Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
w2tq
w2tq began at the beginning.

Device: none
Server-based ePub "reader"

ePub files are normally downloaded to a user's PC where they are opened by an ePub reader. Is there an open-source package for a server-installed ePub "reader" that will render the ePub file in html on demand and send the html to the client's browser (e.g., IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.)?

Note: I placed the word "reader" in quotation marks because it's technically not a reader in the usual sense.

Please let me know of any other forums where I can post this query.
w2tq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can run the Calibre server and use that with a web browser to read eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Calibre has an online library service that allows one to read on their browser. It does, however, download the ePub to the computer first...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
w2tq

Thank you for your replies. I am looking for a solution where the ePub file is not downloaded but instead resides solely on the server. I recognize that this might no be possible, short of coding a system from scratch.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
Thank you for your replies. I am looking for a solution where the ePub file is not downloaded but instead resides solely on the server. I recognize that this might no be possible, short of coding a system from scratch.
If you borrow from Overdrive, you can read online using your web browser.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Calibre does provide that ability for epub files (online reading, any download is on internet temp cache only and pretty much every browser does that).

Another option is COPS.
https://blog.slucas.fr/projects/cali...ds-php-server/
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You can try epub.js, but I think it's also downloaded.

Last edited by Jellby; 06-18-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
w2tq

Just to clarify, I own the work. It is now in pdf format; for a variety of reasons, I contemplate converting it to the ePub 3.0 format. I wish to offer it to others, but I want to prevent copying, which might not be possible without a DRM solution. I also own (and code) the website where the work would be hosted.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Just to clarify, I own the work. It is now in pdf format; for a variety of reasons, I contemplate converting it to the ePub 3.0 format. I wish to offer it to others, but I want to prevent copying, which might not be possible without a DRM solution. I also own (and code) the website where the work would be hosted.
You’d have to DIY your own solution including DRM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I think it was the great Feyd-Rautha who said "If you want to hold on to your possessions, set them free!" (or something like that...)

Save yourself the headache of going down the DRM rabbit hole. DRM is VERY difficult to do properly, and very easy to bypass. It only keeps the honest customers honest.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:51 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
DRM is an illusion.
You can't prevent copies.
You can sue commercial pirates.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote