Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2016, 03:12 AM   #1
effnflowers
Enthusiast
effnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Sideload using Linux

I'm thinking about buying an Aura H2O and I was wondering if I could use something like Calibre to sideload .epub files I already own to the H2O. I'm running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and my Google-fu let me down when looking for answer as to whether or not sideloading was possible with Linux so hopefully someone can tell me ya or nay.
effnflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #2
rtiangha
Addict
rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.rtiangha has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
It works. I'm using Xubuntu 14.04 with Calibre myself.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Calibre will work fine, or you can just pub any non DRM epubs directly onto the USB drive your H2O shows up as and it’ll still work
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
alec123
alec123 doesn't litteralec123 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (v1), Kobo Mini
Yes, sideloading to the Aura H2O works seamlessly.

I'm running Linux Mint 18 (built on Ubuntu 16.04).

You might want to make sure to download the latest version of Calibre directly from the Calibre website. The versions in the distros are notoriously old and will likely give you problems.
alec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
H2O is a regular USB storage device so it should work with any PC / OS / Software, as long as you can get [DRM-free] EPUB files in the first place. The problem with Linux is the lack of a native client for Adobe Digital Editions. I use a Windows VM for that, others have tried their luck with wine, ...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
effnflowers
Enthusiast
effnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blueeffnflowers can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec123 View Post
Yes, sideloading to the Aura H2O works seamlessly.

I'm running Linux Mint 18 (built on Ubuntu 16.04).

You might want to make sure to download the latest version of Calibre directly from the Calibre website. The versions in the distros are notoriously old and will likely give you problems.
That's great news. Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully the new Snap Package system Ubuntu developed will be adopted by the other distros and we'll see faster updates, so we don't have to go hunting for PPA's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
H2O is a regular USB storage device so it should work with any PC / OS / Software, as long as you can get [DRM-free] EPUB files in the first place. The problem with Linux is the lack of a native client for Adobe Digital Editions. I use a Windows VM for that, others have tried their luck with wine, ...
Thanks for the info. I'll probably run a Windows VM rather than wine if I need Adobe since I've always felt uneasy about running wine.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You might like to read https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?i...160704#opinion for some thoughts on Snap packages.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
effnflowers
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You might like to read https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?i...160704#opinion for some thoughts on Snap packages.
That was an interesting opinion article. Thanks for the link. It's to bad so many articles online aren't dated as it would be nice to know when it was written. I know a couple of weeks ago Ubuntu sponsored a conference in Germany with a lot of the distros attending. It sounds like they addressed a number of concerns and made a lot of good progress. That's where my optimism for Snaps came from.

I'm not pushing any particular solution, I only mentioned Snap because it would be nice if we as users could get quicker software updates than we see from some of the repos. I've been considering switching to Arch because the AUR seems to be kept updated better than the Ubuntu repo.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by effnflowers View Post
I was wondering if I could use something like Calibre to sideload .epub files I already own to the H2O.
DRM free, no problem. Calibre works great. There is, unfortunately, no easy or straightforward way of removing DRM in Linux. I got a free book from Google Play and ended up having to use my work Mac to de-DRM it, and even then I had to jump through several hoops to get the job done. My advice: only buy DRM free.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 08-02-2016 at 03:59 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #10
effnflowers
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
DRM free, no problem. Calibre works great. There is, unfortunately, no easy or straightforward way of removing DRM in Linux. I got a free book from Google Play and ended up having to use my work Mac to de-DRM it, and even then I had to jump through several hoops to get the job done. My advice: only buy DRM free.
Thanks for the tip. I still have money sitting in my Google Play account from a credit I received when I bought my Nexus 5X that I thought I'd use for some books but it sounds like I'll have to spend it on something else before it expires.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
That was an interesting opinion article. Thanks for the link. It's to bad so many articles online aren't dated as it would be nice to know when it was written. I know a couple of weeks ago Ubuntu sponsored a conference in Germany with a lot of the distros attending. It sounds like they addressed a number of concerns and made a lot of good progress. That's where my optimism for Snaps came from.
All the articles were published at the same time -- that is the weekly issue from July 4, 2016.

Quote:
I'm not pushing any particular solution, I only mentioned Snap because it would be nice if we as users could get quicker software updates than we see from some of the repos. I've been considering switching to Arch because the AUR seems to be kept updated better than the Ubuntu repo.
The way I see it, people who want updated software use Arch.
(If you do switch, please use my calibre-git from the AUR, rather than the [community]/calibre package. See the outstanding bug on the Arch bugtracker for details. )

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-02-2016 at 07:02 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
effnflowers
Enthusiast

Ah, I feel foolish for not scrolling to the top of the page.

If I make the switch I'll look for your package in the AUR. Don't know when I'll make the switch as the install process seems really involved. Like really involved.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've had my Glo for almost four years and never used anything but Linux with it in that time.

Calibre Has a Linux version. ADE is a Windows program but runs fine in WINE (I use ADE version 1.7.3). Alf's DRM-removal plugins work fine, I've bought hundreds of DRM ePubs from various retailers and the plugins have never failed to remove the DRM. Those are the only programs I have needed to use.

Edit: Also the program to patch the Kobo firmware works in Linux. Almost forgot that one.

(BTW if you have wi-fi then the Kobo desktop program is not needed at all. If you don't have wi-fi then you would need the desktop program to setup and sync the ereader. I don't know if it is possible to run that in Linux.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-02-2016 at 08:22 PM. Reason: program to patch Kobo firmware works in Linux
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
By the URL I'd say July 4th was the published date.
Quote:

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #15
effnflowers
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I've had my Glo for almost four years and never used anything but Linux with it in that time.

Calibre Has a Linux version. ADE is a Windows program but runs fine in WINE (I use ADE version 1.7.3). Alf's DRM-removal plugins work fine, I've bought hundreds of DRM ePubs from various retailers and the plugins have never failed to remove the DRM. Those are the only programs I have needed to use.

Edit: Also the program to patch the Kobo firmware works in Linux. Almost forgot that one.

(BTW if you have wi-fi then the Kobo desktop program is not needed at all. If you don't have wi-fi then you would need the desktop program to setup and sync the ereader. I don't know if it is possible to run that in Linux.)
Cool, thanks for the info. If I decide to buy some Google Play books it sounds like there is work around that isn't to cumbersome. Although I'll probably run ADE in a Windows VM.

I do have wi-fi so I'm good to go there. I ordered the H2O a little bit ago so now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Do I need special software to patch the firmware or will the over the air firmware updates take care of everything?