Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
lordeagle
lordeagle began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Post Kindle marker mode on PW4 not as sexy as on PW2

Hy guys

I'm wondering why the marker behaviour of on my kindle devices differ.
I have two kindles both on the same firmware (5.12.2). A Paperwhite 2 & 4.
The PW4 is jailbroken, while PW2 should still be as amazon likes Kindles to be...

However, I really want that marker behaviour I know from the PW2. It's way better to read while marking. Anyone knows how to enforce it?

On PW2 it looks like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pw2marker.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	180339

on PW4 it looks like this:

Name:	pw4marker.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	180338

I definitively prefer the way it's done on the PW2. Where does that setting come from? How can I teach the PW4 to mark like the PW2 does?
lordeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #2
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
It is a feature, and it has been on PW4 for a long time now (BTW your images are reversed, the bottom one is the old implementation).

I have come to like the newer implementation as disturbing as it may have seemed at first.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 02:48 AM   #3
lordeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is a feature, and it has been on PW4 for a long time now (BTW your images are reversed, the bottom one is the old implementation).

I have come to like the newer implementation as disturbing as it may have seemed at first.
That's what I though in first place, that it is a feature deriving from newer kindle firmware. I have been stuck previously for a long time on 5.9.X using a jailbroken PW3. Now, I bought that PW2 and PW4 second-hand ... and they both came with never firmware on it. So I assumed that is must be coming from newer firmware.

But no, my screenshots are not reversed: the PW2 screenshot is first - shows the marker behaviour I want. The PW4 has IMHO the old marker experience. And honestly I assume that this comes from the jailbreak. Or maybe just from the migration 10.x to 11.x to 12.x that this kindle has undergone.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordeagle View Post
And honestly I assume that this comes from the jailbreak. Or maybe just from the migration 10.x to 11.x to 12.x that this kindle has undergone.
There is no way the jailbreak has anything to do with it.

The only result of a jailbreak is the addition of a key that allows certain applications to run.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
lordeagle

But what is it then? I don't see any setting that sounds like a marking behaviour either on the official UI nor with 'lipc-probe -av'
Can I safely try a factory reset without loosing the JB?
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
hius07
Guru
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordeagle View Post
Can I safely try a factory reset without loosing the JB?
No you cannot.

In the meantime you can rejaibreak PW4 on any firmware.
After jb you can downgrade to 5.10.1.3 and have you favorite highlighting.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=782
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:42 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I prefer the shaded version which I have on my PW2. I don't like the underline method my PW3 does. They have different firmware versions. The PW2 has 5.9.7. whereas the PW3 has 5.12.3.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
What firmware version are you running on the PW4?

I don’t remember when exactly it was implemented but the underline during text selection should be default already by 5.12.

Of course, it could be one of those features that Amazon enables over wi-fi. If you’re keeping your PW4 on airplane mode, might want to try connecting it to wi-fi.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 AM   #9
lordeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
What firmware version are you running on the PW4?

I don’t remember when exactly it was implemented but the underline during text selection should be default already by 5.12.

Of course, it could be one of those features that Amazon enables over wi-fi. If you’re keeping your PW4 on airplane mode, might want to try connecting it to wi-fi.
I'm on 5.12.2 (same version as on PW2). So it should not be caused by the wrong firmware version. Unless Amazon has different feature rollout strategies for the paperwhite device generations. But still I'd think if so it would be the other way around, that older devices get new features later...

I'll switch on wifi now for a day. .... and if that doesn't help - I'll ask Amazon for support
Old 07-06-2020, 03:34 AM   #10
lordeagle

Turning on wifi helped a lot ... after a few minutes they got me updated to 5.12.5

.... finally I have the marker behaviour I want on the PW4.

Name:	pw4_marker_5-12-5.png
Views:	28
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	180432

Thanks all