Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Following up on Kovid's post (#5) take a look at this long thread. The link is to the post where discussion of a solution starts. That solution is to run Windows Disk Cleaner as admin, clean Windows Updates, then reboot. The reboot can take a long time.
This does sound awfully like that problem, I agree, and Windows Disk Cleaner definitely fixed it for everyone involved, me included. The problem doesn't seem to occur on Windows 10.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:55 AM   #17
yogi62
yogi62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
DaltonST / BetterRed

I have mentioned in previous posts that I have cleaned the system down a number of times so I am satisfied that it is not the computer/hard drives.

I have now done two further tests

One - removed ALL the books from the library but changed nothing else - start time 4 secs

Two a fresh install - empty library - start time 4 secs

Looking like it is something in the library? I'll now start to add a limited number of books and check start up as batches of books are added.

At least it is going in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for the support
yogi62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #18
BaronKrause
BaronKrause began at the beginning.

Device: Android
It's not the library if you tested this on another system already with the same library and it didn't experience the delay.

Since you ruled out drive failure focus on things that make this system different from the system you tested it on. Disabled or not I still think there's a chance it's your AV. It's such a simple thing to test to remove and reinstall it.
BaronKrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:33 AM   #19
yogi62
yogi62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
BaronKrause,

It is not the AV. I have already tested by removaing from the system and re-booting.

In my last post I explained that I installed Calibre with no Library - 4 sec start up. I then removed all the books from the current library by deleting then within windows explorer (having made a backup of the library first) - start time 4 sec just like an empty library.

This is why it appear to be something in the library content?

The next test will be to progressively add books and test the start up after each batch.

I know there are a considerable number of books in the existing library that are duplicates, where the title/author are reversed or the author first /surname are reversed, So I guess I need to see if I can sort these out via filters and see if that makes any difference.
yogi62 is offline   Reply With Quote