aldiko 1.2.13 (even not the new ver 2.0 which I hope will not ruin anything) on LG-P500h running Android 2.2.

It's currently the best reader for Android devices!

It reads the text properly with and without punctuation signs.
Links are working properly (and therefor footnotes are working as well).
Alignments, etc are all fine.

Different font sizes are displayed properly but I noticed that italic style was not.
Sometimes, there are "special" characters that are not being displayed properly (instead there are Chinese chars, or other undefined signs)

Well done to the Aldiko team

Bookshelf looks great:

Name:	BookShelf.png
Views:	596
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	63662

TOC displayed properly

Name:	TOC.png
Views:	634
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	63663

Title looks good.

Name:	title.png
Views:	570
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	63664

Main text area is great!

Name:	RegularText.png
Views:	596
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	63665

Punctuation signs looks fine. There is some shift of the signs. I suspect it's related to the current Android fonts used.

Name:	Punctuated.png
Views:	524
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	63666

A regular text with a footnote. It's working!

Name:	TextWithFootnote.png
Views:	525
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	63667

A sample of special character that displayed as Chinese...

Name:	FontsProb1.png
Views:	565
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	63668

Another sample of other special character that is not displayed properly.

Name:	FontsProb2.png
Views:	523
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	63669
Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #37
carmelra
Zealot

Samsung Galaxy Tab supports Hebrew beautifully.

Screen captures will be provided later during the week.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #38
akapulko2020
akapulko2020 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,iPod Touch
I've recently tried reading PDF in Hebrew on my russified PRS-300 and it seems to be working fine!
akapulko2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #39
alessandra
alessandra began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hebrew reading on the Samsung Galaxy tablet?

I tested the Samsung Galaxy tablet at the store and it wasn't able to read electronic books in Hebrew. I tried this with PDFs from Hebrewbooks.org.
Has anybody been successful reading Hebrew e-books on the Galaxy and from what sources? Thanks!!!
alessandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #40
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandra View Post
I tested the Samsung Galaxy tablet at the store and it wasn't able to read electronic books in Hebrew. I tried this with PDFs from Hebrewbooks.org.
Has anybody been successful reading Hebrew e-books on the Galaxy and from what sources? Thanks!!!
The Samsung Galaxy Tab supports reading Hebrew ePub.

The device I tested has a pre installed "iBooks like" application that read Hebrew ePub perfectly. I got the device from an Israeli mobile company (Cellcom) that distribute it in Israel. It might be that this application was tailored for the Israeli market.

However, I also tested Aldiko on this device and it worked great!
I'll try to get the screen captures shortly.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #41
carmelra
Zealot

I just saw a new eReader in the Israeli market. PAGEone by Next Papyrus. It is a Korean eReader, possibly with a firmware update for the Israeli market.

It supports Hebrew ePub perfectly!

I hope to post screen captures soon.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #42
m2b999

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
I just saw a new eReader in the Israeli market. PAGEone by Next Papyrus. It is a Korean eReader, possibly with a firmware update for the Israeli market.

It supports Hebrew ePub perfectly!

I hope to post screen captures soon.
So do you think this would support Arabic ePub as well?

Do you know if anyone tried it before?

Thanks for the news anyway.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #43
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
So do you think this would support Arabic ePub as well?

Do you know if anyone tried it before?

Thanks for the news anyway.
I don't know for sure but my past experience shows that any device that supports Hebrew supports Arabic as well (You know, both are similar languages with similar characteristic that face similar hurdles with these reading systems )
Anyway, it's something that need to be tested and confirmed.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #44
m2b999

Is it available here in the U.S.?

Can you give me the link to the website that you've purchased from, please?

Thanks again and good luck.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 AM   #45
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Is it available here in the U.S.?

Can you give me the link to the website that you've purchased from, please?

Thanks again and good luck.

I don't know if it's available in the US. I didn't purchase it as well... Just saw it.

Anyway, here is the link to what seems to be the device's website

and here is the link to the store in Israel that sell these devices.