Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 05:23 AM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I agree, absolutely. I was referring to the Women's Rights movement which misappropriated misogyny to mean, "woman-hating" decades ago.
Hitch
"misappropriated"? As opposed to what other meaning?

The OED offers only this in its listing for "misogyny"
Hatred or dislike of, or prejudice against women.

And the example usages given suggest the meaning you describe as "misappropriated" "decades ago" is, in fact, nearly 4 centuries old.

1656 T. Blount Glossographia Misogynie (misoginia), the hate or contempt of women.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 12-12-2019 at 06:00 AM. Reason: fix typo
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I've simply reached my limit on educating people who read something that they don't understand, "on the net" and then think that they should interrogate me about it.
This week's Dilbert comics are timely ones about Dogbert providing tech support. For example: https://dilbert.com/strip/2019-12-11
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
"misappropriated"? As opposed to what other meaning?

The OED offers only this in its listing for "misogyny"
Hatred or dislike of, or prejudice against women.

And the example usages given suggest the meaning you describe as "misappropriated" "decades ago" is, in fact, nearly 4 centuries old.

1656 T. Blount Glossographia Misogynie (misoginia), the hate or contempt of women.
Well, you're right and I effed up.

I don't know--and I admit, this is bugging me--if I misread it years ago, or worse, pulled from the wrong data bank yesterday or whenever. I seem to be misfiring lately, which is disturbing at best.

I've always had near-eidetic recall and...this ain't fun. I'm hoping that it's this new med. S**t.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
liquid Christmas spirit?
We all can make mistakes. Admitting it is positive.
I've mixed up malaprop and misanthrope. The first one sounds like it ought to describe a bad thing.

I clicked on a word in a book briefly last week. Unfortunately it was printed. Fortunately no-one saw me.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #20
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I've simply reached my limit on educating people who read something that they don't understand, "on the net" and then think that they should interrogate me about it.
Toss another thing in the FAQ, write an article, point them to it. I'm sure they'll read it.

Quote:
Or how they want "PDF3" or "Kimble" or any of the other 50 things I've heard, just in the last 3 months.
What, you've never heard of this amazing Amozan Kimble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
WCAG is irrelevant for books and ebooks. It's not even very good for web sites.
Again, while many of the recommendations may not be applicable to ebooks-specifically, you can make your code more future-proof by pick-and-choosing from WCAG + WebAIM.

On the reader side, people may take your HTML and read in non-EPUB readers: DAISY, NVDA, JAWS, and who-knows-what-future-reader. For example, while all EPUB readers/apps don't display <title> in the header, it's still a good idea to include meaningful titles.

On the production side, new enhancements are happening all the time. For example, Multi-Language Spellchecking in Calibre (absolutely fantastic use of lang + xml:lang).

Quote:
Tables as <table>, not pictures of data

Yes, text but not Tables because they work poorly or not at all
What?

Quote:
Foreign letters as actual text, not as little images.

Sadly doesn't work on many ereaders, though it could have years before release
What?

Quote:
Use proper lang + xml:lang

Sadly doesn't work on many ereaders, though it could have years before release
What?

Quote:
Proper alt text

Sadly doesn't work on many ereaders, though it could have years before release.
What?

Quote:
Proper alt text

You need a text caption under the image if it's important for Text to Speech
Yes, also good to have that as backup. But alt text serves a different purpose:

https://webaim.org/techniques/alttext/

Quote:
A few examples of talks:
Snipped, mostly a waste of time.
They explain real-life Accessibility issues from consumers, problems that exist with many current ebooks, plus things you should keep in mind for the future (like the potential legal requirements, etc.).

And as discussed in those talks, library (and academic) purchases are tending towards requiring some base level of Accessibility. If your ebooks won't meet that base level, no purchase.

Quote:
9) Only footnotes in reference works, try an inline right justified paragraph in sans rather than linked footnotes.
??? Can you show me an example of this?

Quote:
12) No page numbers except as right margin "notes" as actual pages in a copy of a reference work that's only ever one paper layout (e.g. Hebrew Bible)
Best to just use standard page-map/page-list and leave the rendering up to the reader.

Using the standard methods also allows users to jump to the exact page, plus navigate through the document per page.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-12-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
liquid Christmas spirit?
We all can make mistakes. Admitting it is positive.
I've mixed up malaprop and misanthrope. The first one sounds like it ought to describe a bad thing.

I clicked on a word in a book briefly last week. Unfortunately it was printed. Fortunately no-one saw me.
No, I wish it were the Nog. :-)

Nope, my misanthropy and brainfart led me to commit a malaprop, kinda. ;-) Ha!

(Screwing up words really DOES distress me. My facility therewith has been one of my joys in life, sigh).

Hitch
Old 12-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Simple comment style for fiction instead of fiddly footnotes (which don't work on every ereader). The note example is right now, you may need to narrow the browser window.
[A few words of note]

More body text. The "note" style will use sans if body is serif, or vice versa. It will have no vertical margin before and a suitable increased vertical margin after so as it's obviously a comment the previous paragraph.

Actually LibreOffice Writer has a style a bit like this called Marginalia.

I know some books really need footnotes. See also The Penguin Guide to Punctuation", R. L. Trask, available free from the author. Chapter 10.

Amazingly some old ereaders don't support even internal links. Even on the newest ereaders the way footnotes work can vary and they are awkward. I think normal text, not a superscript, is needed or they can be too hard to "click".
Old 12-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
nevermind...

Last edited by Turtle91; 12-14-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #24
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
[...]Amazon STUPIDLY had maybe only Latin/Roman and some Greek letters originally on the Kindle, even though the underlying Linux supported most lanaguages years earlier. It had worse language support than 1988 DOS.
Actually, when it comes to non-Latin alphabet support Amazon has a pretty good track record, because Kindles and Kinde apps come with code2000 as the Unicode fallback font, which covers Unicode 5.2. I.e., you'll rarely have to embed a font to display non-Latin characters.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

But at original release Kindles did not, even though the OS did. It took YEARS for Amazon to add support that was there from the beginning in the OS.

You can't assume someone has a Kindle that displays Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean, Hebrew, Arabic etc. Plenty of older Kindles and other old ereaders are still in use.

The entire Gadget / Computer field was USA Centric for decades. I have a not very old Android that only has USA physical keyboard layout support unless you install a 3rd party App. Totally unacceptable US centric behaviour by Google, who bought in Android.

By the late 1990s DOS, Windows (DOS and NT kinds), Mac OS, BSD, Linux all had proper multilingual display and keyboard support.

Kindle, Kobo, Android etc slow adoption of non-latin support etc was crazy!

Don't let me get started on ICANN either.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Anyone can improve our wiki but we do have a couple of pages. Accessible Publishing and Accessible Books Consortium. We also have information in a category called Category:Blind that shows other tips and information.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
But at original release Kindles did not, even though the OS did. It took YEARS for Amazon to add support that was there from the beginning in the OS.

You can't assume someone has a Kindle that displays Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean, Hebrew, Arabic etc. Plenty of older Kindles and other old ereaders are still in use.

The entire Gadget / Computer field was USA Centric for decades. I have a not very old Android that only has USA physical keyboard layout support unless you install a 3rd party App. Totally unacceptable US centric behaviour by Google, who bought in Android.

By the late 1990s DOS, Windows (DOS and NT kinds), Mac OS, BSD, Linux all had proper multilingual display and keyboard support.

Kindle, Kobo, Android etc slow adoption of non-latin support etc was crazy!

Don't let me get started on ICANN either.
Yabbut...

Having the character set, and having the software to CHECK the character set are two different things.

Don't forget that they check for Public Domain and all sorts of stuff. Recipes, and who-knows-what. I suspect that's the holdup--the hitch in the gitalong, so to speak (ha!)--in implementing many of the languages and character sets.

Hitch