Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
gurr888
gurr888 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can't open Calibre in Mac Snow Leopard

I'm trying to convert my book to the Kindle .mobi format. I've downloaded Calibre for Mac Intel OS 6 from two sites and while it downloads fine, when I try to open it the application starts to launch and then stops. It disappears from the dock and no matter what I do it won't open. I've copied it onto my desktop and my Applications folder and tried launching from there but no luck. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
gurr888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurr888 View Post
I'm trying to convert my book to the Kindle .mobi format. I've downloaded Calibre for Mac Intel OS 6 from two sites and while it downloads fine, when I try to open it the application starts to launch and then stops. It disappears from the dock and no matter what I do it won't open. I've copied it onto my desktop and my Applications folder and tried launching from there but no luck. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
OS 6?

Is that waaaay older than OS X?
From the download page:
Quote:
If you are using OS X Tiger or a PowerPC Mac, the last version of calibre that will work on your machine is 0.7.28, available here [External link] .
I don't think there is a version for before OS X
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
gurr888

Can't open Calibre with Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard (OS 6) is Mac's latest software. I'm using an Intel MacBook Pro so this isn't an issue about an older version of Calibre. In fact, I tried that version too just to see if it was the problem, but it didn't work either. Calibre 0.8.25 is the latest for Mac OS X (meaning 10.6.8 which I have) but I can't open it in either version.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Snow Leopard (OS 6) is Mac's latest software. I'm using an Intel MacBook Pro so this isn't an issue about an older version of Calibre. In fact, I tried that version too just to see if it was the problem, but it didn't work either. Calibre 0.8.25 is the latest for Mac OS X (meaning 10.6.8 which I have) but I can't open it in either version.
TNX
You can tell I am not a Mac person
I will leave this in the hands of the Guru's
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Start Console.app, then try to start calibre, post the output you see in Console.app.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
gurr888

Here is what is on Console when I tried to start Calibre - thanks for your help!

11/6/11 6:25:04 PM [0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612] Python function terminated unexpectedly: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/folders/nl/nlpuH7872RWry++8ZQ+j5++++TM/-Tmp-/Jill Gurr/Create Now-calibre-gui.socket'
11/6/11 6:25:04 PM [0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612] Traceback (most recent call last):
11/6/11 6:25:04 PM [0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 147, in main
11/6/11 6:25:04 PM [0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612] return run_entry_point()
11/6/11 6:25:04 PM [0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 116, in run_entry_point
11/6/11 6:25:04 PM [0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612] return getattr(pmod, func)()
11/6/11 6:25:04 PM [0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612] File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 350, in main
11/6/11 6:25:04 PM [0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612] OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/folders/nl/nlpuH7872RWry++8ZQ+j5++++TM/-Tmp-/Jill Gurr/Create Now-calibre-gui.socket'
11/6/11 6:25:04 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[99] ([0x0-0x4d94d9].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[49612]) Exited with exit code: 255
Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something on your computer is preventing calibre from creating a socket. I'm afraid I dont know enough about OS X to guess what that might be.

Generically, try rebooting your computer.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
gurr888

Thanks for the suggestion but the rebooting didn't help. I don't know anything about creating sockets... I hope someone can help!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Wouldn't you have to be root to write into /var/tmp ?
That implies that the tmp environment variable is set funny.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Wouldn't you have to be root to write into /var/tmp ?
That implies that the tmp environment variable is set funny.
I think on OS X the /tmp directory is randomized. /tmp is usually a symlink pointing to something in /var/tmp
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
gurr888

This doesn't sound very hopeful...
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
gurr888

I was able to download the older version of Calibre to use on an old Macintosh iBook. After all of that, I've discovered that it doesn't allow any editing or changes but seems to be just a viewer.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I was able to download the older version of Calibre to use on an old Macintosh iBook. After all of that, I've discovered that it doesn't allow any editing or changes but seems to be just a viewer.
Editing or changing what? The original post just mentioned conversion to mobi format, and Calibre will do that (as long as the source book is not DRM protected against That.

Calibre is not an eBook editor if that was what you were looking for. It is an eBook library manager that allows management of a set of ebooks and their associated metadata, and conversion between different eBook formats. It also provides an eBook viewer.

If you are looking for an editor, what format are you trying to edit? As an example if you were looking for an ePub editor then Sigil is a good candidate.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
gurr888

Thank you for clarifying that Calibre is not what I need, since I do need an eBook editor. I appreciate the tip about Sigil. If I can figure it out through their user guide, it seems to be exactly what I want! Much appreciated.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
aground
aground began at the beginning.

Is MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 incompatible with Calibre?

I'm using a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. I've tried Calibre version calibre-0.8.26.dgm and received the message "not recognized." I run Calibre on my old laptop fine. This is the first Mac software I've tried that didn't install. Is there a downlevel version of Calibre for Macs that works?
EJ

Found the error. Mine. The screen with the Applications / Calibre icons was buried beneath all the windows. My bad. It's working fine, now. Thanks for a great product.
EJ

Last edited by aground; 11-15-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: fixed the problme
aground is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, can't open