Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #16
marian8i
marian8i began at the beginning.

Device: none
It would be possible if I lived in new york where it was bought as a gift for me and not in greece... too many kilometres, aren't they? and of course no receipt etc

There is no option of returning it.
I will have to live with the ads and wait for some hack... or turn it wireless but then no possibility of buying books... of course you can always download some for free or not?
any good sites for kindle books, please?
marian8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, you only see the ads when you're not reading. You could just keep the cover closed. You do have a cover for your Kindle, I hope!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #18
marian8i

Unhappy

maybe it is not such a big problem practically, but it is a big problem in its logic...
until registration Kindle was a nice little device full of books and knowlwdge... now it looks more like a mobile advertisement than an e-reader...
this is why i feel it is a shame that amazon has created! the KSO has nothing to do with books! it doesn't even advertise books! it is all about face creams and luxury hotels! it is fucking insulting, isn' t it?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian8i View Post
maybe it is not such a big problem practically, but it is a big problem in its logic...
until registration Kindle was a nice little device full of books and knowlwdge... now it looks more like a mobile advertisement than an e-reader...
this is why i feel it is a shame that amazon has created! the KSO has nothing to do with books! it doesn't even advertise books! it is all about face creams and luxury hotels! it is fucking insulting, isn' t it?
No. You made the voluntary choice to save $25 and get the ads in exchange. Nobody made you. You could have paid $25 more and got the normal Kindle instead. The choice was entirely yours.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #20
marian8i

It was not my choice, it was a gift!

However, be careful with all this "free choice" analysis, because:

1. my boyfriend, who bought it, was told in the store, that it just pops now and then some ads, not that it has them as screensavers! where is his "free" choice? on what real facts? other people were fooled too by the "free" companies!

2. it is called special offers! how ridiculous! does it advertise any books or relevant offers? not really... basically it advertises an olay face cream! sorry, i am not that kind of woman, i find it insulting to have such an ad on my kindle!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
1. my boyfriend, who bought it, was told in the store, that it just pops now and then some ads, not that it has them as screensavers! where is his "free" choice? on what real facts? other people were fooled too by the "free" companies!
With respect, though, the fact that the store gave your boyfriend the wrong information is not Amazon's fault. Amazon make it perfectly clear what form the advertising takes. They say:

Quote:
New, Lower Price
Get the same bestselling Kindle for $25 less—only $114.
Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
Receive special offers directly on your Kindle. Example special offers include:

* $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
* Save up to $500 off Amazon's already low prices on select HDTVs
* $1 for a Kindle book, choose from thousands of books
* Spend $10 on Kindle books and get a free $10 Amazon.com Gift Card

Special offers and sponsored screensavers display on the Kindle screensaver and on the bottom of the home screen—they don't interrupt reading.
Quote:
2. it is called special offers! how ridiculous! does it advertise any books or relevant offers? not really... basically it advertises an olay face cream! sorry, i am not that kind of woman, i find it insulting to have such an ad on my kindle!
There are, from what other people have said, a number of offers which have been of interest to MR members. One recently mentioned was a low-cost subscription to Audible, and many people who do read eBooks also listen to audiobooks.

I'm sorry that you're not happy with the ads, but in all fairness that's not Amazon's fault.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-17-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian8i
this is why i feel it is a shame that amazon has created! the KSO has nothing to do with books!
You said all this in the other (current) thread, so was it really necessary to resurrect this year-old thread to say it again? Give it a rest already.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
a321m
a321m began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3.2.1
i have a question for NiLuJe. i did the jailbreak and screensaver hacks from a previous post of yours....i believe the ss hack was .22.N and i got your screen saying that the screensaver hack was successful so i went to put picture files (created by someone specifically for the kindle) into the linkss/screensavers folder when i plug in the kindle...after restarting the kindle, i still have ads =[ i'v backed up all my books so my computer so that i can "restore to factory settings" my kindle....it still doesnt show...only ads =[ yea, i have the 3.2.1 i also know theres a youtube video with someone explaining how its done...that didnt work either XD yea, i tried several methods...nothing seems promising though...is there anything i can do?
a321m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #24
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Return it and spend more money for the WiFi model?
Better Idea....

Contact Amazon and just pay to upgrade it. ($30-40?)

I just received a replacement Kindle (my K3 3g wifi got a bad screen)
the new one was the same, except it was a K3 3g wifi w/SO)

I was NOT a happy camper. Gave them a Big No on the Satisfaction survey, and they sent me a follow up e-mail...

At Amazon they "Turned off" Special Offers on my Kindle account and had me do a Factory Reset. My kindle software went from a 3.2.1 to a 3.3 and there are no more Special offers....

So I have no doubt that if you want to get rid of the SO on your Kindle, you may be able to do it by paying an Upgrade fee, and they can disable SO on your Kindle. Try contacting Customer service and asking them.

Be advised that doing a Factory Reset will delete your documents, so back up any side-loaded books. Anything you downloaded from Amazon can be re-downloaded easily and is not a problem.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Quote:
It was not my choice, it was a gift!

One thing I noticed, you CAN go on the Amazon website to your Kindle account and Tailor the adds to give you what you want. You can tell it among a dozen different categories which you prefer, (want more of) and which you dislike, (want less of)
Cant remember all the categories now, but they included travel, books, movies, beauty, electronics, etc.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #26
bcumyns
bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300
Special Offers

Quote:
You can remove the special offers from the Manage Your Kindle page on amazon. Look for a column labeled "Special Offers" and then click on the "Edit" link. You will be charged $40.00 and the ads will be gone.
bcumyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #27
dynamdrew
dynamdrew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Does anyone actually have the dead authors screen savers in a file somewhere? I love them a lot but unfortunately own a KSO 3G. I love the ads and the discount and am not looking to cheat the system.
dynamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #28
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
How do you propose to display the dead author screensavers without disabling the ads?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote