Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Oilfieldtrash
Oilfieldtrash began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
National Geographic Request

Surprised that there is not a recipe for National Geographic magazine available for Calibre program. I have had my Kindle 3 for about a month and am amazed by the number of periodicals available (for free!!) thru the Calibre interface. I have spread the news to some acquaintances who also have eReaders. So if anyone could possibly develop a recipe for National Geographic and post it, I would be in their gratitude. I have checked previous posts and did not see that it is currently available.
Also if a successful recipe is developed, I would love it if it would be one of the periodicals automatically available thru the "Fetch News" dropdown on the Calibre program. (Hint, hint, Kovid?)
This is my first post, and my missives will mainly be in the form of requests. Wish I were sharp enough to develop recipes on my own. I may have to try delving into it.
Thanks.
Oilfieldtrash
Oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfieldtrash View Post
So if anyone could possibly develop a recipe for National Geographic and post it, I would be in their gratitude. I have checked previous posts and did not see that it is currently available.
When requesting, you should always provide a link to the RSS feed for the site you want. If the site has no feed, link to the best page that has links to the articles.
Quote:
Also if a successful recipe is developed, I would love it if it would be one of the periodicals automatically available thru the "Fetch News" dropdown on the Calibre program. (Hint, hint, Kovid?)
You don't have to request this separately, Kovid will add it to the builtin list unless it has extremely narrow appeal. NG would probably have wide appeal.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Oilfieldtrash

As requested, the RSS feed for National Geographic magazine is feed://feeds.nationalgeographic.com/ng/News/News_Main. Hopefully that is a help to developing Calibre recipe for this periodical. Appreciate it.
Oilfieldtrash
Old 11-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
As requested, the RSS feed for National Geographic magazine is feed://feeds.nationalgeographic.com/ng/News/News_Main. Hopefully that is a help to developing Calibre recipe for this periodical. Appreciate it.
Oilfieldtrash
I looked into that last year but that site is hard to properly treat. Definitely not something I would do for free.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Oilfieldtrash
with that, I've only gotten this:

Spoiler:
Code:
class AdvancedUserRecipe1290991834(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title          = u'National Geographic Rss news basic'
    oldest_article = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100

feeds          = [(u'National Geo Rss basic', u'http://feeds.nationalgeographic.com/ng/News/News_Main')]

onle some indice, very sort, national geographic have not a good rss,

With class and great style that has this publication, the rss is very cumbersome and miserable. they should make some improvements in its own rss, it would not hurt.

recipe in mode basic... ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-33750.gif
Views:	357
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	61997   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-33749.gif
Views:	352
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	61998   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-33748.gif
Views:	354
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	61999   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-33747.gif
Views:	333
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	62000   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-33746.gif
Views:	333
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	62001  
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Oilfieldtrash

Thanks to all for checking into this. I should have figured that this was not an easy one to convert due to it not already being available as a Calibre periodical. Great to be member of forum and hope to have some more input in the future. Have great day to all.

Oilfieldtrash