Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #27391
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I didn't like it either. I gave it only two stars at Goodreads when I read it last year. It's hard to remember at this distance, but I think I liked the setting but found the mystery and its denouement pretty pedestrian.
I gave it 3 but that's a bit generous. That's my problem with it too and the bland characters.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #27392
poohbear_nc
Witness Protection FAIL!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
I've been reading some Graham Greene lately -- not sure why -- The End of the Affair and Orient Express (aka Stamboul Train) -- his books seem to be about unpleasant people doing unpleasant things to each other unpleasantly -- not really enjoyable, but compelling reads ... if only to find out how badly the characters will behave.

To lighten things up, I turned to Arthur Machen's The Terror -- good melodramatic supernatural fun.

And I'm still trying to plow through Henry James' The Awkward Age -- which I'm finding very hard to stay with -- the endless frivilous 'smart' dialogue is very tedious to my ear.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2018, 01:00 AM   #27393
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, original Papwerwhite, Fire HD 8
Never been able to stomach Henry James myself. Life's too short to spend it reading stuff I don't enjoy.

Speaking of which, I'm currently still reading the latest Maise Dobbs, as an audio book. Quite enjoying it, of course. On the eBook side, I'm returning to A Red Herring Without Mustard, the third of the Flavia deLuce mysteries from Alan Bradley. I got sidetracked about half way into it, but now I want to finish it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #27394
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've been reading some Graham Greene lately -- not sure why -- The End of the Affair and Orient Express (aka Stamboul Train) -- his books seem to be about unpleasant people doing unpleasant things to each other unpleasantly -- not really enjoyable, but compelling reads ... if only to find out how badly the characters will behave.

To lighten things up, I turned to Arthur Machen's The Terror -- good melodramatic supernatural fun.

And I'm still trying to plow through Henry James' The Awkward Age -- which I'm finding very hard to stay with -- the endless frivilous 'smart' dialogue is very tedious to my ear.
I've done a few Graham Greene's this year as well - Our Man in Havana and also The End of the Affair.

Right now I am in the midst of the book club read - The Great Halifax Explosion. I am also listening to Kate Atkinson's Life after Life.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #27395
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post

I need something fun now, so I'm gonna go with Monster Hunter Legion by Larry Correia. It should hopefully get me out of my reading slump I'm on lately.
Oh yeah, this will work for sure.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #27396
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I just finished The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, which I really enjoyed. I was glad I recently read Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chan, because it gave me a good understanding about the times the mothers from The Joy Luck Club lived in China and their motivation to leave and move to the US. And it also gave me a good understanding about their (probable) upbringing, which explains why they behave the way they do and are so different from their daughters.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #27397
poohbear_nc
Witness Protection FAIL!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Quote:
Right now I am in the midst of the book club read - The Great Halifax Explosion. I am also listening to Kate Atkinson's Life after Life.
Life After Life is one of the finest books I have ever read -- magical, unique, one-of-a-kind. Enjoy!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #27398
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Finished The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.

This starts out as the usual YA fantasy; group of people journeying for some (ig)noble cause. But the clues throughout lead one to think there is a twist at the end. And there is. While the story line may seem simple the beauty is in the writing. It's clear the author has a good command of language. Concise with no wasted words. Descriptive but not overdone. I look forward to the next one. Rated B [4 stars].

Next will be Lightning by Den Koontz. Library book.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #27399
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Finished The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.

This starts out as the usual YA fantasy; group of people journeying for some (ig)noble cause. But the clues throughout lead one to think there is a twist at the end. And there is. While the story line may seem simple the beauty is in the writing. It's clear the author has a good command of language. Concise with no wasted words. Descriptive but not overdone. I look forward to the next one. Rated B [4 stars].

Next will be Lightning by Den Koontz. Library book.
Yes, I have quite enjoyed this series. I'm through the 4th so far, with two more to go.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #27400
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am also listening to Kate Atkinson's Life after Life.
Quote:
Life After Life is one of the finest books I have ever read -- magical, unique, one-of-a-kind. Enjoy!
Ditto. A solid 5 star read for me.

I've just started How To Stop Time by Matt Haig. It's about a few "fortunate" individuals who age at about a 15th of the normal aging process, living for hundreds of years. A kind of time travel story with a new slant.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #27401
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am really, really enjoying it. I felt like, in particular, the brutal domestic violence was handled very deftly.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #27402
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Speaking of which, I'm currently still reading the latest Maise Dobbs, as an audio book. Quite enjoying it, of course.
Finished To Die But Once, the 14th and most recent Maisie Dobbs book from Jacqueline Winspear. A solid 4 stars, and a worthy book in the series. This book takes us to the start of WWII and the evacuation of the BEF from Dunkirk, which plays a major role for several of the subsidiary characters.

Next up on the Audible side is Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner, the 5th book in the Queen's Thief series.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #27403
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Life After Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am really, really enjoying it. I felt like, in particular, the brutal domestic violence was handled very deftly.
I abandoned the book in disgust at that point. Maybe I should give it another try.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #27404
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Life After Life

I abandoned the book in disgust at that point. Maybe I should give it another try.
It was worth it, IMO. I really liked the way the book and the characters evolved. I wouldn't call the ending "satisfying" but it did feel very fitting.

As to the domestic violence, I do legal work with DV victims on occasion, and as ugly and brutal as it was - it was very realistic.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #27405
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished Cherry Bomb by J. A. Konrath. This is the sixth "Jack" Daniels book, and a great stopping point for the series. With that said, I do have the next two in line, so I may just as well pick them up in the near future.

Meanwhile, I have read the month's New Leaf book already, and I have a new Richard Roberts, so I am gong to reread the "Don't Tell My Parents..." series from the start just for fun.
Dngrsone is online now   Reply With Quote