Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #331
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if this page still applies but it does mention cover issues with Nooks. See Setting a cover image on an epub ebook for more information.
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #332
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In order to fit 3,000 eBooks in 1GB (is it 1024x1024 or is it 1,000,000)? you would need an average of 349.5 bytes for all the eBooks and if 1GB = 1,000,000 then the average would be 333.33 bytes. Not gonna happen in either case.
Sadly, where I come from, 1GB is 1024x1024x1024 for a total of 1,073,741,824 (1GiB). If I'm a storage manufacturer, 1GB is 1000x1000x1000 for a total of 1,000,000,000 which translates to .931GiB or 953MiB. Even using 1000^3, I get an average book size of 325.5KiB which is not all that unreasonable when the cover image is on the small side.

Someday, I'll get used to using IEC mandated KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB, etc. to differentiate 1024 vs 1000.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #333
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
They will if they're smart!
I hope they do put these on sale for Black Friday.

Quote:
I will say, all this talk of the Glowlight 3 coupled with my disappointment in sideloading does have me looking at the Glowlight Plus. I'll likely buy a 3 as a gift. But I'm considering a new device for myself.
Apparently Big Deals is selling refurbished Pluses for $55 on Wal-Mart's site (was $50). Reviewers are saying they're in mint/new condition.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...V510/140477199

If I were going to get one of these I would pick up a Fintie SlimShell case (probably Navy) for $11.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fintie-Sl...Navy/717421718

But I decided the night light settings and page buttons were worth waiting for. So I'll wait for Nook GlowLight 3 sale.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #334
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Got a reply from B&N Customer Service:

"We are sorry to inform you that your photos can't be used as screen saver image on your NOOK GlowLight 3."

Thought so. Was that the case with the Plus also?

My device only has two options for screensavers; neither one is appealing. The choices do not match what is stated in the user guide, which I suspect was copy-pasted over from the Plus's user guide.

Oh well. Maybe they'll add some options with system upgrades. These new devices usually get a few updates before they settle in.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #335
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
"We are sorry to inform you that your photos can't be used as screen saver image on your NOOK GlowLight 3."
The Plus didn't have the option. The Simple Touch did.
I have just sent a couple of suggestions for software updates. This was one of them.

(I also want them to put the icon for Current Book back in the status bar, instead of the Profile icon.)

You can use this email. Don't say I sent you! :-)
Executive Office Customer Relations <ExecutiveOfficeCustomerRelations@book.com>
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #336
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

My device only has two options for screensavers; neither one is appealing. The choices do not match what is stated in the user guide, which I suspect was copy-pasted over from the Plus's user guide.

Oh well. Maybe they'll add some options with system upgrades. These new devices usually get a few updates before they settle in.
B&N has made a number of decisions over the years that have been annoying. Some large, some small. What was the point of not allowing users to set their own screen savers? (BTW, I think that went away with the original Glowlight.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #337
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
B&N has made a number of decisions over the years that have been annoying. Some large, some small. What was the point of not allowing users to set their own screen savers? (BTW, I think that went away with the original Glowlight.)
Seeing that the user manual does not match the device, i wonder if they ARE making decisions. I'm starting to think things just fall through the cracks. Small staff? Tight deadlines? Other priorities? You know....
Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #338
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

One last thought on the new NOOK: B&N is giving free samples of newspapers and magazines with this device, not books. Clearly they have hopes for making money delivering periodicals to NOOK users. (But does anybody want to read a magazine on a six-inch eink screen?)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #339
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One last thought on the new NOOK: B&N is giving free samples of newspapers and magazines with this device, not books. Clearly they have hopes for making money delivering periodicals to NOOK users. (But does anybody want to read a magazine on a six-inch eink screen?)
I remember Sony tried this nearly ten years ago with their "Daily Edition." But I think you're right. I think this is why B&N wants so much of the RAM reserved for B&N content. Unless they know something I don't, the magazine/newspaper angle seems like a dead-end (again).
Old 11-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #340
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nine covers have showed up on the website. One (red) available online now and the rest over the next few weeks. They're 19.95 and look pretty much like the 24.95 ones for the NGP.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #341
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Goodereader has their (surprisingly positive) review of the Glowlight 3 up.

ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #342
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Goodereader has their (surprisingly positive) review of the Glowlight 3 up.
And nothing about PDFs? They seem genuinely surprised that they actually liked the GlowLight 3.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #343
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Nathan of the eBookReader blog has his comparison video now comparing the Nook Glowlight 3 with the Paperwhite 3. He seemed to like a lot about it as well, although I think he prefers the Paperwhite. I suspect I would too.

I do have a comment about these review videos. One feature that's important to me gets all but ignored by the reviewers and that's the margin size in settings. I like wide margins when I read because I think I read faster and easier that way without struggling to get back to the start of the next line. It just ssems more graceful to me. I realize I'm in the minority with this.

The problem is that I never see the margins in these video reviews. Everything is done with the narrow margins. I'd like to see all three margins compared.

This is a feature that's never reviewed or compared in any videos by any reviewer and I think it's worth taking a look at.

Another thing I'd like to see is a real size comparison, with the two units being compared showed side by side with both devices entirely shown at the same angle and with their bottoms on the same level so we can get a good idea not just which is bigger but by how much. It seems no-one gets this right most of the time either.

The more I see of the Glowlight 3 the more I like it, if it wasn't for the greyed out dictionaries and table of contents. Those are very hard for me to use on the Glowlight Plus and I use the dictionary a lot and the table of contents more than a little bit. I'm pretty sure I'd be eager to get the Nook except for that. I may decide to get one anyway.

Barry

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #344
disconnected
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I like wide margins when I read because I think I read faster and easier that way without struggling to get back to the start of the next line.
I'm with you there. Wearing glasses with progressive lenses has limited the width of what I can read easily (and I can't just flop all over the place when I read now; every move requires an adjustment of ereader position).

My husband has eye issues too. He can't wear progressives and the reading area on his bifocals is really small. He's very happy reading on his phone but anything larger requires a lot of movement of head and/or ereader. I gave him my PW1 when I got my first Aura but he never uses it.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #345
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

The problem is that I never see the margins in these video reviews. Everything is done with the narrow margins. I'd like to see all three margins compared.

This is a feature that's never reviewed or compared in any videos by any reviewer and I think it's worth taking a look at.
I can't guarantee that the GlowLight 3 is the same as the NST, but the narrowest margins seems about the same so I'm guessing it should be close. If they are the same, the middle margin setting is set in about 3/4" on both sides and the widest margin is set in almost 1-1/4" on each side.