Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #1
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Tor.com Short Fiction

Tor.com are setting up a new newsletter for short fiction. You can sign up here: https://www.tor.com/2020/06/25/sign-...on-newsletter/
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Got it.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
^ I mean, when I posted above, that I joined.

TODAY: Just got the email for the free ebook. About 19 mb for epub / 38 mb for mobi. Now downloaded.

Looks like some great reading.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-29-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:11 AM   #4
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook HD+, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ I mean, when I posted above, that I joined.

TODAY: Just got the email for the free ebook. About 19 mb for epub / 38 mb for mobi. Now downloaded.

Looks like some great reading.
I wasn't expecting them to do it like that, nor quite that much each time. That's pretty awesome!

But wow, the PDF version is 340MB.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:58 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Note that this is not a USA/Canada only deal. I've just signed up from the UK.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
kyrilson
Addict
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I wasn't expecting them to do it like that, nor quite that much each time. That's pretty awesome!

But wow, the PDF version is 340MB.
You know there are epub and mobi versions too, right?
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #7
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook HD+, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
You know there are epub and mobi versions too, right?
Yeah, that's the ones I downloaded. I was just commenting on how bulked up the PDF was.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
The Epub version is bulky too - I ran it through an epub to epub conversion in Calibre and got it from the original download size of 20.4 Mb to 2.65 Mb. I suspect graphics and different style sheets.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
The Epub version is bulky too - I ran it through an epub to epub conversion in Calibre and got it from the original download size of 20.4 Mb to 2.65 Mb. I suspect graphics and different style sheets.
There are some problems with the ePub. One of them is the graphics have some duplicates. And Charis SIL is embedded.

I've losslessly compressed the graphics at a compression rate of 70. I've removed the duplicate graphics and fixed HTML (search/replace). I've removed the embedded fonts. I've combined all the CSS and removed all the @media for Kindles. I've managed to so far get the ePub down to 1695KB. No conversion needed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've losslessly compressed the graphics at a compression rate of 70.
I am skeptical that the compression you did was lossless. What was the original image format and what type of compression did you apply?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I am skeptical that the compression you did was lossless. What was the original image format and what type of compression did you apply?
It wasn't lossless. It was a recompression of the JPG images. But it also got rid of the garbage in the JPG making them even smaller. You won't notice any difference in the original or the newly compressed images especially with eInk.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It wasn't lossless. It was a recompression of the JPG images. But it also got rid of the garbage in the JPG making them even smaller. You won't notice any difference in the original or the newly compressed images especially with eInk.
Then why did you write that you losslessly compressed them? JPEG compression itself is lossy and JPEG recompression results in additional loss. There is not necessarily anything wrong with that, but it is wrong to call it lossless.

Also, when I come to an illustration that merits it, I open the book on a tablet to view that illustration, so I probably would notice.

It is possible to make lossless transformations of JPEG images, such as cropping and rotations that are integer multiples of 90 degrees. But cropping and/or rotating and saving as JPEG does not necessarily do so losslessly.

The meanings of words matter.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Then why did you write that you losslessly compressed them? JPEG compression itself is lossy and JPEG recompression results in additional loss. There is not necessarily anything wrong with that, but it is wrong to call it lossless.

Also, when I come to an illustration that merits it, I open the book on a tablet to view that illustration, so I probably would notice.

It is possible to make lossless transformations of JPEG images, such as cropping and rotations that are integer multiples of 90 degrees. But cropping and/or rotating and saving as JPEG does not necessarily do so losslessly.

The meanings of words matter.
Because that's the name of the feature in the Calibre editor. When done, the graphics are losslessly compressed or recompressed.