Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What will we discuss in June 2020?
This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone 4 80.00%
The World Unseen by Shamim Sarif 1 20.00%
Passing Strange by Ellen Klages 5 100.00%
The Not So Secret Emails of Coco Pinchard by Robert Bryndza 1 20.00%
Kingsblood Royal by Sinclair Lewis 1 20.00%
Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do any of the choices appeal to you?
Not really. Not even my own.

P.S. I had several books I wanted to nominate, and all of them were problematic--either price or availability was an issue. One book I wanted to nominate was over $40 someplace! So the book I ended up nominating isn't one I feel invested in.

Last edited by Catlady; 05-11-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, one of them in $3.99, one is $9.99 (USD), so we could go that way. But seriously, Catlady, I think it's up to you to break the tie. Both have good reviews on Goodreads (3.94 v. 3.99 -- statistically irrelevant), both are short. One has a huge wait at both of my libraries, but if it wins, I'll deal with it. So toss a coin, or research them, or whatever random selection mechanism works best for you.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, one of them in $3.99, one is $9.99 (USD), so we could go that way. But seriously, Catlady, I think it's up to you to break the tie. Both have good reviews on Goodreads (3.94 v. 3.99 -- statistically irrelevant), both are short. One has a huge wait at both of my libraries, but if it wins, I'll deal with it. So toss a coin, or research them, or whatever random selection mechanism works best for you.
There's no way I can choose between two books apparently filled with elements I automatically reject--fantasy, time travel, magic, comedy: .

I'm not the only person who hasn't voted, though. If no one else votes, you folks can figure out which you prefer in a run-off.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:34 AM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
If it's any consolation (I accept that it's probably not), the touch of fantasy/magic in Passing Strange is very small and effectively irrelevant.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
If it's any consolation (I accept that it's probably not), the touch of fantasy/magic in Passing Strange is very small and effectively irrelevant.
True. When I first started reading it, I was disappointed because I'd expected fantasy. Then I just enjoyed the story.
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Passing Strange Has some really awful CSS. At least I was able to fix it wasily enough thanks to Calibre's ability to remove unused CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
While I am still sad that This is How You Lose the Time War did not win, especially since it fit the theme on both a figurative and literal way (its about color!), I am enjoying Passing Strange so far.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
While I am still sad that This is How You Lose the Time War did not win, especially since it fit the theme on both a figurative and literal way (its about color!), I am enjoying Passing Strange so far.
Well, I have This is How You Lose the Time War on hold at the library. Both audio and ebook versions. They'll eventually find their way here, and I'm looking forward to reading it.