Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Can a missing cover be manually added?

Now that I have upgrade to 5.8.11 I no longer can use my "ExtractCoverThumbs" utility to replace missing covers for my own books which I have emailed to my Kindle. Is there a manual process that one can go through to add a cover that they Kindle will recognize and use in the Grid view of my books?
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Now that I have upgrade to 5.8.11 I no longer can use my "ExtractCoverThumbs" utility to replace missing covers for my own books which I have emailed to my Kindle. Is there a manual process that one can go through to add a cover that they Kindle will recognize and use in the Grid view of my books?
Yes. Manually add a cover into Calibre. Then resize it so it's large. I generally have a size (when displayed on the cover on the edit screen) of 1200x1800. When the cover is that size re convert the file (it can go from the same format to the same format again). That re convert fixes the large cover to the metadata. Then send the new ebook to your kindle. Please note, I think this only works with mobi files, not AZW.

The cover should now appear. Then go into Manage Your Contents and Devices/Docs, and delete the first file you sent, so you only have one in the Amazon Cloud
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Yes. Manually add a cover into Calibre. Then resize it so it's large. I generally have a size (when displayed on the cover on the edit screen) of 1200x1800. When the cover is that size re convert the file (it can go from the same format to the same format again). That re convert fixes the large cover to the metadata. Then send the new ebook to your kindle. Please note, I think this only works with mobi files, not AZW.

The cover should now appear. Then go into Manage Your Contents and Devices/Docs, and delete the first file you sent, so you only have one in the Amazon Cloud
I already sending from Calibre with a resized cover. The only way to get them to display consistently is to load via USB but then you can't use wispersync which is pretty handy.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I already sending from Calibre with a resized cover. The only way to get them to display consistently is to load via USB but then you can't use wispersync which is pretty handy.
My covers are fine on the kindle, I send mobi files via Send to Kindle. I never have one turn up without a cover.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
radamo
Addict

Quote:
My covers are fine on the kindle, I send mobi files via Send to Kindle. I never have one turn up without a cover.
Can I ask you a few questions?
1. Are you talking about covers for screensaver? Or the cover thumbnail in the Grid view of the books on the Kindle?
2. When you say "send to Kindle" are you transferring via a USB cable or email?
3. What firmware are you running and did you jailbreak your Kindle?
4. Are you using the "dual" mobi setting in Calibre?

Thanks...
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can I ask you a few questions?
1. Are you talking about covers for screensaver? Or the cover thumbnail in the Grid view of the books on the Kindle?
2. When you say "send to Kindle" are you transferring via a USB cable or email?
3. What firmware are you running and did you jailbreak your Kindle?
4. Are you using the "dual" mobi setting in Calibre?

Thanks...
1. Thumbnail in the grid view of books on the kindle.
2. Send to Kindle program downloaded to my pc. It's a direct link to my Amazon Cloud and sends the book. Equivalent is email. Not USB as I rely on whispersync.
3. My Firmware is up current 5.8.11, and kindle is not jailbroken.
4. No dual mobi setting, just mobi.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
radamo
Addict

Quote:
1. Thumbnail in the grid view of books on the kindle.
2. Send to Kindle program downloaded to my pc. It's a direct link to my Amazon Cloud and sends the book. Equivalent is email. Not USB as I rely on whispersync.
3. My Firmware is up current 5.8.11, and kindle is not jailbroken.
4. No dual mobi setting, just mobi.
Thanks for trying... I installed "Send to Kindle" followed your steps and while it is very easy to use I still do not have a cover the book I sent over.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for trying... I installed "Send to Kindle" followed your steps and while it is very easy to use I still do not have a cover the book I sent over.
Did you check the cover was large enough to show? In Calibre using edit the cover must be approx 1200 x 1800. If you resize the cover then you must reconvert the ebook to attach the new cover to the ebook. Then remove the original file in Calibre. Only then send the converted book it to your kindle.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
radamo
Addict

Quote:
Did you check the cover was large enough to show? In Calibre using edit the cover must be approx 1200 x 1800. If you resize the cover then you must reconvert the ebook to attach the new cover to the ebook. Then remove the original file in Calibre. Only then send the converted book it to your kindle.
I did have a large cover attached (I use a plugin to resize covers to the exact dimensions of the Voyage). Then sent the converted book. Your instructions state to reconvert the ebook to attach the new cover. Then remove the original file? (Do you mean the epub that was used to create the mobi?). Then send the mobi to the Kindle?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I did have a large cover attached (I use a plugin to resize covers to the exact dimensions of the Voyage). Then sent the converted book. Your instructions state to reconvert the ebook to attach the new cover. Then remove the original file? (Do you mean the epub that was used to create the mobi?). Then send the mobi to the Kindle?
No, the only reason to delete the original file in Calibre is if you already have a mobi and you reconvert it to a new mobi Calibre stores both the old and new mobi in the source folder. I remove the original mobi so that when I right click the mobi to send it to my kindle, using Send to Kindle, I right click the correct mobi file. That's purely the reasoning behind my instruction.