Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2018, 01:06 AM   #27361
ekbell
Addict
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm reading The Great Halifax Explosion by John U. Bacon, August's choice for the New Leaf Book Club. How have I never heard of this event before? It is a remarkable retelling of a boat crammed with various explosive materials which blew up in Halifax harbour in 1917. To say it was a catastrophic event is to play it down, like saying a tornado is just a strong breeze. Painstakingly researched and well told, I am riveted.

Here's a tiny but memorable video about the Halifax Explosion https://www.historicacanada.ca/content/heritage-minutes/halifax-explosion.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #27362
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Possibly. But I think he was actually going for "lower" to rhyme with glower:
Perhaps, but I don’t really get that sense from the text, either:

Quote:
The battleship Aristotle in the next bay lowered over them: seventy thousand tons empty, with a crew of two thousand and missile magazines sufficient for a day-long engagement. The eight-inch plasma cannon of the Aristotle’s defensive battery could not only divert incoming projectiles but also devour ships the corvette’s size in rainbow cascades of stripped nuclei.

Daniel was as oblivious of the battleship as he was of the wisps of cirrus cloud in the high heavens.
“Oblivious” doesn’t really go with being ominously lowered over. In context, that reads to me like “his ship was dwarfed by the huge battleship in the next bay, but he didn’t even notice it.” Size and capability, yes, but no perceived threat. To the contrary, the mood is bright and optimistic.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2018, 03:55 AM   #27363
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Games Wizards Play by Diane Duane. The 10th novel in her Young Wizards series.
I was expecting a filler book from the title, but I was wrong. A very good addition to the series.

Next I started The Angry Tide, the next book in the Poldark series that is currently being broadcast in the UK. It may take me a time to finish, as I'm watching the TV episode, and then catching up in the book.

I'm also reading I Captured the Castle by Dodie Smith (yes, the author of 101 Dalmatians. Which I now read as Five Dalmations. I'm doing too much bit-twiddling!) Very different to my usual genres, but rather fun.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #27364
Pulpmeister
Fanatic
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Apropos "lower"

I just fell over this in an E Phillip Oppenheim novel "The Lion and the Lamb:

With an expression as black and lowering as the clouds from which the fine rain was tumbling....

which is typical usage.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #27365
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura 2
Finished up Shroud of Eternity by Terry Goodkind. Just his usual crap. Not sure why I still read it. Out of habit I guess. lol Need to read better fantasy books.

Now reading The Dry by Jane Harper which is a mystery novel.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #27366
HaemishM
Author
HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.HaemishM writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Motorola Xoom
I'm finally getting around to reading the Robert E. Howard Conan stories. Thanks to the movies and comics from the '70's, I've always been familiar with the basic Conan story archetype, I've just never actually read the original source. They are so much better written than I expected.
HaemishM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #27367
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next, a library book, City of Endless Night by Preston & Child.
A quick fun read but not their best. Perhaps, the authors were rushed to hit a deadline. A great beginning turned into a so-so cat-and-mouse chase at the end. Writing was still good and plot original, although, I felt some deterioration after 17 books in the series. Rated C- [2 stars].

Next TBD
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #27368
orlok
Somewhat stalled
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemishM View Post
I'm finally getting around to reading the Robert E. Howard Conan stories. Thanks to the movies and comics from the '70's, I've always been familiar with the basic Conan story archetype, I've just never actually read the original source. They are so much better written than I expected.
I haven't read them for many, many years, but I was a big fan at the time and I hope you enjoy the series.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:09 AM   #27369
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn. Nice story, not as engaging as some in the genre.

Next, The Great Halifax Explosion by John U. Bacon for the New Leaf Book club (I want to be in on the discussion on time, heh).
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #27370
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm also reading I Captured the Castle by Dodie Smith (yes, the author of 101 Dalmatians. Which I now read as Five Dalmations. I'm doing too much bit-twiddling!) Very different to my usual genres, but rather fun.
Which was excellent. A most enjoyable setting and characters.

I've started two new books. One I read many years ago, and I'm re-reading: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott. The adventures of a young vet in 1930s Yorkshire.

I'm also reading Interim Errantry by Diane Duane, which contains three shorts set between books nine and ten of her Young Wizards series. Two I've read before, but one is new to be.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #27371
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Love those Harriott stories...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:06 AM   #27372
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Yes, I loved the series on TV, and found the stories charming and funny, mostly. There were some things that a more modern viewpoint might find a bit of a problem, but given the context of the time were not out of line.

Finished reading the 10th RCN/Lt. Leary book from David Drake (mostly listened to it), and for a change of pace, I'm reading the latest Maise Dobbs that was just released. Also reading The Secrets of Station X by Michael Smith. A book nominated for the New Leaf Book Club, and it sounded interesting.

Last edited by CRussel; 08-06-2018 at 11:15 AM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #27373
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I finished Dante's Numbers by David Hewson today. It's the seventh book in the Nic Costa series. I didn't like it as much as I did the last couple of book in the series. I found the second half slow going.

Now I've started Stephen King's Salem's Lot (or rather 'Salem's Lot). It might be a reread, but I'm not sure.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #27374
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I'm also reading Interim Errantry by Diane Duane, which contains three shorts set between books nine and ten of her Young Wizards series. Two I've read before, but one is new to me.
And excellent it was too.

Still (re-)reading All Creatures Great and Small.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #27375
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new Kindle Oasis (2017)
Just finished up Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy. It was a long but very entertaining 3,000+ pages.

Now on to Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson since I just picked it up on sale.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote