Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #16
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
In case anyone else runs into this issue without serial access, this indeed does work. I did it on a Voyage.

Better instructions:
Need a computer running linux. VMWare/Virtualbox didn't pass through the kindle interface correctly.

I used a 16.04 live USB image, downloaded and compiled (make linux) https://github.com/TobiasWooldridge/Fastboot-Kindle, then used ./fastboot setvar bootmode main and ./fastboot reboot.

Nice find denydias.

Last edited by Branch Delay; 07-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #17
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
In case anyone else runs into this issue without serial access, this indeed does work. I did it on a Voyage.

Better instructions:
Need a computer running linux. VMWare/Virtualbox didn't pass through the kindle interface correctly.

I used a 16.04 live USB image, downloaded and compiled (make linux) https://github.com/TobiasWooldridge/Fastboot-Kindle, then used ./fastboot setvar bootmode main and ./fastboot reboot.

Nice find denydias.
Does this provide a possible JB approach? Assuming the unit can be made to enter fastboot mode, could we not simply set it to boot to diags and then reboot it? Once in diags it should be simple enough to insert the certificates.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Does this provide a possible JB approach? Assuming the unit can be made to enter fastboot mode, could we not simply set it to boot to diags and then reboot it? Once in diags it should be simple enough to insert the certificates.

Dave
I **think** that the system will only enter fastboot mode in the way described if it is hung up in a way that the start-up code can detect.

**think**

It is certainly worth some research time.
Getting the device into 'diags' would be the key.
I am fairly certain 'diags' does not have 'downgrade protection'.
It wouldn't be of much use if it did have such protection, a normally malfunctioning firmware could not then be replaced.

The question of how to create a 'hang' situation from outside of a non-jailbroken Kindle is a question that has been posed before but no answer posted.

Note:
Since that time, it has been noted that the versions of libc the Kindles are using is vulnerable to a stack over-run by overly large DNS reply packets.
That **might** be a way to trash the system enough that it will 'hang' and enable fastboot the next time it restarts.

**might**
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
negativeone
negativeone began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
I tried both the linux fastboot packages on 16.04 ubuntu and I can't seem to run the applications. perplexingly it is giving me a shell error.

yes, I extracted it, yes i'm in the right directory in terminal
Quote:
god@rootbox:~/Documents/fb2$ ls -l
total 132
-rwxrwxrwx 1 god god 128721 Jun 16 2012 Fastboot GUI
drwxrwxrwx 3 god god 4096 Jun 16 2012 lib
god@rootbox:~/Documents/fb2$ ./Fastboot\ GUI
bash: ./Fastboot GUI: No such file or directory
negativeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeone View Post
I tried both the linux fastboot packages on 16.04 ubuntu and I can't seem to run the applications. perplexingly it is giving me a shell error.

yes, I extracted it, yes i'm in the right directory in terminal
That sure looks like you are trying to run it on the Kindle.

And save yourself some grief - take the space out of the filename.
After all, this in *nix not Windoze.

Also - what sort of 'gui' did you expect it to run, once you find the file?

Last edited by knc1; 07-29-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #21
negativeone
negativeone began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
I actually finally got the fastboot tool working, at least the commandline one..

My advice to anyone running into a similar problem is to use the "ldd" command.

Apparently, when dynamically linked dependencies are missing, Linux will report that error message. I had to pull down some additional dependencies with apt-get other than libmono. YMMV on this, so just use ldd.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to **use** the fastboot tool yet. I get "awaiting device" for any command I enter. I wonder if I need a fastboot driver for Ubuntu?

On windows, if I hold the power button for ~20sec, it blinks the screen and the LED twice, and windows beeps like it detects a device for about 10 seconds, then beeps again to indicate a device was unplugged. I assume that during this window, I should be able to do something. However, no dice.

Is there a way to check if Ubuntu is detecting a usb device (and details on it), or is there a fastboot driver I can download?
negativeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

dmesg

This is a site about Kindles, not about "How to use my PC".
There are many sites on the 'net to explain to you the basics of operating *nix/Linux - use them.

Last edited by knc1; 07-31-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
dmesg

This is a site about Kindles, not about "How to use my PC".
There are many sites on the 'net to explain to you the basics of operating *nix/Linux - use them.
Hi, this thing is driving me crazy. I'm having the same problem as dmesg and I can't find anything online. Could you please tell me exactly what should I do? I'm stuck in awaiting device forever and my kindle is "bricked" like this since June.
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote