Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Can I sideload to all ereaders?

I know I can sideload to a Kindle but can I to a Kindle Paperwhite? How about other ereaders?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can sideload to any ereader.

The Barnes & Noble Nook, however, partitions the space so you only have access to 500 MB of the 4 GB internal memory -- the rest is reserved for synced books.
Alone of ereaders, you probably want to avoid that one.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-01-2014 at 12:07 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can sideload to any ereader.

The Barnes & Noble Nook, however, partitions the space so you only have access to 500 MB of the 4 GB internal memory -- the rest is reserved for synced books.
Alone of ereaders, you probably want to avoid that one.
Thanks Boss
Old 12-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
And if you side load to a Kindle from your pc you want to make sure that the book ends up in the documents folder so that you can actually read it. I usually use the "send to kindle" app to load books that I have on my computer to my Kindle PaperWhite so I don't have to mess with having it plugged in.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I know I can sideload to a Kindle but can I to a Kindle Paperwhite? How about other ereaders?
And if you go with a Kobo H2O, you can sideload and have Calibre create shelves (aka collections) for you which you cannot do with a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And if you side load to a Kindle from your pc you want to make sure that the book ends up in the documents folder so that you can actually read it. I usually use the "send to kindle" app to load books that I have on my computer to my Kindle PaperWhite so I don't have to mess with having it plugged in.
Thanks crich. That does sound easy.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And if you go with a Kobo H2O, you can sideload and have Calibre create shelves (aka collections) for you which you cannot do with a Kindle.
Yeah but we're getting expensive now. (Remember I'm the guy who wanted to buy the Sonys for $29.)
Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPadMini4, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Yeah but we're getting expensive now. (Remember I'm the guy who wanted to buy the Sonys for $29.)
Works with any current Kobo.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Works with any current Kobo.
Good to know, meeeera. Thanks.