Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
jmmcg9
Connoisseur
jmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Bigger screen Forma vs Oasis 2

I have an Oasis 2 and have been patiently waiting for Amazon to come out with a larger screen. Unfortunately I see no indication that will happen any time soon or if it is even being considered.
How significant is the extra inch on the Kobo Forma? My eyes are not getting any better. It looks to me like the larger screen in combination with the ability to use landscape mode would allow a significant increase in font size without a huge reduction in the amount of content per page. Any thoughts?
Practical battery life on the Oasis is poor. How does the Forma compare? Note I tested the Oasis battery life using the same specs Amazon lists in the fine print. It met the spec. However, increasing the back light to a useable setting and turning on WiFi Exponentially reduces battery life.
Finally, I have been locked into Kindle since the 2nd generation. Is the conversion from Kindle format to Kobo compatible content a hassle? (I am tech savvy, but prefer simplicity). If I make the move, I am thinking I would still buy Books from Amazon so that I will maintain a consistent content, in hopes that Amazon will eventually come out with a larger screen reader. Can content from the Kobo store be converted to read on a Kindle?
Thanks, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
Finally, I have been locked into Kindle since the 2nd generation. Is the conversion from Kindle format to Kobo compatible content a hassle? (I am tech savvy, but prefer simplicity). If I make the move, I am thinking I would still buy Books from Amazon so that I will maintain a consistent content, in hopes that Amazon will eventually come out with a larger screen reader. Can content from the Kobo store be converted to read on a Kindle?
Thanks, Joe
The conversion from Kindle format to epub/kepub is not a hassle once everything is properly set up with Alf plugins etc. The Kobo books are also easily convertible to a Kindle format (the simplest way is to download an epub from your Kobo account via your web browser and convert that).

I don't have a Forma, so cannot answer your questions about it. Hopefully someone with a Forma will be along soon.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
once everything is properly set up with Alf plugins etc.
Perhaps a little tangential to the topic, but I have been thinking for a while that Alf does such outstanding work already, what will they be capable of when they finish their apprenticeship?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Perhaps a little tangential to the topic, but I have been thinking for a while that Alf does such outstanding work already, what will they be capable of when they finish their apprenticeship?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD
For context about my opinions--which are just that, opinions, not any kind of expert wise and sage my way or the highway advice--I started out with Kindle 2 keyboard, thru Kindle Oasis (the first large one); and did have Oasis 2. I have since primarily moved to Kobo devices, and Pocketbook Touch HD 3 as my go-to readers. So right now, although I still have Kindles lying about; the only Kindle I still pick up every few weeks is the Voyage. The Oasis I gifted on to a family member.

Quote:
How significant is the extra inch on the Kobo Forma?
- I use the Forma, daily when on the treadmill; because yes, it's bigger and nicer for reading nice, big fonts when I'm 2 feet+ away from the device. I maybe have to charge it every 2 weeks; with ~1 hr daily use. unknown if that's ok or not for some people.
- but... only on the treadmill; where it's propped up and I'm not actively holding onto it. I find it (personally) a little large for my comfort to actively hold. I use the Libra HD (in the house), and the Clara HD for the walkin' around, need a smallish reader to put in a pocket and take along.

Quote:
Practical battery life on the Oasis is poor. How does the Forma compare? Note I tested the Oasis battery life using the same specs Amazon lists in the fine print. It met the spec. However, increasing the back light to a useable setting and turning on WiFi Exponentially reduces battery life.
- Forma (and Libra, and all my devices); I consistently leave networking OFF all the time; and only turn it on when I want to buy something, upgrade firmware, or occasionally need it for looking up a word--and then turn it right back off again. So I don't think I can help answer your battery life question; because I think our usage patterns are different enough that my experiences wouldn't match up with your usages

Quote:
Honestly, this is exactly what I do, lol. When I'm looking for a new book, I'll buy it from Amazon (usually from my Windows Computer, but sometimes from the Voyage). Back in Windows, using Kindle for PC, download the book; then use Calibre to convert from Amazon format to epub; and transfer it to the Kobo(s) via Calibre. Yes, it's a lot of steps--but I like to keep my books in Calibre. If you're a Mac person, I suspect something similar can be done; but I can't speak to that. I don't use a Mac.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
I have an Oasis 2 and have been patiently waiting for Amazon to come out with a larger screen. Unfortunately I see no indication that will happen any time soon or if it is even being considered.
How significant is the extra inch on the Kobo Forma? My eyes are not getting any better. It looks to me like the larger screen in combination with the ability to use landscape mode would allow a significant increase in font size without a huge reduction in the amount of content per page. Any thoughts?
Joe, I use a Clara as I'm not interested in a larger than 6"screen. But:

Quote:
Finally, I have been locked into Kindle since the 2nd generation. Is the conversion from Kindle format to Kobo compatible content a hassle? (I am tech savvy, but prefer simplicity). If I make the move, I am thinking I would still buy Books from Amazon so that I will maintain a consistent content, in hopes that Amazon will eventually come out with a larger screen reader.
I buy all my books from Amazon and read them on a Kobo. The initial setup might sound cumbersome (reading about it is worse than the process actually is), but once you have it set, it is a simple process to download new Kindle books with Kindle for PC, import them into Calibre and convert them. Once everything is done, downloading and moving a book takes something like 10 seconds.

A bonus to importing your books is you can leave WiFi off all the time and that will save you some battery.

I plug my Kobo into my PC a couple of times a week to add new books and that is the only charging I ever do on it.
  1. To download a book from Amazon, I use an old version of Kindle for PC. Amazon changed their format from .azw3 to .kfx and it is harder to work with. Kindle for PC 1.17 still works and will download .azw3 files (just make sure you turn off auto updating which is enabled by default). You can get Kindle for PC 1.17 here: FileHippo
  2. Install Calibre (if you don't have it already): Calibre
  3. Add the Apprentice Alf plug-ins: Alf's blog

That should be it.

If you move ahead with buying the Forma, you might find yourself enjoying a lot of little tweaks and extras the Kobo firmware offers. For one thing, you can long press on a book cover and read the synopsis without opening the book.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-19-2020 at 01:06 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
ps67
Evangelist
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Color PB633
I bought my Kobo Aura One (7.8") because my KPW has the screen too little. There was no Oasis 2 nor Forma at that time. I probably would buy a 8" screen Kindle but not a 7" Kindle Oasis 3 (or 2) screen.

For me the screen makes a big difference. When I read on my Paperwhite, I use it when KA1 is too big to take with me, I am satisfied but I lack the large screen. I can't value exactly the difference between a 7" and a 8" but I imagine that it is sensible.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For me, even if the Forma's screen was the same size as the Oasis's I'd still prefer the Forma because of its user interface. Looking at your books in My Books it can group them by author, series, and collections. In the plain ungrouped mode you can sort them by recent, date added, title, author, series, file size, and file type. For the authors group you can sort by last name, first name, recent, and number of books. And so on.

Series is a new thing, previously we used Collections.

The larger size is nice but I can't say that I notice/miss it that much when I put a book on the Oasis to see how it looks there. I mainly find using a low contrast font helps; e.g. Bookerly and Caecilia. (A low contrast font doesn't have as much difference in the thickness with the thin and thick strokes and has blunter serifs.)

I also buy my books from Amazon and use Calibre to transform them to EPUB.

Last edited by hobnail; 05-19-2020 at 02:40 PM.
hobnail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #9
jmmcg9
Connoisseur
jmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enough

All,
Thank you so much for all of the great responses. You answered all of my questions. I think I will make the move (once I figure out how to convince my wife I need this...).
I have used Calibre to transfer EPubs to the Kindle, but I have never heard of Alf. I assume it is a Calibre plug-in. What will it do for me?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All,
Thank you so much for all of the great responses. You answered all of my questions. I think I will make the move (once I figure out how to convince my wife I need this...).
I have used Calibre to transfer EPubs to the Kindle, but I have never heard of Alf. I assume it is a Calibre plug-in. What will it do for me?
Thanks,
Joe
It removes the DRM. Without it removed calibre won't be able to convert the kindle book to epub.

The way I do things is on the Amazon Kindle page Manage your Content and Devices I set default device to Hobnail's Kindle Cloud Reader. There's a link at the top, Devices, where you do this. Then back on the Content page you click on the button that has 3 dots on it and select Download and Transfer via USB. After it's downloaded to your computer you drag the file into Calibre's window; when you have Alf's DRM remover plugin installed it removes the DRM at the moment you drag the file into Calibre's window. The original file, the one outside of Calibre, still has the DRM, but the one inside Calibre has its DRM removed. I remove the orignal file after I've dragged it into Calibre.

Last edited by hobnail; 05-19-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:26 PM   #11
jmmcg9
Connoisseur

Excellent, thanks for the clarification!
On the topic of DRMs, my local Bookstore (Book People, Austin, Texas) sells eBooks that use something called “MyMustReads”. Apparently this format can be read on IOS or Android tablets using their App, but they have no eReader apps. I would love to support my local bookstore, but this is a show stopper. Serious reading on an iPad is not a good experience in my opinion.
Is it possible to read this format on Forma using Calibre?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
jmmcg9
Connoisseur

ZodWallop,
I added the DeDRM plug-in and I successfully downloaded & removed the DRM from a book from my Amazon account using the “download & transfer via USB” link. In Calibre I used the “eInk Kindle ebooks” setting under the Customize DRM menu. This required that I enter my Kindle’s serial number. I assume if I sell my Kindle that will no longer be an option. So I tried”Kindle for MAC/PC ebooks” under the Customize DeDRM menu.This requires you to enter the Keyfile from the PC. I have no idea what or where that file is located. Do you know where I find that file? Am I safe in assuming this is the reason You use the older version of the PC Kindle Reader?
Thanks, Joe
Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ZodWallop,
I added the DeDRM plug-in and I successfully downloaded & removed the DRM from a book from my Amazon account using the “download & transfer via USB” link. In Calibre I used the “eInk Kindle ebooks” setting under the Customize DRM menu. This required that I enter my Kindle’s serial number. I assume if I sell my Kindle that will no longer be an option. So I tried”Kindle for MAC/PC ebooks” under the Customize DeDRM menu.This requires you to enter the Keyfile from the PC. I have no idea what or where that file is located. Do you know where I find that file? Am I safe in assuming this is the reason You use the older version of the PC Kindle Reader?
Thanks, Joe
Joe, it's been a long time since I installed Kindle for PC and the DeDRM tool, but I believe the process is automated.

Hopefully I don't sound naive (since it has been a while), but I think you are overthinking it. I'm pretty sure you just install Kindle for PC and log in (and make sure to set it so it won't auto-update).

Then you install the Alf plug-ins and that's that. I don't think I ever customized the DeDRM tools.

If you must, then click Import Existing Keyfiles on the customize DeDRM plug-in for Kindle for PC.

It's easy enough to test. Download Kindle for PC, use it to download a couple of books you already own. Go to Documents/My Kindle Content (assuming you are using Windows 10) and import the .azw files into Calibre. Then try opening one of the books or converting it to something else. If either works, the plug-ins work.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-20-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
This required that I enter my Kindle’s serial number. I assume if I sell my Kindle that will no longer be an option.
That's the correct procedure. You'll need to keep your kindle in order to continue using the DeDRM plugin; kindle books are tied to a specific ereader.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
That's the correct procedure. You'll need to keep your kindle in order to continue using the DeDRM plugin; kindle books are tied to a specific ereader.
But no, that's not so. I don't have a Kindle e-reader and I never have.

You can use Kindle for PC and the DeDRM plug-in will pull the key from there.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-20-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Tags
kobo forma, oasis 2017