Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #1
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Amazon Look-ups Failing

I seem to be in a state where Amazon lookups (always?) fail. For technical books this is a preferred source for metadata so its a bit of an issue. Started on one of my machines that I use infrequently. Now I am noticing it on the machine I use daily. Log is:

Quote:
****************************** Amazon.com (1, 2, 2) ******************************
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 1.57800006866
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12) AppleWebKit/602.1.50 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Safari/602.1.50
Server: auto
Making google query: https://www.google.com/search?q=Adva...www.amazon.com
Plugin Amazon.com failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify. py", line 48, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 1350, in identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 1282, in search_search_engine
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\search_en gines.py", line 230, in google_search
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\search_en gines.py", line 65, in query
File "site-packages\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 239, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 310, in _mech_open
httperror_seek_wrapper: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable
Don't think its anti-virus as I have switched between 3 vendors (that time of year again) and the problem persists.

???
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
I seem to be in a state where Amazon lookups (always?) fail. For technical books this is a preferred source for metadata so its a bit of an issue. Started on one of my machines that I use infrequently. Now I am noticing it on the machine I use daily. Log is:

Don't think its anti-virus as I have switched between 3 vendors (that time of year again) and the problem persists.

???
What calibre version, if not 3.29 then update.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can also change the server used for lookups in case google is blocking your IP for too many lookups. Preferences->metadata download->customize the amazon source and change the server from auto to amazon or bing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I almost always use the latest version, in this case 3.29
Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
johnelle
Zealot

Ok the reconfiguration fixed it. Just curious. Can you also fix it by grabbing a different IP from your service provider?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Depends on how sophisticated the blocking algorithm is. It could block by access patterns + ip or ip blocks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #7
johnelle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Depends on how sophisticated the blocking algorithm is. It could block by access patterns + ip or ip blocks.
I realized after posting this that I usually have a VPN running with a generic endpoint. Hmmm.