Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
montechristos
Enthusiast
montechristos began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 2 (from Kindle Voyage)
Calibre 'translates' greek titles to english

Hi,

(sorry for the duplicate posting, but I am not sure if I posted in the right section)

I am trying to move my books from Kindle Voyage to Onyx Boox Note 2.
Reading from the Kindle to Calibre's library is ok.
However, when I push the library to the Note 2, all the Greek fonts in the titles are 'translated' to English characters.
Can this be disabled and push them with the correct fonts?

montechristos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by montechristos View Post
Hi,

(sorry for the duplicate posting, but I am not sure if I posted in the right section)
Duplicate posting is severely frowned on.

Quote:
I am trying to move my books from Kindle Voyage to Onyx Boox Note 2.
Reading from the Kindle to Calibre's library is ok.
However, when I push the library to the Note 2, all the Greek fonts in the titles are 'translated' to English characters.
Can this be disabled and push them with the correct fonts?

See this thread: Why calibre always translate non-English file name into Latin letters? . That hasn't changed in the last decade. The only time you can use non-Latin characters is in save to disk which does have a preferences option to Convert non-English characters to English equivalents.

For most people, the file name is not where their ereader gets the book title from. On your Kindle, the title and author come from the ebook's metadata and you never see the file name.

A workaround might be to save the books to disk and then copy them to your Note 2.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The metadata inside the files will remain in greek. But th efile name will be translated into english characters for maximum compaitibility. This should not matter since your device will list the files using the internal metadata not the filename.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
montechristos
Enthusiast

Thanks all for the replies (and again, sorry for the frowning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The metadata inside the files will remain in greek. But th efile name will be translated into english characters for maximum compaitibility. This should not matter since your device will list the files using the internal metadata not the filename.
This does not seem to be the case with my Note. I moved an AZW3 file to test, and both in the file system, as well as in my Note2 Library, appears with 'translated' characters, i.e. non-greek.

I will try the 'save to file' functionality and report back.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
montechristos
Enthusiast

Update: 'save to disk' seems to work.
However, it does not keep the dates of the files And I want to display them by date in my Note2.
Any ideas?
Advert
Old 04-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Update: 'save to disk' seems to work.
However, it does not keep the dates of the files And I want to display them by date in my Note2.
Any ideas?
Save to disk is creating a new file. So the dates would be the current date/time.

Have you checked to see if your Note 2 is truly unable to display file metadata? That is pretty basic functionality for any ereader.

Are you using the library view or a file storage view?

If you long press on the book in library view, does it show the Greek title/author?
Old 04-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Following a chat on IRC, where files names in Explorer were mentioned. possibly with the OP:
Note that the file names are NOT titles. Or shouldn't be. An ereader or ereader app should use the metadata in the file for the catalogue/search/home screen etc and never display or use the literal filenames visible to the operating system. Unless obviously the device has an actual file browser. Only a file browser should display file names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you using the library view or a file storage view?

Last edited by Quoth; 04-14-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
montechristos
Enthusiast

Quote:
I moved an AZW3 file to test, and both in the file system, as well as in my Note2 Library, appears with 'translated' characters, i.e. non-greek.
As mentioned above, the library does not show the titles from the metadata, but the incorrect titles. And also the file manager.

When I see the book information, the title is correct. So, probably the library of the Note 2 does not read the meta. Will do some more tests and let you know.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:55 AM   #9
montechristos
Enthusiast

Update: I found the setting in my library to display titles rather than file names

Thank you all for your time!
Old 04-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Update: I found the setting in my library to display titles rather than file names

Thank you all for your time!
Thanks for letting us know the issue has been resolved.