Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any way to install Nook ereader for non-US?

Nook ereader app does not appear in my iTunes (Thailand). Though I change country to US and see it, I can't install it because it says something like I'm not in US (perhaps it checks from my registered credit card).

Is there any workaround? I just want to read ePub with offline dictionary support (don't like iBooks).

Thanks
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Nook ereader app does not appear in my iTunes (Thailand). Though I change country to US and see it, I can't install it because it says something like I'm not in US (perhaps it checks from my registered credit card).

Is there any workaround? I just want to read ePub with offline dictionary support (don't like iBooks).
You can create a new account in the US iTunes store, set it to no billing method (so no problem with credit card address checks), then sign in as that account on the iPad to download free apps from the US store.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Philippe Lemay
Apple Hater
Philippe Lemay began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPod Touch
The he**? The Nook app only works in the US?
Philippe Lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Lemay View Post
The he**? The Nook app only works in the US?
I can use it in Germany without any problems.
But I have to use VPN to purchase books, that's exclusively for the US.
You can browse the B&N bookstore on nook though and add titles to your wishlist.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Philippe Lemay
Apple Hater
Philippe Lemay began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPod Touch
Yes, I noticed that I can browse their book-store, but the app itself, the one that reads the eBooks, that's the one that I can't download (I'm Canadian).
Philippe Lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Create a new account in the US app store, with a different email address. Choose payment method none. You can then switch to this account, download the free US apps, then switch back to your normal account. You can have apps installed from different account at the same time on your iPad, you only need to switch accounts to apply updates.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:52 AM   #7
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
you only need to switch accounts to apply updates.
Which is far more of a pain than it sounds. And can also introduce instabilities - with occasionally corrupt half installations. The Nook app is actually a great example because the update never completes for me and I typically have to uninstall and reinstall.
melvynadam is offline   Reply With Quote